Radian - bigger buckles, longer crotch strap, replacing chest clip...why?

burnetta

I've seen many posts about numerous parts being "swapped" out of the radian seats.

I recently purchased 2 Radians (a 65 & an 80). I currently have my 3 year old in the 65 (FF) & my 16 month old (RF) in the 80. (I also have a 5 year old in a Regent)

So far, I love these seats. They seem to fit my kids better than any seat they've ever been in. Is there a reason I would want to replace these parts?

I did see a post about the replacement chest clip helping w/strap pinching on one child & slipping off the shoulders of another. Both my kids seem really comfortable & I couldn't ask for better "alignment" of all the straps, etc..

Is it maybe something to do with the size of the child?

Thanks for the input!:confused:

ADS

LuvBug

it probably has a lot to do with the specific child's size and comfort.

I got to borrow a radian over the weekend and DS had no problems with it and I actually liked the check clip, except it could have been a little wider. DS didnt complain about the crotch buckle and I thought it was fine, as well as the buckles were fine on it.

It also might have to do with the date. I think they did make some changes at the beginning of the year?? so maybe its a pre/post changes thing too?(I cant remember what the changes were but I want to think it had to do with the buckle??)

canadianmom2three

-I also have the Radian, and my DS has always liked the chest clip fine...but I know some children have found it to be uncomfortable, and to draw the harness too tightly into their neck.
-As far as the buckle tongues, the original ones that came with the seat are ok, but after use, they do cause the belt to fold as it enters the tongue, they are not wide enough for the entire width of the harness to slide through smoothly. Some people have noticed this to cause fraying of the harness from the continued friction of the harness moving through the too-small buckle tongue.
-Lastly, the longer crotch strap - this was the first thing I noticed about the Radian and my 4yo son, the crotch area is very tight. I thought he would hate it, and find it very uncomfortable, but he doesn't seem to care. I have noticed now that it is cooler up here, and he is wearing more jeans, it is very difficult to buckle - he is a big boy, and there is NOT a lot of room there!! This would obviously not be an issue for a smaller or thinner child, but at 5yo and 50lbs, DS is looking a bit cramped in there...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've found comfort is kid-specific...my 6 yo was miserable with the harness rubbing on her neck in that seat, and my 20 mo doesn't have a single issue. If you're not having problems, save your money on those new-improved parts :)

ccjones

Just agreeing with the previous posts. My DS would try to pull the harness straps away from his neck because I guess they felt too tight. Using the Britax chest clip has given the neck area MUCH more room, and DS no longer tries to pull the harness straps away from his neck.

I got the wider buckle tongues for *my* benefit; I was spoiled by how smoothly the buckle tongues moved along the harness straps on my MA. The wider buckle tongues do make a difference, and I can buckle my son in his seat more quickly now (we're talking seconds, but still... :p) We used one of our Radians for almost 2 years with the original (narrow) buckle tongues, and we didn't have any fraying issues, thank goodness. But the harness did get twisted a few times, and it was kinda a PITA to untwist.

I did order the longer crotch straps but I don't plan on using them anytime soon. I'm thinking we won't "need" them until DS is 4yo or so as he is a stringbean - tall and skinny. I just figured I'd order the crotch straps while I was thinking of it, and then I could stash them away for now and have access to them immediately when I was ready to make the switch.

If your kids fit in their Radians just fine, and don't complain about the straps rubbing against their necks, then consider yourself lucky! :D

ETA: I was just thinking - for people that put the wider buckle tongues on, they may want to use the longer crotch strap in the long run, because I can see how the wider buckle tongues could dig into the legs of an older, larger child while using the current crotch strap.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC