Carseats on a plane

lovemyfamily

So I am getting in to a pissing contest with a lady on a Pilot Wives Facebook page (my husband is a Captain with American Airlines and I am a "retired" flight attendant). She is trying to tell me that only top rated carseats can be RF on planes. When I asked her what are "top rated" she couldn't tell me and said that 5 years ago when she researched that she read it somewhere.
Before I respond I want to be sure that I am correct. That all FAA approved carseats that can be RF in a car, can be RF in a plane, child under weight limit for RF of course. And is there a link to this that I could post? I fear that will be the only way to shut her up.

I think she was insulted when she replied that she would rather hold her child on her lap, than miss a standby flight (how we fly on our husband's benefits) because it only had 1 seat. And I told her that my child's safety was more important than making ANY flight, free or not. :D

ADS

lovemyfamily

She's wrong. There's no rating.

Here's the FAA Advisory Circular regarding child restrains. Any car seat certified by a government entity (like all the ones sold in store in the US) that bear a sticker saying its certified for use in aircraft, can be used on an aircraft, rear-facing or forward-facing, as long as it's used according to instructions.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC 120-87B.pdf

Perfect. Thank you! I thought I was right! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC