Car seat in center seat

AceRider

I'm thinking the answer may be obvious, but maybe not:

AA's "Information For Traveling With Children And Infants" notes:

An approved infant seat "...May not occupy the space between a customer and an isle."

Would a "customer" include me or my other child, or only someone unrelated to us? Short trip with 11 month old and 4 year old coming up. I would like to give the 4 year old the window, FF the 11 month old in the center, and me or Mom on the aisle. Or me/Mom in middle and 11 month old FF in aisle. 4 year old get's motion sick and a window seat helps.

I thought I read somewhere that if you have multiple kids, some leeway is available. Does anyone know for sure?

Last edited:
ADS

bubbaray

I don't know for sure the "rule" but when we fly on a 3-seat configuration, we used to put the child in the restraint on the window and older child in lapbelt centre, then parent aisle.

I would try to put the motion sick child closest to the parent and turn the air vent to max. The window will only help during take-off and landing, it won't help the MS (IME) in-flight.

I would also take gallon ziplock bags and One Step hand sanitizer wipes for any MS incidents. I would also ask your cabin crew for extra barf bags during boarding. Better safe than sorry.

AceRider

Interesting, thanks.

I'm also prone to MS and when I sit at the window, at least I can see the horizon, stars, clouds, etc. Something fixed in place always makes things fine.

We also give him a children's dramamine, which I only recently learned is just an antihistamine.

Anyway, he was sick once on a flight into Aspen (bumpy landing in the mountains) and somehow he remembers and I do NOT want to go through that again.... No one wants to hear the details, trust me!

So now are a all paranoid.

Dillipop

It sounds like there will be 2 adults and 2 children flying? If that's the case, our family likes to do 2 in one row and then 2 in the row behind. This works extremely well with a child under 2 in the mix because their rearfacing seat can be behind the older child's seat and there's no worry about annoying another customer with the whole non reclining issue.

bubbaray

Can you get Children's Gravol in the USA? That is what we use.

I use the One Step wipes ALL the time for hard surfaces (arm rests, tray table) because my kids have food allergies. But on a recent trip to Maui the family across from us had a puking kid. I gave them a ziploc and a few wipes. The strong alcohol of the wipes kinda helped with the puke smell. Oh and they were seated 2 and 2 and it wasn't a fun time for the puking kid and dad. The mom and the other kid were probably relieved tho.

cantabdad

If you have 2 kids who are both in carseats, then yes, some leeway is available. In a 3x3 setup most airlines will let you put one at the window and one in the middle, with parent on the aisle. I have done this in the past on at least a couple of flights -- but it is not guaranteed since it's ultimately at the airline's discretion.

If only one of your kids is in a carseat (i.e. the 4-year-old is just using the airplane seatbelt), then no, there's no leeway -- the carseat will have to go at the window. You could still manage to put the 4-year-old at a window if you split up the family: window-middle & window-middle in two different rows, or two sides of the same row. Regardless of all this, the 11-month-old ideally would be rear-facing.

I think Gravol and Dramamine are two brand names for the same medicine. In the past we have found ginger candy to be effective on choppy boat rides, and presumably a little extra candy would not be a tough sell with your child.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC