Help!! Can my almost 4 year old use a Bubble Bum for short taxi ride??

haleyc

Help please!! We are flying to Mexico for Christmas and I have 3 children. Once we get there we are only driving from the airport for 5 minutes to our resort and then back to airport after vacation. My kids are 5, 3 1/2, and 6 months. We are bringing my baby's convertible for my 3 year old to use on the plane and then in the car for the baby to use. I bought a bubble bum for my oldest for the car ride. My 3 year old is 29 pounds and 39 inches. I know he is too young for a booster on a normal basis but for a total of 10 minutes in a taxi would the bubble bum be safer than him wearing nothing?? My family keeps telling me not to worry about it so much but I can't go against everything I believe in just for convenience and compromise my children's safety. Your help and advice is appreciated!

ADS

jjordan

The minimum age for the BubbleBum is 4, and the minimum child weight is 40 pounds. So your 3.5 year old is not old enough or big enough to safely use it. Would it be better than nothing? Possibly. If I were you, though, I would purchase an inexpensive harnessed seat to use for the trip.

haleyc

It's just so expensive for literally 10 minutes in the car. Not sure what to do. :( But that might just be my best option.

Last edited:

1mommy

What about just buying a cheap seat? You're already hauling one around the airport, just stack the second one on top of it and bungee them together?

Dillipop

Totally not the popular opinion but I might consider it. How close to 4 will he be at Christmas? Can you start feeding him some butter at every meal, lol?

Though, I'd probably consider a harmony youth booster first- minimum weight is 30 lbs, so by Christmas you should be over the minimum. And if there is an adult sitting next to him to make sure he sits properly the entire 5 minute ride, i might consider it. Jut realize that this goes against every single thing we say on here- it is definitely NOT safest practice at all.

haleyc

Hahaha butter. His birthday is in late April. I was only considering a bubble bum just so we didn't have to haul around a seat all over the airport. I just remembered I have an Evenflo Amp booster rated at 30 pounds in my garage. Could I bring that and gate check it then use it for my 3 year old in the car?? Would that be a good choice?

Dillipop

Hahaha butter. His birthday is in late April. I was only considering a bubble bum just so we didn't have to haul around a seat all over the airport. I was considering getting a cosco scenera and gate checking it then use it for my 3 year old in the car. Would that be a good choice?

It would be a good choice but your 3 year old might be too big for it. Which wouldn't be a problem if you used the scenera for the baby and the other seat for the 3 year old. Does the baby have a seat on the plane?

haleyc

Sorry I edited because I realized I had the amp booster in my garage. Do you think that would work? No, my baby doesn't have a seat on the plane.

aept

If it's an amp with the high back portion the minimums are 3 and 30 pounds (which I would normally say "that is crazy!" but at least it is intended for use with smaller kids and should be ok for the very quick trips you have planned.) Without the high back the minimums are 4 and 40 pounds so I'm not sure if that really helps much compared to the bubblebum.

Edited because I accidentally sent it before I was done typing.

Edited again: the harmony youth ($13) had minimums of 30 lbs and 34" height. No age is given. I traveled by plane with not one, but two of them and they are pretty easy to use. They fit many kids well and make a great spare seat.

haleyc

Yes it's a high back! I think that might be my best option so I don't have to buy anything else. Of course I normally would never put him in a booster but it's seriously such a fast car ride. It's better than nothing at all. Thanks everyone for your help!

Mommy!

If you end up bringing the Evenflo Amp booster the best thing to do would be to seperate the seat and the back portion, and pack the back piece in a checked suitcase, padded with clothes (it won't take up much room). Have your 3 yr old carry on the seat piece as his "personal item". You'll have to stow it in the overhead compartment as it can't be used on the plane.

This way even if your checked suitcase were to get lost the backless seat portion of the Amp could still be used to travel safer than your child would be if he was travelling without any booster at all. And the back piece will be far better protected from damage than it would be if you gate checked it.

On the off chance that there is an empty seat on the plane your baby can always use the carseat and your three year old a regular seatbelt. Again, the best choice would be for both to have seats and carseats but that would be an improvement over the baby being in your arms.

DogznKatz

And you can use the Maestro on the plane.... really important for a not yet 4 year old. What about an Evenflo Chase? 40# harness limit - - les $ than the Maestro, but still taller slots?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC