I. Am. Having. Brain. Overload.

ChaChaCha

This is my first post here and I am SO happy to have found this site. What a great resource! I have spent hours researching & trying to come to a conclusion on what to do, but I'm about ready to throw in the towel and just buy the first crappy booster seat I see and be done with it...well, I won't do that, but it's a little tempting.

I have a 4 1/2 year old who is 43" tall & 41 lbs. which means she has officially outgrown her...Crappysport, I think it's been called? Last spring I did some looking because I knew this time was getting close, but I got really discouraged with what was available so I gave up. And now I'm paying for it and I'm panicking!

I really don't want to put her in a booster seat. But, I don't have the funds for a Regent or Radian right now. And I have severe reservations about the Apex/Biltmore/Seat-of-many-names. And she seems to be at that point where there are no other options. And I wish I could see some seats in person and try them out with my child, but the choices where I live are less than stellar.

So, anyway, thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Any suggestions or commiserating comments are welcome. ;)

ADS

CPS_obsessed_EMT

Senior Community Member
How about a Fisher Price Safe Voyage, or Evenflo Triumph Advance? Those are a little cheaper than the Radian/Britaxes at around $130, and though they don't harness as long (50-55lbs instead of 65) it buys your dc at least another yr (most likely) and if you will have any more children you can pass it down to them as they are convertible seats (meaning they can also go RFing) And most kids outgrow the 65lb seats by 55lbs anyway by height (Remember, they outgrow a seat FFing when their shoulders go above the height of the top harness position. btw- it amazes me that yours made it to 4 in a ComforSport- you are very lucky as most kids outgrow that one in height by 2-3!)

ChaChaCha

Oh, I know - after reading threads on here about the Comfortsport my heart sank when I learned that most kids grow out of it at 2-3 yrs. old. I know for sure that she fit the seat during the summer (she's solid, but lean & with a medium-short torso) but a couple of weeks ago my eyes zeroed in movie-style on her harness slots and they about popped out of my head when I saw her shoulders are above the slots. Hence, my perpetual panicked state.

I may just have to use the old credit card and spring for a Britax, which will surely thrill my dear, but unconvinced, husband. What is wrong with car seat manufacturers & the NHTSA that they can't get it together so we can have truly safe, affordable car seats????

scatterbunny

Can you tell how far over the top slots her shoulders are? Can you sit her against a wall and measure up to her shoulders, where harness straps would be? That will help give us an idea of how tall her torso is, and how she will fit various other seats.

Even though the Britax Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard have 65 pound weight limits, they are usually outgrown at 45-50 pounds because kids get too tall for the top slots. My daughter was 4 years, 9 months old and about 46 pounds when she outgrew the Marathon. She's 6 years, 3 months and 54 pounds and still barely fits an Apex/Biltmore by height, still has an inch of torso room (which means about a year, maybe more) in a Radian and 2.5-3 inches (2-3 years) in a Regent. She'd probably also still fit in a Recaro Como or Signo.

At 43 inches and 41 pounds and 4.5 years old, I don't know that I'd even consider a Britax Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard, or the Fisher Price Safe Voyage, made by Britax, based in the MA/DC/BV, not unless she's VERY short-torsoed.

An Apex would be a fine low-cost option as long as your vehicle has high enough seatbacks or headrests available.

I'd probably try for a Radian or Regent, though. I like those for older kids because they sit low on the vehicle seat, no big base (the Britax MA/DC/BV, Recaro Como and Signo and Evenflo Triumph Advance--forgot to mention that one--all sit up on bases). They tend to be easier for kids to climb in and out of than the seats on big bases, and they look more like big-kid booster seats.

I agree with you about needing more affordable, safe carseat options for taller, bigger kids. But there's way more options than a few years ago! My daughter outgrew the ComfortSport before age 2 by height (very long-torsoed and in the 97th percentile for height), outgrew most other convertibles by height by 2 years, 9 months and outgrew ALL 40 pound seats at age 3. Literally my only options were to put her in a booster, buy a Britax or buy a pretty crappy 50 pound seat that isn't available anymore. I chose the low-cost crappy option at first to save up for the Britax, kicked myself for it and bought the Britax Husky (same as Regent) about 2 months later. :rolleyes:

Now there's the Apex, Fisher Price Safe Voyage, Radian and Evenflo Triumph Advance: all options between $80-$180. Not perfect, but definitely better. :p Compass will also be releasing a higher weight limit seat in the next few months (won't help your current situation, but still, it'll be another option!).

ChaChaCha

My dd is in a major growth spurt; her torso measured 15" today and, I feel really terrible about this, but she is 2" above the top slot in her ComfortSport. Aaaaargh...I am so frustrated with myself for not paying closer attention sooner! Today I had her sit in every seat in town I thought was applicable to our situation which were a few boosters (just for lame kicks) and one, yes only one, 5 pt. harness in town with a larger height/weight threshhold - the Evenflo Triumph Advance, which she really liked a lot. She sat comfortably at the second slot from the top. But, will that give me much usage? One year? Two?

I'm also reconsidering the Apex. I saw one in person in another town a while back and it looked so wide & uncomfortable & flimsy. Is it really a safe car seat?

ThreeBeans

The Triumph Advance doesn't HAVE slots, so I don't think that's the seat you sat her in.

The Apex is a perfectly safe seat and will give you quite a bit more harnessing time but you must have headrests or tall seatbacks to use it, as the headrest on the Apex is a comfort feature only and not crashworthy :)

Simplysomething

but a couple of weeks ago my eyes zeroed in movie-style on her harness slots and they about popped out of my head when I saw her shoulders are above the slots. Hence, my perpetual panicked state.

I may just have to use the old credit card and spring for a Britax, which will surely thrill my dear, but unconvinced, husband.

I like your writing style, so I hope you stick around. (Really. Make more posts, but only if you continue like that. )

If worse comes to worse, your child DOES meet the minimum requirement to safely use a booster seat. (At least four years old and at least 40 lbs). Scary as it is, a booster seat she fits in...is better than a harness she's outgrown, kwim?

I know it's frustrating...and confusing! We all have our horror stories about what we did before we knew what we were doing was wrong (how's that for a confusing sentence?).

FWIW, my ds2 is ...2.5 and is in the second from the top slots in the FPSVD...(he's just above the third ones).

scatterbunny

Simply is right, on all counts (definitely stick around! ;) )!

A booster is safer at this point than a harness outgrown. If you can't scrape up enough for a harnessed seat at this point, a highback booster is acceptable.

Good news is, a 15 inch torso at 43 inches is short/average, IMO (Hayley's torso was 15 inches by 40 inches tall). She should fit the Apex, harnessed, for at least a couple of years, probably longer. Your vehicle must have higher seatbacks, or headrests, to use this seat.

She should have plenty of room in an Evenflo Triumph Advance, too (you'll know if it's the 50 pound Advance if it has red tabs at the top of the harness to adjust), but at her age I might focus more on the seats that sit lower on the vehicle seat, like a booster, instead of up on a base like the ComfortSport and Britax seats.

The Sunshine Kids Radian would be a great one, it offers more growing room than the ETA and Apex, and is narrower. It can have install issues in some cars, though.

What do you drive?

ChaChaCha

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and such kind words - I may stay here forever! My ride is a '94 GMC Envoy with high (at least I think they would be considered such), but fixed, second-row headrests. You mention the Radian; which one should I consider? Compared against a Regent, what are its advantages? I have read here that the leg support is short, but is it annoyingly short? Along with safety, I am also concerned about her comfort. Which also becomes my comfort. (A happily dozing child in the car sure beats a whining, demanding one!)

scatterbunny

As long as the vehicle's head support is at least up to the tips of the child's ears at all times, the Apex is a safe seat. The harness is tall enough that my 49" child still barely fits. She was 40 inches tall with a 15 inch torso at not quite 3 and is now 6 years, 3 months with a 17.25-17.5 inch torso. She was your daughter's height, but with a longer torso, at about 3 years, 9 months. So I do think the Apex will get you at least 2 years harnessed.

As for the Radian, I'd really only consider the Radian 80 if the child is very short-torsoed and/or heavier than average, because most kids outgrow the seat heightwise by 65 pounds. Both the 65 and 80 pound versions have the same seat shell and same top slot height. Sunshine Kids allows shoulders to go over top slots by an inch in this seat, unlike any other seat on the market. The seat depth IS on the short side considering the height growing potential, but it is still deeper than most other 65 pound options. Also, since cost is a priority, the Radian 80 is the same, or more than a Britax Regent. Unless you need to fit three-across or unless the Regent is incompatible for another reason, I'd choose the Regent over the Radian 80 any day. Tether anchors would be an issue with the Regent, however. Have you had tether anchors installed in your vehicle?

None of these options (Apex, Radian, Regent) will have as deep and supportive sides as the ComfortSport; the Apex, Radian and Regent also sit flat on the vehicle seat like boosters instead of on a base. If you think your daughter still prefers seats like the ComfortSport, maybe an Evenflo Triumph Advance or Recaro Como or Signo are better choices.

ChaChaCha

I really am having brain overload because I previously said I drove a '94 Envoy when it is actually an '04 Envoy. Thank you for all of your suggestions. I have worn down - errrrr I mean - convinced my dh with my constant, emergent, obsessive (and rightly so!) talk about getting something better for dd...pronto. We're on the cusp of resolving this, so I'll let you know how it goes!

kiramay

I totally feel your pain! We have (or rather, had, since we just had a car accident) two Apex seats, and I was happy with them. The crotch strap is short, but you can get a longer one by calling the company. We're also getting Regents to replace Truimphs. I actually love our Triumphs, except for the short shell and 40 lb limit. I have heard that the new Triumph Advance is taller....

Anyhow, this is how I figure it.... the Apex is $130 and has 18 inch slots. [A few people have said 19 in., but mine measures at 18 inches.] The Regent is $245 and the top slots are 20.5 inches. When I consider the years its going to take my kids to grow 2.5 torso inches, the extra $120 is totally worth it! [In addition, the Apex only harnesses to 65 lbs, while the Regent goes to 80.0

So, yes, the Apex is a good seat and I do recommend it if the Regent is so far out of budget.... but if you can swing it with a credit card, the Regent is worth the extra money.

ChaChaCha

(To the tune of a Conga-line)...

I just got a Re-GENT, I just got a Re-GENT!

We took a daytrip and found an amazing store with all of the seats I wanted to see & try-out in person: the Recaro Como, the Radian 80, and the Apex 65. And the Regent, of course. They had soooo many car seats. It was awesome. The rundown:

{The Apex wasn't as bad as I had thought and we definitely considered it.

{Dh & I loved the Recaro, but it is just a little too narrow, the twisty straps are annoying, and after snuggling in for 5 seconds, the babe wanted o-u-t. Maybe if she was a couple of years younger, it would have been a go for us.

{The Radian 80 also wasn't as bad as I thought, but for the money the Regent would give us more growing room.

Now, here is my big question. The seat has a big seam at the bottom that has a definite rough but shiny welded look and there were a ton of tiny, plastic chips that scattered all over when we took it out of the box. That doesn't seem right?!? It's alarming, really. Has anyone else encountered this?

scatterbunny

Congratulations! What cover did you get? :)

Someone else had the same concern over plastic chips but Britax assured her it was just fine. The shell is extremely strong, I wouldn't worry.

ChaChaCha

I can't believe it, but my dd chose the boring Sahara cover over the darling Madison cover. I suspect the Madison wasn't pink enough for her, but that still doesn't explain her choice, really. I may never know...

I decided to start a new thread over in the dedicated car seat forum concerning the seam at the bottom of the Regent that can be found here: http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=27542

I did find another thread about someone else having the seam at the bottom, and funny enough it's a Sahara-covered behemoth - I mean, Regent - as well. But, there was no definitive answer. But, mine looks just like hers. Here it is: http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=11926&highlight=regent+seam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC