Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Suggestions for combo seat for 4 yo?

So, it's looking like I will need to get my 4.5 yr old a new seat as his torso is too tall for the highest slots on his Radian (drat). Looking for suggestions for appropriate restraints that are relatively narrow (I have 3 in a second row, with the other two being a high back booster and a RF radian and they just fit as it is) and available in Canada. No idea where to start as I thought I was done with seats until we needed another booster. TIA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar
    I believe the radian can be used with the shoulders over the top slots. Check your manual to double check if it's the same in canada as the US.

The only seat that I know of that for sure has higher slots than the radian is the britax frontier. It's not narrow though. Do you have a third row you can use at all?

CCO 4/15

The radian is actually allowed to be used with the child's shoulders above the top slots (FF) as long as they meet the other parameters to fit in the seat. (This is NOT ok for most other FF harnessed seats, as you probably already know.) If you feel comfortable continuing to use the radian and he does not seems uncomfy you may continue to do so. I did with my oldest son until his shoulders were about an inch above the top slots. After that we rearranged seats a bit to give the radian to a younger brother and he was a little more mature and ready for a booster. The other parameters to fit in the seat include the child's weight, height (although this one people also "fudge" since some kids have all their height in their torso, others in their legs), and then the height of their head in relation to the top of the seat. The tops of the ears should not be above the top of the seat (for FF.) My son never hit any of those other parameters even when he was an inch over the top shoulder slots - not even close.

Cross-posted with dillipop who is more concise and a faster typist, I see!
    Ann, mom to 3 big brothers and a baby girl:
    DS1 - Aug 2006, 80 lb, 56", incognitos
    DS2 - May 2008, 77 lb, 51.5", Vivo or NBB
    DS3 - June 2011, 46 lb, 43", FF in FR85 or booster training
    DD - May 2015, 19 lb, 29", ) Snugride 30

5. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member jwilliams's Avatar
    The Sureride has taller slots than the Radian - that's available in Canada, right? I see it on the TRU.ca site. It's wider than the Radian, but smaller than the Frontier, and might work next to a RF Radian.

ETA: the Sureride is a convertible, but I'm suggesting it because my daughter isn't much below where your son is on the Radian, and she has tons of space in the Sureride. Also, it's inexpensive.
    5yo harnessed in a Britax Pioneer, one 3yo RF in a Fllo and another 3yo RF in a plum RXT, all in a 2014 Honda Accord.

7. Thank You from:

OP is in Canada where it is not allowed to use the Radian with shoulders over the top slot.

You really have few options. You can try the Nautilus, Frontier, Maestro, and SecureKid 300/400, but none of them are near as narrow as the Radian. Good luck

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

9. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    The Sureride has taller slots than the Radian - that's available in Canada, right? I see it on the TRU.ca site. It's wider than the Radian, but smaller than the Frontier, and might work next to a RF Radian.
    Forgot about that one! I would try that one as well.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

Re: Suggestions for combo seat for 4 yo?

Yes, in another thread someone pointed out that the above-the-shoulder doesn't apply in Canada. Although, if it's considered safe in the US, not sure why it would be less safe here.

Anyone know if the newer Radians (Diono vs Sunshine Kids) have higher slots? Have to get the tape measure out. DS1 is in an older one, but I have a newer one his baby brother is riding in, and I'd rather get the baby a new seat (something shorter than the radian for RF).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The newer Dionos are exactly the same, minus the extra SIP and new covers, unfortunately.
    Mary Ann - Maman franco
    Sorry for my broken English
    DD1: 10/2008 - Rides FF in a Plum RXT or PW's
    DD2: 02/2013 - Rides RF in a Flamingo Foonf
    DS: 07/2015 - Rides RF in a cowmoo Boulevard

13. Thank You from:

I'd try the sureride/titan65. I have one as a back up for my son (also over THS on radian) and he has quite a bit of space to grow. It also puzzles decently with other seats and is a simple install.
    Natalie, CRST-I, mum of Greg (15), Megan (10), Benjamin and Samuel (6).

15. Thank You from: