Tethering Booster to Non-approved Anchor

U

Unregistered

I understand that if something appears to be an anchor but isn't an approved as a car seat anchor it is NOT ok for tethering a FF harnessed seat. But if the tethering is just so an unoccupied booster doesn't go flying in an accident, can you use another anchor (like one for cargo)?

The issue is that by the time we go to booster mode we'll need the LATCH anchors to tether another FF seat (LATCH is not available in all positions), and being able to move the booster into a different position would be helpful because I'll have to fit through to buckle another RF seat. I know that we can buckle the booster, but with a booster and 2 car seats, it would be great to have one less thing to worry about at drop-off.

(Note that we're already planning to max out RF limits to avoid the tethering issue, but I know my 3-1/2-yr-old can't stay RF forever so just trying to plan ahead.)

Thanks in advance!

ADS

henrietta

Technically, you should not do so.

I would not be as concerned that it break or not hold the seat in a crash. I would be concerned that as an unapproved and untested anchor location, it could change how the seat functions in crash. You could lose a portion of the protection for your child, or not. We just do not know. It's also really important to know if your seat allows for top tethering when in booster mode.

Some vehicles can be retrofitted for top tether anchors. I would search and make a post regarding that information. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC