At what point do you turn?

jacqui276

I weighed DS yesterday in just a diaper and he was 41.3lbs. He is riding in RFing Radian RXTs right now. How close to the 45lbs do you guys push it before turning the seat around? He is only just over 2 1/2 so I was hoping that he would make it longer but has always been a huge child so I for sure didn't expect to make it to 4. Should I be getting him in all of his outside gear and weighing him fairly regularly? For now outside gear consists of a somewhat warm jacket and either his rain boots or running shoes, but winter is just around the corner.

ADS

sunnymw

I would just weigh maybe once a week. Korah comes in my bathroom all the time to stand on the scale because it's in front of a mirror and she likes to make faces at herself.

And don't beat yourself up over it. She was FF at 2 in Chuck's 2 door truck because the room just wasn't there and my sanity was worn thin.

Keeanh

At his age, I would go to 45lbs. The seat isn't going to fail if he accidentally goes to 46lbs. Those weight limits are for the real world, where scales aren't always perfectly calibrated and different clothing changes a kid's weight. There's a margin of error. Just have him step on a scale every week or two.

jacqui276

Thanks for the replies guys! I will weigh him weekly with standard outside clothes on and wait until he is actually greater than 45lbs. If someone could just tell him to stop growing for a year, that would be great.

MommaKellie

I'm with the others! You'll be surprised- He might be 45 next week, he might be 45 in 3 months from now! I wouldn't let 4 pounds rush me to turn a child FF. I also have a scale in the bathroom and the kids LOVE jumping on it and reading the numbers for fun!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
My scale only goes up to 44 lbs.

She rear-faced until she errored out the scale. At which point I took off her boots and weighed them separately. Without boots she was 43 lbs. The boots were 2 lbs exactly. I debated whether to just not let her wear her boots anymore or not, but we live in Oregon and in the middle of Spring is not the time to go without boots. And she was 3y7m old at the time. So I bit the bullet and turned her seat. If she'd been under age 3, I most likely would have gone with the "ban the boots" option instead.

It's been 6+ months and she is now 45 lbs without shoes on, but she's been holding pretty steady at that weight for a while now.

I'm also voting for weighing him every week or two and going from there.

Ninetales

I go right up to it. I keep a scale in the entryway and have been weighing every few days with all shoes and gear on now that he's hanging around 35 lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC