Sensitive death mentioned

ADS

1mommy

I'm not sure I would try to find out details, it's such a horrible crash and I don't think the mom would be in a good place to be receptive to hear about rf.

YinzerMama

That was one heck of a wreck.

The cars were so mangled I couldn't even tell what I was looking at, and the video doesn't let you pause to look closer, some stupid ad pops up when you pause. It really might be a case where it might not have mattered anyway.

That poor mother :(

newyorkDOC

That was one heck of a wreck. The cars were so mangled I couldn't even tell what I was looking at, and the video doesn't let you pause to look closer, some stupid ad pops up when you pause. It really might be a case where it might not have mattered anyway. That poor mother :(
you can pause it on the iPhone and no ads pop up. There are no seats in the red car and they don't show the silver one from an angle that you'd be able to look inside.

MUTigers

This is convoluted, but bear with me. Destiny is the granddaughter of my best friend's husband's "uncle" (aka long term, like 20+ year boy friend of best friend's husband's aunt). I didn't know the relationship until about a week after the accident when my friend was talking about needing to go to the funeral.

I don't know Destiny at all or her immediate family, but knowing what I know about best friend's husband's family, I would venture to say the child was, at best forward facing, and at worst not restrained. I know the whole family is devastated by what happened. I believe they were hit head on by a drunk driver suspected to be going 100+mph.

Unfortunately, this is not a situation I can ask my best friend about. She and I do not see eye to eye on car seats. We sort of have an unspoken agree to disagree arrangement. As a previous poster said, this is just not the time or place to ask.

1mommy

In the end it doesn't change anything, while you could argue that you want it to be a teaching opportunity to save lives in the future, it's not a good time, and if you said anything at all you could come across as cruel and accusing the parents of neglect/killing her baby at a time where emotions are high and very senstitve.

jeminijad

It really isn't meaningful. One data point.

Would we attach meaning if the baby was unrestrained, thrown free and thus survived? Of course not, we would (rightfully) dismiss that as not significant. Nothing is proven until hundreds if not thousands of situations are analyzed.

Curiousity I understand, though :eek:

seb3244

Where are you guys seeing the OP wanting to "educate" anyone? Maybe she is just curious, as most of us car seat nerds usually are.

Thank you I am not trying to educate anyone. I want to further prove to myself & possible hub or my kids grandparents that my decision to rearface is better and safer than forward facing. And I am just curious also.

Thank you all for your replies.
Everyone please pray for Destiny and give if you can to her fund me page :)

MUTigers

I think it's interesting that no news story I've seen or heard has talked about the type of restraint used. I think I remember hearing that mom and dad both had seat belts on and the other driver didn't. That could be wrong though.

I'll admit, when I first heard about the accident my first reaction was curiosity about RFing vs FFing. I think it's in most of our (members here) nature to be curious about that.

OP, sorry no one can answer your question. I understand wanting to know for your reasoning. It's just such an awful situation.

1mommy

Thank you I am not trying to educate anyone. I want to further prove to myself & possible hub or my kids grandparents that my decision to rearface is better and safer than forward facing. And I am just curious also.

Thank you all for your replies.
Everyone please pray for Destiny and give if you can to her fund me page :)

You're right, sorry for assuming... What I can find mentioned that both Mom and Dad wore seat belt but nothing else. It is such a sad situation.
:(

ERFmama

Such a tragedy. :( I hope she gets all the support she needs from now on, that is quite a shock to the system and your mental health. :'(

As for the child, it is always worrying to me when they never mention a car seat, but only said the were *all* wearing *seatbelts*...

But yes, obv not the time or place to try and educate friends and family, but I can't help but think that as the mother was not seriously injured (which is a miracle in itself looking at that wreck) maybe there would be a possibility of the child surviving had the little boy been rear facing, BUT saying that, we have no idea how he was restrained in the car at all so it all comes down to speculation, and who knows what if it is later said he was in a rf infant seat correctly installed? Then one would have "lectured" someone who did it all correct and still lost their child or family member, so it's best to just leave it, but use the crash as a reality check of how quick your whole life can change in a split second, and that it DOES happen.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC