Can Diono Radian and ranier fit side by side?

Loony

Has anyone had luck installing a radian and ranier side by side, both RF?

We are trying to do it in an Audi Avant (station wagon) S6 with radian in center, no angle adjuster, and ranier in outboard position with angle adjuster. The ranier is wider than radian at the top and in our first attempt at install the radian ends up a little crooked front to back because the ranier pushes it sideways at the top. Is this unsafe? Both seats seem secure at base but I would feel better if both seats were straight. I'm wondering if anyone knows any tricks/suggestions to get around this problem.

Additionally or alternatively, perhaps people have suggestions for another solution altogether. We already own the radian and have bought the ranier to test for fit. So we could return if there's a different seat that would work better. Here's our situation...
In addition to the center position being safer than outboard, we need to use that slot right now because one seat is for our 3 month old so we can't use the angle adjuster and without that we haven't been able to install with enough space in front for adults to ride without being up against dash.

Our older child just turned 2 and we want to keep both RF as long as possible. We've also been looking into the Swedish options - not sure if one of those might work better than the ranier, installed right next to the radian. I would like the ranier to work because it's significantly cheaper than the Swedish options. The ranier is the only seat I know of for purchase in the US that goes to 50 lbs RF, other than the foonf. I'm concerned about the height of the foonf being a hazard blocking visibility (it's also as expensive as some of the Swedish options and those seem superior so if I'm going to spend that much I will get one from Sweden). Ultimately we will likely get one Swedish seat when our older child outgrows whatever new seat we get now, but we will need an additional seat at that point anyway (bc of childcare arrangements) so I was hoping to hold off on the Swedish seat for now if there was a viable alternative to fit side by side our radian.

Sorry for all the (potentially extraneous!) details! I would love to hear any suggestions that come to mind for people in response to any of this. Thanks so much!

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hello! So sorry your question was missed! If you're going to have these seats side-by-side, you're going to need 2 Radians. It can be done, but only with a larger back seat. I have an Acura MDX and it was a tight squeeze getting them side-by-side. In opposite directions, it's no problem. You could try another narrow seat, like the Fllo or Foonf.

It sounds like you're very pro-RF and that's terrific :). Since visibility is a big problem and the Foonf is pretty high up, look at the Fllo. It's down lower and still has the 50 lbs RF weight limit. With the anti-rebound bar, it does take up a lot of front-to-back space, like the Diono seats, but it's not required, so that'll get you more space for up front.

Given our current choices now in the U.S., I think Swedish seats are overkill. We've got good options and I think you can find one that will work for you.

lgenne

One thing to point out: a Radian RXT or R120 might work for you and last just as long as the Rainier. My (admittedly long waisted) giant almost 5yo outgrew the Radian by height for RF ages ago and still hasn't quite hit 45 pounds.

cottonpenny

A Ranier with AA will fit quite nicely next to a Britax G3 or G4 seat... I have had my Ranier (outboard) next to a Roundabout 55 (middle) and they puzzled quite nicely. I've also read a MyRide can puzzle nicely with the Radians. Probably if you're looking at Raniers, Foonfs, Swedish seats, etc. your older couldn't RF in a Britax G4, but your 3 month old certainly could.

Unless your kids are really close together, you're unlikely to need more than one high weight limit RF seat (per car) at a time, so you could buy a combo seat for the older and transfer the Radian/Ranier/whatever you end up with to the younger.

Dillipop

What seat is the 3 month old in right now? If you can use that seat awhile longer, you may be able to go straight to a radian or rainier with angle adjuster outboard and a kid having 2 seats side by side. Getting a different brand will help get 2 seats side by side, as a pp pointed out. The britax marathon or roundabout 55 puzzle well with dionos when facing the same way. Same with the myride. You might even have luck with a foonf or FILO outboard for the older one and the radian in the center for the littler one. The foonf is narrow all the way up the seat whereas the dionos flare a bit.

ETA- as long as one seat has the higher limits, the other seat isn't as necessary to have the higher limits. By the time the younger one outgrows the lower limits, you can switch the kids and use the higher rfing limits for the younger one, as the older will have outgrown it by then most likely.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC