Nautilus - renovation?

tjham

Update in case someone just reads this. #6 has best reason NOT to do this.

"the harness would be attached at 4 different points on the bottom portion, which is only approved for use with a harness for 6 years- the crotch buckle, the 2 hip straps, and the adjuster strap all run through the bottom portion."

So I have a Nautilus due to expire in Dec. I figured only the bottom was good for 3 more years - the rest was history. But then I read another thread talking about ordering a new back!

Great idea! The cover is still good so no need for that expense. I looked up the details. Plastic back is $10, plastic head rest is $10, new harness is $12, new chest clip (they call it a harness tie ) $5, shipping for all that is $8.95. $46 unless I missed something?

Pretty good cost for being able to use it for 3 more years! I have a cousin who could use it!

Last edited:
ADS

tiggercat

I'd want Graco's permission before going that route. The crash forces on a backless vs the bottom portion of a harnessed seat will be different. The bottom still has to be strong enough to bear the full force of the harness system, and do we know it can do that after the back's expiry date? No, we don't.

I don't know if that made sense. The bottom is only good now as a backles booster, not as part of a 5pt like you would be using it as with a replacement back.

Baylor

If you buy a whole new back and harness it is all new parts. The bottom is good for 3 more years. There is no reason not to not use it that way if you want or need to.

I can not imagine any reason why it would not be fine to do so.. But you could ask Graco.

wavegal

I agree with tiggercat, I would be hesitant to use It besides being a backless because the crash forces on a nbb is different than that of a harnessed bottom. I would definitely contact graco first

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Baylor

Id call and ask. It has been discussed here before and with no reservations.

IT would be a whole new back assembly and headrest and harness.

Dillipop

I'd also have reservations about it since the harness would be attached at 4 different points on the bottom portion, which is only approved for use with a harness for 6 years- the crotch buckle, the 2 hip straps, and the adjuster strap all run through the bottom portion.

Evolily

I wouldn't. The base is good for belt positioning mode, car seats aren't meant to be things you 'renovate' or replace parts on as they become old. If people were to start doing this it would become very confusing and when things become confusing they tend to become unsafe.

It's also not a very good deal if you consider the current lifespan on the Nautilus and the fact that you can get a $25 rebate right now. If you want another nautilus, I would buy another nautilus, then you'll have a combination seat plus a backless booster, and even an extra cover.

tjham

I'd also have reservations about it since the harness would be attached at 4 different points on the bottom portion, which is only approved for use with a harness for 6 years- the crotch buckle, the 2 hip straps, and the adjuster strap all run through the bottom portion.

Ok, Ok! All good points... I won't do it!

Ali

Ok, Ok! All good points... I won't do it!

It was a good idea! When you first posted, I thought it sounded great. I have the GN back in my garage. DD is using it backless in DH's car, but I thought maybe someone could use it for a few more years. Oh well!

tjham

So I have a Nautilus due to expire in Dec. I figured only the bottom was good for 3 more years - the rest was history. But then I read another thread talking about ordering a new back!

Great idea! The cover is still good so no need for that expense. I looked up the details. Plastic back is $10, plastic head rest is $10, new harness is $12, new chest clip (they call it a harness tie ) $5, shipping for all that is $8.95. $46 unless I missed something?

Another thought though -

Why couldn't it still be used as a high back booster with new back and head rest and existing cover? The bottom would not be used for the harness and the bottom is already approved for 3 more years as a booster. It would be using the car's seat belt.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Seems easier to buy a new booster than to create a Frankenseat, though...? Safety wise I'm sure it's not a big deal, but I doubt Graco would approve it if you called to ask. Good thing all the new seats are good for 10 years top to bottom! I wonder what/if they changed much to make them that way?

Baylor

So, what is holding the crotch strap? The hip straps? The adjuster strap/alok?

I would do it without reservation.. especially to gain a few more years.

I am curious now that the seat is a 10 yr expiration what parts were upgraded and what weren't.

The hip strap is really secure in the bottom of the seat. I would not give it a second thought with a new harness. AND as long as Graco okay'd it. If they said no, Then I would not do it..

Baylor

I contacted Graco. Gave them my dom and model of my 2008 nautilus. They okayed the purchase of a new back piece, harness and head piece to use the remaining 3 years on the bottom portion of the seat.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I contacted Graco. Gave them my dom and model of my 2008 nautilus. They okayed the purchase of a new back piece, harness and head piece to use the remaining 3 years on the bottom portion of the seat.

Well, that's pretty cool. Thanks for calling!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC