Advice on fit? Pictures included.

KarinSDCA

Somehow I doubt DD grew all that much in the last month or so from when we tested the whole booster idea with our Graco CarGo seats. I just tested her in both the Ultra and the Platinum in the center and the outboard positions in the 2004 Camry. I don't think we knew what we were doing back then. LOL Also, the seat was attached to the vehicle via LATCH for harness mode, so we just had her try the seatbelt. (That would have the car seat much lower into the vehicle seat.) For today's adventure, I put the CarGos into the seat like a normal booster since we had already uninstalled them. I got the best fit in the Platinum with the recline bar back (not reclined). Are any of these okay?

Thanks!
Karin

Pic #1: Center position Front View
Pic #2: Center position Side View
Pic #3: Outboard position Front View

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yup, looks good. I used to wonder if the shoulderbelt had to be on the shoulder till I dug around some older materials and found that chest contact is good, it's what's most important. Anyway, it's not rubbing on her neck, not falling off her shoulder, and the lapbelt is low. But MOST importantly, my dd had the same dress at that age! :D

monzogary

Senior Community Member
My concern from seeing the pics is that the shoulder belt looks to be held off of her shoulder a bit. From what I know, the belt should be touching her body for the best protection.

cpsaddict

I actually think it looks ok. The belt seems to be in the correct position. I am a bit concerned about it not touching the top of her shoulder, but then again that is basically how the seatbelt fits me and I am 5'8".

So, bottom line, I would probably be comfortable using it, if it stays that way for the whole ride. In my experience, those belt adjusters will not let the belt retract back if she leans forward. I would maybe lock the seatbelt.

lovemyfamily

I don't think all seatbelts on adults come across the top of the shoulder. I know in my DH's truck, they are higher, so it never really even rests on the top of my shoulder, but goes across that front portion of my shoulder than across my chest. In my Yukon XL, the seatbelt comes out of the seat, almost right at shoulder height, so it touches the top of the shoulder a bit more. You might be hard pressed to actually find one that comes from the back low enough to go over the top of the shoulder. I think she looks secure, if everything will stay that way for the ride.

KarinSDCA

Well, now comes the training portion of our new booster adventures. LOL She is one fidgety 6 year old. She says she wants to stay in a 5-point because she doesn't like all the rules of boosters! :p And I have only just begun teaching her the last few days. I do plan to lock the seatbelt now that I know what that means. ;)

Oh...I have another question:
In the outboard position, I actually got a better fit using the built-in "comfort" clip that is a black gizmo that is part of the vehicle. Is that gizmo "allowed" or "safe"???

I would rather have her in the center position anyway, but I would like to know about that gizmo regardless. Is it safe for adults to use?

Thank you everyone! :)

Hopefully, the Biltmore (Apex 65) as a harnessed seat and/or the Platinum CarGo as a booster will last us either a month until USA Baby gets in their two next shipments or until Sunshine Kids comes out with the Monterey. Grandpa can wait for a seat awhile longer. ;) The CarGo (as a booster) is outgrown when the center of her head is no longer within the shell of the seat, correct? (Tips of ear go above shell.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC