Rigid latch Rear Facing

Hazelandlucy

This looks so cool

http://www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/car-seats/max-fix-ii

Does rigid latch take away the ability to install with a seat belt? I know that seat is isofix only, but that is probably due to the Isize regulation. Why don't we have rigid latch RF over here? The UK seems to really tout latch has safer with less side to side movement.

I also like the "on the go" recline feature.

I guess it would be totally wrong to bring this seat over when I go to the UK in December for my DD2?! I love that it has passed the Isize side impact testing and the Plus Test.

Last edited:
ADS

_juune

Does rigid latch take away the ability to install with a seat belt? I know that seat is isofix only, but that is probably due to the Isize regulation.
My understanding is that [in Europe] it's up to the manufacturer to decide if the seat will be isofix-only, seatbelt-only, or isofix-or-seatbelt installable; there are seats that can be installed both ways. Btw, the MaxFix is not an "ISize" [R129] seat, the manual says it's certified by R44/04.

Hazelandlucy

My understanding is that [in Europe] it's up to the manufacturer to decide if the seat will be isofix-only, seatbelt-only, or isofix-or-seatbelt installable; there are seats that can be installed both ways. Btw, the MaxFix is not an "ISize" [R129] seat, the manual says it's certified by R44/04.

I was wondering about whether the rigid latch vs the flexible latch connectors made a difference. Probably not because I know the Foonf has rigid latch for forward facing and can still use a seatbelt.

Just seems so easy to push that seat in!

I thought it was Isize, oops. Oh well, it's passed the Plus Test, which apparently measures neck loads and is very strict.

Aurezalia

IIRC there is some evidence that rigid LATCH does make a difference in SIP. I'll have to find the numbers again, though. The US has had some rigid LATCH seats. Babytrend offered one years ago (although not anymore), and the Nuna Pipa and the Clek Foonf (FF only) have rigid LATCH currently. But honestly, for convertible seats the LATCH limits are so low that it makes more sense to be working on innovative seatbelt installs, like Britax is doing.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep. We do have several rigid LATCH options in boosters, which is where the side impact benefit tends to be most pronounced as I recall.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC