First day of CPST class

ThreeBeans

The highlights

1.Overall impression: not bad, not bad at all. ERF and HWH both given a plug. Only mention of 'special needs seats' was in reference to ACTUAL special needs seats like a car bed, or a seat that accomodates a full body cast. Multiple britax seats all over the place include a Wizard, a roundabout, a companion, and an "expressway isofix" :confused:

2. It was all seatbelts, all the time today. I had a fairly good grasp of some of it from here for which I was thankful because they didn't do that good a job of explaining it and I could see some people's heads were spinning.

3. I was the only non-service person. We had firefighters, paramedics, police officers, social workers, physical therapists, and a couple of higher ups from the hospital. I got the impression the vast majority of them were very interested in learning, though. It's a nice crowd.

4. Didn't care for how the opening pictures of the slideshow showed the body of a 2 year old girl the size of my DD lying twisted and dead on the ground in her little bathing suit after being ejected from the car :( I understand they were trying to make a point, but damn.

5. They fed us! Breakfast, Lunch, and snack with excellent fudgy brownies.

6. I played with the Combi infant seat. Me no like. :thumbsdown:

7. I FINALLY get what a belt shortening clip is/does. LOL.

That's all for now...

ADS

CPS_obsessed_EMT

Senior Community Member

were they good about giving you time to pump? I was very disappointed that my class didn't...Although my dd was 15 months at the time I took the class so she was fine with grandma and a sippy of water, the only ones who suffered were my poor boobies :eek:

Yea, the DOA pic is kind of a shocker, but its reality :(

ThreeBeans

Yup! The lead instructor has an 11 month old, so we both needed time to pump ;)

They gave us plenty of breaks, and I was fine.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Sounds good :). The Expressway Isofix is the reason that Darren turned his ds ff at 2 and 30...it's SO solid and nice to install and use...:love:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Just the Clek and the Jane Indy Plus... no harnessed seats in THIS country (Europe has a few...).

IsasMom

I can't wait for mine... end of the month!

Hugs for having to see that picture. I went to a CHOP sponsered seminar at a peds confernce where they told us about a baby who was killed in an acciden- RF in front of the airbag. It left me practically needing therapy.

Anyone remember the story of that girl? Wasn't that the girl in the bathing suit who was found by the police officer who had let the parents go just earlier? B/c there was no law that she needed to be buckled?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Why did Britax discontinue the Expressway?
$$$$$

No one wanted a seat for $200 that only FF'd from 20-40 (why buy that, when you can get a 5-100 AO with a cupholder for only $150?!?!?!) :p (that's also why the good, old Maxi Cosi Priori went off the market... and how about we bet on the Graco SS2 being chopped in another year or so?)

ThreeBeans

Well, I happen to think the Graco SS2 is a stupid seat :eek:

I get the dollars thing, though, that makes sense, although it puzzles me that people buy Roundabouts when the Marathon is just a teensy bit more on sale.

Seriously, 20-40 lb seats irritate me. If it's a forward facing only seat, it should go higher in weight.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yeah the SS2 is the bane of my existence. I hate that thing. But the pink and brown cover is sooo cute!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
LOL. I installed a SS2 during my class. While it installed fairly easily with the seatbelt using the built-in lockoff, it was a bit of a beast to fit through the vehicle door (a Mazda Protege) and it took up a lot of room in the back seat.

ThreeBeans

I played with one at BRU a few weeks ago, installed it on their vehicle seat. (Although the fake LATCH anchors got in the way and made it difficult). But that lockoff is really nice. Seriously, if they bumped the weight limit to 50-60 lbs and changed the harness height to 17/18 inches it would be a neat seat. But 20-40=dumb. And I agree, NO seat should be certified for forward facing at 20 lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC