Will 3 FF Diono Radians fit in 3rd row of the Enclaveor Traverse?

2rebecca

I'm in the market for a new used 7 passenger vehicle with AWD or 4wd. I really like the Enclave, but wondering if it will really seat 7 if 3 are in car seats. Anyone know if 3 Dionos will fit in the 3rd row? Or, if only 2 fit in the 3rd row is there room for an adult too? I'm trying to avoid a minivan while trying to seat 4 adults and 3 little ones. The little ones are 4, 3 & 20 months. (I know my 20 month old needs to be RF. I'm asking about FF for future trips when she is older. We tend to keep our cars until they stop running. ;)

If you don't know about the enclave, what about the Traverse or Acadia? I think they are the same. Thanks in advance.

ADS

lgenne

I'm not sure if they'll fit side to side, but I know none of those vehicles have tether anchors for all of those FF car seats. The only 3 row vehicles with 3 tether anchors in the 3rd row are Hondas: the Pilot and the Odyssey. Given that you're looking for used, I know the Odyssey has 3 in the 3rd row going back to at least 2011; I believe the Pilot goes back at least that far.

And the required question: why avoid the minivan? Aside from personal preference for the exterior, minivans tend to be a better choice across the board for hauling lots of people: price, safety, mileage, storage space, seating comfort, car seat compatibility, reliability...

There are exceptions for each of those things, depending on exactly which minivan and which SUV you're looking at. (Especially the price, since you're looking for used--minivans tend to hold their value better, but they hold it for a reason.)

2rebecca

I'm not sure if they'll fit side to side, but I know none of those vehicles have tether anchors for all of those FF car seats. The only 3 row vehicles with 3 tether anchors in the 3rd row are Hondas: the Pilot and the Odyssey. Given that you're looking for used, I know the Odyssey has 3 in the 3rd row going back to at least 2011; I believe the Pilot goes back at least that far.

And the required question: why avoid the minivan? Aside from personal preference for the exterior, minivans tend to be a better choice across the board for hauling lots of people: price, safety, mileage, storage space, seating comfort, car seat compatibility, reliability...

There are exceptions for each of those things, depending on exactly which minivan and which SUV you're looking at. (Especially the price, since you're looking for used--minivans tend to hold their value better, but they hold it for a reason.)

Thanks for the info. Do the Diono Radians need to be tethered if they are installed with the seat belts? I have them tethered now, but didn't think it was required with seat belt install. (I suppose I need to get out the owners manual & check that before I buy a car. ;) )

As to the minivan...I've looked at them and REALLY wanted one for the last 2 years, but now that my boys are getting older and I don't carry as much baby gear, I'm not sure it is the best fit. Plus, it appears there is only minivan that has AWD is the Toyota Sienna. I need either 4WD or AWD, so I have more options if I go with a smaller SUV. I like the pilot, so I'll look at that too.

lgenne

You're in the US, right? If so, it's strongly encouraged, not required. Canada requires tethering. Seats in the US are required to pass a less stringent test when untethered.

If you're looking to put a bunch of car seats in a Sienna, make sure you're looking at a pre-2011 model. The 2011+ has a terrible 3rd row: super narrow and only one tether anchor. Earlier models of the Sienna are blown away by the 2011+ Odyssey in terms of flexibility and convenience in that 3rd row (both had major redesigns in 2011) but the Odyssey has never come with AWD.

2rebecca

You're in the US, right? If so, it's strongly encouraged, not required. Canada requires tethering. Seats in the US are required to pass a less stringent test when untethered.

Yes, I'm in the US.

You've given me a lot to think about. It sounds like I need to rethink my entire strategy...better to rethink it before I buy a car! ;) And, thanks for the tip about the tethers on the Siennas only being in pre-2011 models. That will save me time if I go that route. If the Odyssey had an AWD option this would be a no brainer. For now I'll look at the Pilot. I just wish it had captains chairs in the 2nd row.

Jackie010307

I have an 11 traverse. I'm not sure if the three across will work, but keep in mind if the need to carry 7 is long term that the third row middle doesn't have a headrest and the outboard headrests are not adjustable. Add that to the lack of tether anchors and honestly, in your situation I would look at something else. We love ours but we carry a maximum of 3 adults and three kids ages 13, 11, and 7. The 13 year old and adults cannot sit in the third row.

2rebecca

I have an 11 traverse. I'm not sure if the three across will work, but keep in mind if the need to carry 7 is long term that the third row middle doesn't have a headrest and the outboard headrests are not adjustable. Add that to the lack of tether anchors and honestly, in your situation I would look at something else. We love ours but we carry a maximum of 3 adults and three kids ages 13, 11, and 7. The 13 year old and adults cannot sit in the third row.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm getting ready to relocate and will be living with my parents for the 1st year, so during that time I'll need room for 3 adults and 3 kids in Diono Radians. Then once my husband moves back, the majority of time will just need room for 2 adults & 3 diono Radians, but would like to be able to fit 4 adults & 3 Radians occasionally (once every week or two) so the grandparents could ride to dinner with us. Based on your experience with the Traverse, do you think that would still be to much of a hassle?

Jackie010307

If the three radians fit it really wouldn't be any more difficult than any other three row vehicle, in my opinion. The ls and 1lt models come with the bench in the middle row standard, the 7 passenger is an option on those trims. The 8 passenger might make it easier for your configuration if a radian will fit in the center of the center row. Just keep in mind that with either setup you will only get a total of 3 tether anchors, 2 in the middle row and one in the third. Definitely make sure it's going to work long term. For instance, once the kids outgrow the radians how long will it last with only 2 tall headrests in the back seats? The large age difference between our oldest and youngest are a large part of the reason it works for us. Our 11 year old has a few years before he outgrows the headrests in the third row, and by the time our now 7 year old outgrows them our now 13 year old will not be interested in going everywhere with mom and dad.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC