6.5yo w/Autism nearly outgrown Britax Frontier85

S

SqueekyMomma

Help! I have a 6.5yo w/Autism who really, really isn't ready for a booster seat/booster mode on his Frontier85. He is tallish for his age at 48.5 inches tall and weighs 57lbs.

His hip-to-shoulder measurement is 19", and while the specs on the Frontier say it should be 20, reality isn't showing that to be true (at least not in our vehicle).

Critical info:

-We drive a Hyundai Elantra (yes, it's tiny but it fits us all pretty well)

-My son does not undo buckles, but tantrums/meltdowns are not uncommon during loading/while driving in the car. He really pushes his harness to the limit sometimes.

-He is short enough yet that he will need a booster even with something like an E-Z-On type vest due to the lap belt portion. I'm not seeing that the RideRyte booster is even available anymore. To be honest, I'm a little intimidated by some of these systems.

-He has low tone (common in kids with ASD), so we need a set up that will be supportive as he tends to slouch and flop when seated.

I need to know what type of arrangement will be the best for our situation. Is the next logical step something like the Thomashilfen Recaro Monza Reha (http://www.adaptivemall.com/remoreadcars.html)? or is there a vest/harness system that would meet our needs?

ADS

1mommy

I'm sorry but I don't know anything about special needs seats, but I would try the Evenflo SureRide for now while you look into gettting a special seat for him. It harnesses to 65 pounds and has taller straps then the Frontier and due to the angle at which it is installed should gain you more time. Please see this post for details. P.S. its under $100!

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2610662&postcount=12

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm sorry but I don't know anything about special needs seats, but I would try the Evenflo SureRide for now while you look into gettting a special seat for him. It harnesses to 65 pounds and has taller straps then the Frontier and due to the angle at which it is installed should gain you more time. Please see this post for details. P.S. its under $100!

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2610662&postcount=12

The SureRide has a 19” harness. He is already at the limits.

I think a special needs seat is something to investigate- the Roosevelt for a true harness, or a booster with positioning harness.

If insurance won't cooperate, for the time while you are waiting, or for other cars, an EZ-On 86-y harness can be used with a conventional booster. You'll need to put in the heavy duty tether anchor it comes with, but it does have the advantage of being long lasting and cheap.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC