Best travel booster

carseatmama007

DD and DH are going on a trip to Minnesota to visit grandparents this winter (without me). I'm trying to plan what car seat DD will be using. They will be flying there. DD is 40 lbs, 45", and 6yo at time of trip. Not sure what cars this will be installed in.

I'm looking into the Harmony folding booster. This is the booster DD has at her other grandma's house (I'd have to buy another though). Is this small enough to be a carry-on on the plane? The reason I ask is because I really want to unbox the booster myself, set it up, and practice with DH a bit. I don't want to ship it straight to MIL's and just hope she's done her best when she shows up with it at the airport. She's old school and there's just a million reasons why I won't have her in charge of that. If not a carry-on, would it be safe as checked luggage?

The other thing I was thinking was maybe that harness vest thingy.. can't think of the name at the moment. Would that be easy for DH to use? If I recall, it's a little more $ than I want to spend but if it'd be easiest/safest then I'd be ok

My other option would be bringing her Radian. I don't know if that's going to fly with DH, ha. Super heavy for him to lug through the airport, and I don't know that he'd be able to get a great install. Misuse might be a big issue with grandma as well.

Any other things I'm not thinking of?

ADS

Dillipop

Walmart shows the folded dimensions of the seat as 17.5x16x11. If that is smaller than carry on requirements for your airline, it should fit in the overhead bin.

The other option I think you are thinking if is the ride safer travel vest. We have one and find it awesome for travel. We've used it for when we've flown cross country. It takes up so little room in the carryon and I find it pretty easy to use. It is at least twice the cost of the folding booster though, so that's a consideration.

Has she ridden in boosters before? How does she do? How much will she be in the car when she's at grandma's? Is there a shoulder belt and headrest in the center seating position in grandma's car? Depending on your answers, a cheap backless booster may be an option as well. When my kids were 6-7, we let them use a backless in grandma's car since they weren't in the car more than 10 minutes at a time and very rarely, plus it was easier with our 3 across in her car. They had also shown they were responsible enough in a highback booster in out car.

carseatmama007

Walmart shows the folded dimensions of the seat as 17.5x16x11. If that is smaller than carry on requirements for your airline, it should fit in the overhead bin.

The other option I think you are thinking if is the ride safer travel vest. We have one and find it awesome for travel. We've used it for when we've flown cross country. It takes up so little room in the carryon and I find it pretty easy to use. It is at least twice the cost of the folding booster though, so that's a consideration.

Has she ridden in boosters before? How does she do? How much will she be in the car when she's at grandma's? Is there a shoulder belt and headrest in the center seating position in grandma's car? Depending on your answers, a cheap backless booster may be an option as well. When my kids were 6-7, we let them use a backless in grandma's car since they weren't in the car more than 10 minutes at a time and very rarely, plus it was easier with our 3 across in her car. They had also shown they were responsible enough in a highback booster in out car.

Ah yes that's the vest! Yikes, looks like the cheapest I could find was around $150 :( almost 3x the price of the Harmony travel booster, bummer. I will have to talk to DH about that and see what he thinks. Is the vest easy to use? It looks like it's got a lot of hooks and straps!

She has been riding in an HBB in her other grandma's cars since she turned 5 (about 10 months ago). She's a great booster rider. I'll have to ask MIL what the backseat of her car is like. I'm guessing shoulder/lap in the center yes but maybe not headrest. I'd also like to see how much driving they're going to be doing. They live in a rural area and I'm afraid will have quite the drive into the twin cities to do stuff... and it'll be winter driving :thumbsdown: so I'm not sure how I'd feel about a backless. I'd have to think on that one!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC