JennasMommy or anyone with a Focus and Radian?

Mommy090804

Sorry to call you out! We are likely going to purchase a Radian to replace our "notched" Regal Ride. Our vehicles include a 2002 Focus wagon and a 2007 Civic. It will likely be installed RFing in the centre of the Focus.

I noticed on the "Successful Radian Install" thread that you noted RFing install in all positions. I am assuming that you tried LATCH and seatbelt in the centre position. I would like to put a Radian next to DD's UltraCargo. Unfortunately, the UltraCargo has to be installed outboard since the wagon only has tethers outboard, and not in the centre.

Anyway, can you confirm for me if you tried the Radian with a seatbelt install in the centre? I guess we could also install it in the centre with LATCH and use to the seatbelt to install the UltraCargo.

I likely won't be able to try it in the Focus before we purchase it, so I really appreciate your help!

PS - One more offtopic question: Is there any reason why we would buy the Premiere rather than the regular Radian? (We don't need the Princess cover since it will be used for DD and DS.)

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The Premier is slightly more padded than the regular Radian and comes with the pillow inserts. The body insert doubles as a toddler pillow and is great for keeping their heads from flopping... especially once they are forward facing. The Premier also comes with a shoulder carry strap which is fantastic if you plan on travelling with the seat and need to carry it anywhere. The Premier's SuperCool fabric is also *much* nicer than the regular Radian's fabric. It has a dryweave, airwick material that helps to wick away sweat and keep the seat from getting too hot in the summer. If you can afford the extra money of the Premier, I would go with that.

The Radian can be installed with the seatbelt in the center when rearfacing. Once the seat is forward facing it is *much* easier to do a LATCH install with the Radian.

The wagon should have a tether in the center position... 3 top tethers are legally required on vehicles manufactured after Sept. 1, 2000... so I'm positive you have one there. Check your vehicle owner's manual for child restraints under the Safety section, it will tell you where they are.

Personally, I would install the Radian using LATCH and install the UltraCargo using the vehicle seatbelt. I think that would be the easiest way to install those seats in that vehicle.

I should also mention that jennasmommy is my best friend and I've done all these installs with her in her vehicle, so all info is relevant. ;)

Mommy090804

Thank you so much, Jen, for taking the time to post such a thorough answer to all my questions!

That's not what I wanted to hear about the Premier;) As you know, I am considering purchasing the Radian as a secondary seat. However, there is a very good chance that it will become a primary seat in three years when DD's MA expires. I am still betting that her MA will expire before she outgrows it. As well, we will definitely consider using it as one of our primary seats for airline travel. DD is still RFing in the car, and as long as she is, we will take the MAs with us traveling. She has been hovering around 31.5lbs fully clothed for a couple months now.

The wagon should have a tether in the center position... 3 top tethers are legally required on vehicles manufactured after Sept. 1, 2000... so I'm positive you have one there. Check your vehicle owner's manual for child restraints under the Safety section, it will tell you where they are.

How embarrassing! I had checked the vehicle manual in the past, and the middle tether anchor is not located as depicted in the manual. The manual shows all three tethers in a row on the back of the rear seat. However, in the wagon the centre anchor is located much lower where the seat meets the cargo floor.

That is wonderful news! I will likely move DD's UltraCargo to the centre seating position when we pick up the Radian (Premier??) in a couple weeks. It's also getting time to move her up to the top harness slots, so it will be a great time to do all that. I am really hoping that the Radian will install beside the UltraCargo, although they both have low profiles. Surprisingly, I wasn't able to install the Regal Ride RFing in the centre next to the UltraCargo. They just didn't match up the right way.

It will be nice to get rid of the Regal Ride. I know it is recommended as a good secondary seat, but it has always been a PITB to install (pool noodles and that annoying front "lip"). We will probably hang on to it to use as a spare seat if need be. I don't think I would feel good about selling it even though there isn't anything "technically" wrong with it.

Interesting, so all vehicles must have three anchors. That explains why some vans don't have anchors in all seating positions.

Sorry for rambling, and I really want to thank you again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC