infant seat without a base

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Unless the base is required (and I think only one seat requires it), it is safe to use the infant seat baseless. However, it needs to be reinstalled every single time, and that can lead to installation errors if you're rushed or distracted.

jjordan

If the infant seat is properly installed, it is perfectly safe. Now, some bases have safety features (eg anti-rebound bar), so if that is the case, then not using the base means you won't be taking advantage of those (obviously). But really, the main danger in not using a base is that if you're un- and re-installing a car seat on a daily (more or less) basis, there is a better chance that you won't always have a great installation. Think about it, if you install a car seat maybe once every few months, you take your time and make sure it is perfect (ideally). Whereas if you install it every day, it won't take long before there's a day where you're running late, or it's raining, or for whatever reason you're in a rush (or someone interrupts you in the middle or you hear a noise and look around or... you get the idea!). And then you leave off some step of the installation without really noticing, and your seat isn't properly installed. And just like that, it's less safe than it should be.

lourdes

I have use it before and I can leave it installed and get the baby in and out without uninstalling the seat, it is a safety first onboard air. I am having problems trying to magically do a 3 across in a small car and I had read here that it helps if you use the seat without the base

If you're installing it properly and leaving it installed: equally as safe as using the base, as far as we know.

Uninstalling all the time: may not be as safe because it opens up exponentially more room for error.

lourdes

Yes, it will stay installed, and with pool noodles, the issue is that my DD needs to be able to buckle herself

lourdes

DD has a graco booster with safe surroundings, 1 seat FF is a Scenera and DD #2 has a Radian and the infant car seat, I had the Radian RF in center but DD can't buckle herself, so I was thinking that the infant seat might work better and that DD might be able to buckle herself

DD has a graco booster with safe surroundings, 1 seat FF is a Scenera and DD #2 has a Radian and the infant car seat, I had the Radian RF in center but DD can't buckle herself, so I was thinking that the infant seat might work better and that DD might be able to buckle herself

It's worth a try! let us know how it works!

lourdes

I can use the pool noodles with the infant seat right? I am using my sister's car so I won't do the tryout installation until Monday

lourdes

Ok, so.... that 3 across that I was hoping to get didn't work! The only way I might get a 3 across there is if I put DD back in the Radian and that is a battle I don't want to fight...

Dillipop

Can someone help your dd buckle? If the only problem with the radian is her not being able to be independent, I'd personally keep buckling her. In one of our cars, I had to help ds1 buckle until he was 8 or 9 because of our right 3 across.

lourdes

The only problem with the Radian is that she doesn't want to be in it, She has been using the booster now since she turn 6 in April and she wants to stay in it, if I make a 3 across I need to move the booster a little so I can buckle her in, and then push it back

Dillipop

The only problem with the Radian is that she doesn't want to be in it, She has been using the booster now since she turn 6 in April and she wants to stay in it, if I make a 3 across I need to move the booster a little so I can buckle her in, and then push it back

But you said you could do 3 across with the booster, radian, and scenera, right? I'd just do that and help her move the booster to buckle. It stinks bit with boosters and tight 3 across, I think a lot of us on here have done it.

lourdes

I can do a 3 across with the Scenera, Radian or infant, and booster, I will try it tomorrow with the actual installation and take some pictures to see

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC