But I HATE the Regent!

Splash

I installed our Regent in my car today. I hate it. I hate that seat.

The BV just is not working. It's not. It never will. It's sits too far forward and too high up. The Regent fits nicely. He can climb into it super easy.

I installed it without the recline bar. It won't fit with it. And I used LBP and will never be able to use SBP.

Charlie seems WAY more comfortable/happy in it than the BV. The fit is... meh. It's not rock solid... I wish it were better... but it's okay. It as good as or better than the BV. I will never be able to put another person in my back seat.

It took almost FORTY FIVE MINUTES to install it!

I called Britax today. They'll exchange it for a Marathon. I can...

Keep the Regent, never with the recline bar, always with the LBP. Keep in mind I hate everything about this seat.

Get a Marathon for my car and hope it's a *little* bit better because at least he won't have to climb around the wings.

Try to successfully install a Radian in there... get the MA and sell or swap for a Radian. *This* is my preferred course of action...

WWYD? Keep in mind that I will always be using the Regent against the new guidelines. I don't like that. Even if I trust it to be completely safe... I still don't like it.

ADS

arly1983

Ahhhhhh, the old Carseat Catch-22....

Screwed if I do, screwed if I don't....

See, I have a similar problem with the radian. It is the only seat that DS fits into with a decent amount of growing room and adequate leg support, that installs ok in the cars it need to go into (one with no top tether) but he can not tollerate that stupid chest clip. Sooooo do I use a different chest clip which is a questionable practice (liability wise) or do I use the skjp chest clip and forget using the seat for longer than fives mins at a time.

No good answer? Nope.

Sorry, your ideas sound like good ones.

After trying every flipping seat out there, at least I know there is no good solution.

Morganthe

What's your DOM on your Regent? Is it an older version or are you breaking the rules on a brand spanking new one? I can't tell you what to do or feel... it's parental discretion. :eek:;)

I remember you couldn't get the Radian to work either in your car, right? Or am I wrong? :confused:

What about the new Triumph Advanced? How do you feel about testing out that seat?

Other than that suggestion, I dunno :shrug-shoulders:

Splash

It's about a year old... not sure its exact DOM, but over a year I would suppose.

The Radian was a no go in the center. Keep in mind though that the only time I tried it, I was in a parking garage with an 18 month old, a 2.5 year old, and a 6 month pregnant woman. I didn't spend hours on it. And since it takes me about 15-20 minutes to do the BV in this position, and almost FORTY FIVE MINUTES to do the Regent, arguably the easiest seat ever to install, I'm not completely convinced that the Radian can never happen... it's still worth a shot.

I really don't care how long the seat lasts him. I CARE, but not extremely. If I don't have to buy anything new, I can re-evaluate in a year or so. If I buy something new, I want it to work for a long time, though.

The TA won't work... it's bigger than a MA for as far forward as it sits, and probably as high. NICE seat, though. And likely a horrible install in the center.

Holly

What about getting the Apex 65 or waiting a few months until the compass true fit is released? It looks really cool because it doesnt have a base and it has tall harness slots and will be fairly cheap (at least based on what we've heard about it so far.)

Other than that, I'd get the radian. I really like mine and I'm planning on getting another one next year too.

sanctareparata

Sooooo do I use a different chest clip which is a questionable practice (liability wise) or do I use the skjp chest clip and forget using the seat for longer than fives mins at a time.

Aren't you already using the chest clip? Isn't it in your picture with your ds?

To the OP: Is a Safeguard too spendy? Are those as big/bigger than the Regents? ANyone know?

MySillyKids

What about getting the Apex 65 or waiting a few months until the compass true fit is released? It looks really cool because it doesnt have a base and it has tall harness slots and will be fairly cheap (at least based on what we've heard about it so far.)

Other than that, I'd get the radian. I really like mine and I'm planning on getting another one next year too.

the apex's are not super easy to climb into, because of the arm rests.

I can install our regent rock solid in like 5 minutes. I guess i have played with it enough, to know how to get it in there solid.

but, i have :love: for the regent! I think i need to find another 'non enhanced' regent for DS2.... hmm..

skipspin

The Radian was a no go in the center. Keep in mind though that the only time I tried it, I was in a parking garage with an 18 month old, a 2.5 year old, and a 6 month pregnant woman. I didn't spend hours on it. And since it takes me about 15-20 minutes to do the BV in this position, and almost FORTY FIVE MINUTES to do the Regent, arguably the easiest seat ever to install, I'm not completely convinced that the Radian can never happen... it's still worth a shot.

Are you saying I wasn't much help? :p If you want to try again I'll give it a try. I'm not pregnant anymore, although that extra weight sure helped installing seats when it wasn't in the way. If he's under 35# I'd still give the RYS a try. It's nice and lower than a convertible, but has a long-belt-path-ish install.

Splash

Are you saying I wasn't much help? :p If you want to try again I'll give it a try. I'm not pregnant anymore, although that extra weight sure helped installing seats when it wasn't in the way. If he's under 35# I'd still give the RYS a try. It's nice and lower than a convertible, but has a long-belt-path-ish install.

You were great help... neither kid got hit by a car!

Actually, to the best of my knowledge, three Radians are on their way to my house right now for my friend Lori. I'm hoping and praying I can install them well in her car, because I'd rather them go to her. If I can't... I might give her the Regent (if I can make that work, her van is now dead and she's looking for something else...) or get another Marathon for her if we need to do three across (radian/marathon/radian would probably work best...). I'm going to work with one of those in my car before I give them to her and see if I can make it work. If I can, I'll get one for us. If not... I dunno.

I would love a RYS. I think it would be the perfect seat. Try telling AJ to justify my spending $250 on a seat that will only last another year, though! Though if I got a BV for the Regent and sold it.... hmmm....

MsFacetious

Well, if your Regent is a year old then it is pre the new instructions. We were told that we could use the Regent with the instruction manual it came with. So, really you are good to use the Regent that way if you wish.

What about the Safeguard? If you sold the Regent and got it... then sold the Boulevard too it would pay for it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
My neighbor has a new Subaru and I got our Radian in in about a minute outboard. I know outboard is by far less ideal, but it was nice and easy. The biggest concern there was his car was so new he was watching me install a seat and wincing at the idea of something touching his leather. It's the only time I've put a towel under the flat bottomed Radian.

Wendy

Morganthe

Completely off topic... but everytime I see the title on this thread, the name of the movie "But I'm a Cheerleader" pops into my head :confused::eek::whistle: Oh and yes, I saw it a long time ago. :shrug-shoulders:

Please tell me you didn't do this on purpose??? :eek:

bethng

I installed our Regent in my car today. I hate it. I hate that seat.

It took almost FORTY FIVE MINUTES to install it!

Keep the Regent, never with the recline bar, always with the LBP. Keep in mind I hate everything about this seat.

I don't like that. Even if I trust it to be completely safe... I still don't like it.

Oh dont tell me you hate the regent! I am trying to decide what to get dd next after her dc! I really wanted a regent but all the issues make me a little iffy.

Oh and I have been wanting to tell you that Charlie is the cutest little guy I have seen in a long time! :love:

wondering1

It took me forever to get the Regent installed the first time and it wasn't in very well...but now I can get it in "too tight"...

Splash

I can install the Regent easy peasy in everything else. It's this warped seatbelt that screws everything up.
It's a 2006 Subaru Forester. Yes, I hate it. But, I can't get a new one right now, not for a long time.
Outboard the Radian installs like it's built in. I just don't want him outboard if it can be avoided.
I've never seen a Safeguard, but I'm betting it's too big as well. And the Apex won't install in the middle. I've got tons of seats that I can use outboard, it's the middle seatbelt that is screwing everything up.

I think if I can't make a Radian work, I'm just gonna leave the Regent as is. It's not ideal, but it's okay. Although the seatbelt is twisted several times in odd locations (completely flat through the belt path, though) and I can't for the life of me figure out why or how to undo it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC