Preschool field trip- HELP!

todzwife

I volunteered to take up to 3 kids because I want MY daughter in her own seat (that I know is installed correctly). Problem is, 90% of the kids who's parents aren't driving them don't ride in ANYTHING or have NASTY expired seats or backless boosters. None are over 5 years old.

Is there anything I can do to get 3 seats in the back of my Sienna? I have backless boosters but I'm REALLY nervous with 3-4 year olds in backless (even if their parents do less) because they do NOT sit still.

2012 Sienna. I'm thinking about grabbing a sure ride as our "extra" anyway...I have a coccoro but none of the kids will fit in that one.

I have 1 graco turbo booster and 2 parkways but they do NOT play nice in the back row. I also have a bubble bum and an incognito. My baby will be transported with us as well so she will be in her pria. I COULD take her out of the pria, put her in the coccoro but I don't think that will solve the issue.

ADS

hedgefun

What seats do you have available to you?

Will your DD be included in the total of 3 kids, or are you transporting 3 preschoolers in addition to your DD?

aept

I used to do a lot of preschool field trips with my oldest two kids. Fortunately most of the kids they went to school with had what appears to be appropriate car seats although some had loose straps, twisted, etc. A few 4 year olds were in backless boosters. Our preschool had a policy that the parents would install their child's car seat into the driving parent's car.
However as I got to know people I would sometimes offer that Johnny could ride in my "extra" seat that was already installed. You know, to save them the effort. (And to save me the extra effort of uninstalling and reinstalling my older child's britax frontier to make room for their seat.)
If you think the other parents will be happy to let their kids ride in "whatever" in your car I would put your baby in the Cco in the third row, install you preschool dd's seat in the third row so she is with the baby, install the baby's Pria FF in the second row and set at a harness height that you think will work for a preschooler, and then a HBB in the second row passenger side so you can keep an eye on the child in that seat and remind them to sit straight and not lean over, etc. Put whomever seems less wiggly and more likely to listen in the hbb.
Good luck!

bnsnyde

I just volunteered to drive 5 kids on the K field trip. That includes my child and 4 other kids. They have to use my seats. I mean, they don't come out! They are IN THERE FOR THE LONG HAUL. I have 6 seats installed and 5 are usable for ages 5-6. They are all large harnessed seats and 1 high-back booster. The third row install was so insane I had to hang upside down to do this. These seats do. not. come.out. !!

I am able to take baby's seat out and put in a harnessed seat.

Dillipop

I drove for a preschool trip last week. A little different, since I always drive my daughter, niece, and their friend to school so I automatically have those 3. Then I have room for 1-2 more. Our school require the parents to bring their seats and install them in the drivers car.

I ended up with a 5 year old in a highback booster. Not my ideal but legal. I spoke to him a couple times about not turning around to talk to the others but overall he did ok. There was another kid with a highback that was much younger/smaller. So glad that child was not assigned to my car. Not sure if I could have done it.

If the school and other parents allow it, I would have loved to provide another seat. I have 2 more available to use that are appropriate for the 3-5 crowd. But liability rules at the school require the parent to install an to use the child's seat.

Mom2Connor

I just did this recently for my sons preK, 4 and early 5 yr olds. At ours each kid was required to come with a seat, marked (they used tape). The drivers installed in their own cars and we only had a few minutes to install and load kids. I was disappointed to see so many hbb's but pleased at how many harnesses seats there were. My car actually had my ds is a frontier 90, a kid harnesses in a radian , and one harnessed in one I can't remember the name of. A decent convertible though. The last arrived with what I can only hope to be her old backup seat or a younger sibling because it was a scenera on the middle harness slot and doubt my 17 mo old would have fit in the harness length.

We did not have the option to use our own seats.

bnsnyde

All the kids are 5 (maybe one is 6)?

They need to bring a carseat to school. But I can't imagine the logistics of that!
When I volunteered I mentioned how I had my seats installed, etc. I have not heard otherwise, but I will double-check.

I imagine most of the kids will bring a backless booster. If I saw a high-back I'd be excited. If I saw a harness, really excited! But then, the logistics of installs...

todzwife

I told the teacher I can only fit 2 in the back. It's just too hard to get 3 across that stupid back row. I'll bring 2 high back boosters and put my daughter in 1 if I end up with a younger child that needs a 5 point. My daughter is 4 1/2 and rides in a HBB in her dad's car to school and it good about sitting still.

That's really all I could think of to do aside from buying something which I can't do right now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC