Question RF installation of Evenflo Symphony DLX

pfarfigknittin

*Backstory: My van was in a minor accident last week, so I needed to replace my baby's car seat. The insurance company would only reimburse me if I bought a "like" seat. Since the "baby" was still in an infant bucket at 14 months old, I really just wanted to get the convertible seat now. My sister had bought this Evenflo Symphony DLX, used it for a week, and then decided to buy something else. So, she gave me this seat for the baby, and I gave the new infant bucket to my SIL who is expecting.*

Question: I just can't seem to get a good install at the right angle with this Evenflo Stmphony DLX in a rear facing position. Yes, the seat angle adjuster is all the way reclined. My local car seat inspector doesn't have room to see me until the end of October, and this is the only car seat I've got at the moment. Please help me figure out what to do here!

Specifications:
Vehicle - 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan
Car Seat - Evenflo Symphony DLX
Installed in outboard center row captain's chair (only available location due to other car seats), using the lower LATCH anchors.
Child - 14 months, 23 pounds, 33" tall

The side view. There is a pool noodle in there, but the car seat actually places no weight on it, and it can be slid right out. I would need a significant amount of "risers" to fill the gap.
15225772039_db25fe3d73.jpg

15225778329_11484b9957.jpg

15412533715_1c0de8bf77.jpg

There is probably a 4-5" gap here! The car seat is currently relying on the position of the vehicle seat's back to keep the correct angle.
15389488606_b5da7149f4.jpg

ADS

featherhead

It appears you are parked on a driveway. Is the driveway slanted at all? That would throw off your level. Try cutting the pool noodle a bit wider than the base, and make sure it is under the front edge of the base. The pool noodle will likely not be in the seat bight with this seat because of the way the base is.

pfarfigknittin

DOH! The driveway is on an angle. However, when I had a better seat install (the level said the seat was angled too far forward, however), baby's head kept falling chin to chest while sleeping. I'll check again in an hour when I can make it to a flat parking lot.

featherhead

Maybe try putting the bum cushion thing in. It could be that the headrest is pushing his head forward, and putting the body pillow thing in will help.

pfarfigknittin

Okay. I'm on a level surface, and I didn't have to change the install. I slid the pool noodle back under the base so that the base is actually resting on it. Is this location of the noodle okay?

I'm pretty sure his head was falling forward because the car seat angle was too far forward. The infant insert pushes his head further forward than without.

pcxoPJ

pfarfigknittin

Oops! I tried to post it mobile.

15226812368_e4f794e21f.jpg

So, I called Evenflo's help line, and they said they don't recommend the use of noodles anymore? I'll have to find towels to roll up instead, I guess.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Hi! Welcome to CSO.

Definitely pull that noodle out - you only want to use it all the way towards the seat bight. You can either use a noodle pyramid (three noodles taped together) or roll a towel to get a good recline.

That gap is completely normal with the Symphony. Generally when I help a family install one rear-facing, we end up bracing it on the seatback (that is to say - the "foot" area of the car seat into the seatback of the seat it is sitting on -- not the seat in front of it!) Having the seat "floating" is totally acceptable... someone once said that pool noodles are like training wheels and it has absolutely revolutionized my thinking about the issue. Typically when I teach a RF install of a seat that doesn't have a base/foot, it ends up floating like this and as long as it's firmly wedged into the seatback, it's fine.

If you need a greater angle, you can just lift the edge of the seat a bit higher on the seatback and try pushing down where the baby's bum will go (rather than their feet) to maintain that angle. Evenflo has a level line printed on the side of the seat, you can just eyeball that instead of using the bubble level.

I hope that helps!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC