Take seat or not?

kitkat0872

We are flying to CA for Thanksgiving. We went last year at Christmas, and had a SecureKid there for my oldest. Box was accidentally tossed, so it didn't make the trip home with us and is still sitting at my friend's house, so we'll be able to use it again this year and hopefully bring it home to have as a backup seat.

All that said, is it okay for our 5 year old to fly out there without a carseat, and then use the SecureKid for the trip home?? He's 5 1/2, but very small for his age-- 37" tall and 31-32lbs. Is he safe on the plane like that? If its better that we fly with his Maestro, will our 8 year old be able to use the SecureKid on the plane to get it home? I'd planned on just taking his Turbobooster for in the car while there. Or, do we take the Maestro and gate check the SecureKid on the return trip? I don't have a bag or anything for it and really don't have extra money to buy one.

What's the safest option for both of our kids?

Thanks for the help!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I would be fine with a 5-year-old not using a car seat on the plane. I know some people will probably say he should have one until 40 lbs, and that the seatbelt fit might not be ideal on him, and there's some truth to that. But the seatbelt will still restrain him in the case of the most likely issue you'd encounter (turbulence). I think you'd be fine without it.

AllieK

I would look into a CARES harness for the plane. If you fly often it would be worth it to purchase one but if not you can find someone that rents them.

My 3yr old is 41lbs, 42" and I am considering one for him on our flight from CA to GA in a few months.

cantabdad

The FAA guideline for using the lap belt is 40 lbs., but the seatbelt fit does vary from airline to airline and child to child. My 35-lb. child fit just fine the last time I checked (though I used her carseat anyway).

In general, there's not a ton of data on lap belt and carseat performance on aircraft for children. One FAA study found that the lap belt provided less-than-ideal but acceptable protection on the test dummy representing a 3 year old, whose stats are roughly the same as your child's (38", 33 lbs.)
www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA285624

Given the relative safety of air travel and the circumstances of your trip -- i.e. that he will have the carseat on the return half of the trip, and is old enough to sit properly and stay buckled -- I agree with the PP that I would probably just use the lap belt for the outbound flight.

If you get skittish about that or just want to be sure of taking the absolute safest approach, then you could bring the Maestro on the way out and gate-check it on the way home (or use both seats onboard, if by some chance your 8-year-old is still under the limits for harness mode on the Secure Kid).

kitkat0872

Do you know what the harness height is on the SecureKid? I can't seem to find that and would like to measure my oldest to see if he'll fit.

And is it only a high back booster? Is it generally a good fit? Wondering if we take the Maestro, could we skip taking the booster and just use the SecureKid, either harnessed or in booster mode, depending on which fits.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The SecureKid is pretty similar to the Maestro, actually, except that the booster function is more adjustable and the harness weight limit is 65 lbs.

If your child fits in the harness on a Maestro, he'll fit in the harness of a SecureKid.

Whether he fits the harness of the SecureKid or not, probably using it for the older child while you're there instead of hauling the booster is not a bad idea.

kitkatxyz

Either way, we have to take at least one seat. But, I don't want to get there and discover he doesn't fit the securekid. Fitting harness mode would have to happen to get the seat on the plane and home. My understanding was the secrekid is taller than the maestro, but maybe not? I called evenflo for the replacement buckle, guess I'll call again about harness height. I can't just start putting him in random seats here, as the trip is a surprise and he's much too inquisitive to let me get away with that. :)

kitkat0872

I measure him at 17 1/2" so close, but should still fit the 18" listed. If not, the booster mode is higher, so we could use that. IF he doesn't fit the harness, but is just a little taller than the straps, would it be okay to use that way, just on the plane ride home? We really need to get that seat back with us, and I don't want to have to check it. And I'm leaning toward taking the Maestro for my youngest, as I'm not sure I'm comfortable with him just in the airplane seat at 32lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC