Infant seat

Aprilmom

I need suggestions for an an infant seat that has low bottom slots. Its for my new itty bitty foster baby who is coming tomorrow. I have no selection here so I need to order online. I was thinking of the combi centre dx, but that is only available w/travel system @ Sears now. I have heard the Safeseat 1 is not good for tiny babies soo, I need need some help.

Thanks, Danielle

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The SS1 is one of my favourites in Canada. It does fit small babies pretty well, I've seen a barely 6lb baby in one with no issues at all. It is currently on sale at Sears for $159.

You've probably read that the SS1 is not as good at fitting small babies as say a keyfit, but we don't have the Keyfit here. Out of our Canadian seats, it really does a pretty good job over the other brands available and they don't stay super tiny for that long.

There really is not much selection here in Canada for preemies or even infant seats in general.

I think the SS1 is still one of your best bets here. How small is the baby?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Just how tiny is the foster baby?

At the last check I worked there were 2 newborns in the SS1 - different families, not twins. ;) One fit better than the other - harness could be snugged up properly, chest clip was almost right on the buckle, but it was ok. The other there wasn't quite enough room between babes shoulders and crotch for the chest clip & the buckle, but a wash cloth between the crotch and the buckle would've fixed the problem and it was still an ok fit.

So unless babe is a really short preemie - chances are good that he/she will fit in a SS1.

Other choices, and ones that I'm personally less fond of, would be an evenflo infant carrier, or a safety 1st designer 22 or the 5pt Cosco Arriva. The evenflo seats can be found with a front adjuster, so it would be my top pick. Their seats tend to be very wide though, and the chest clip is also quite wide and will likely dwarf a tiny baby. Although now that I think of it, the peg perego SIP may have low harness height (it's on a continual adjuster, so it's not actual slots,) but that is a pricey seat. And another member recently had a baby and is having a similar fit issue with the regular peg perego as we see with newborns in the SS1.

Babies just grow so fast at this age though, that's it's never a problem for long... and the good thing about a SS1 - especially with having foster babies, is that it is going to give the biggest flexibility in fit and weight range of any carrier available in Canada.

Honestly, the SS1 will likely be just fine unless baby is super duper short. I would definitely choose it over any of the other ones. I've only ever seen the combi available at sears, so I don't know if it's available by itself or not.. I definitely wouldn't purchase a whole travel system just for the carrier itself. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC