Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    DisneylandMom

Cosco Scenera - FF or RF?

We will be traveling with our son in a few months. He will be about 17 months at the time. We play to bring a Cosco Scenera seat on the airplane with us.

Even though he will be under 2 years old, do you think it's still okay for it to be forward facing on the plane?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Cosco Scenera - FF or RF?

When I traveled with my 15 Month old, I FF on the plane, but then RF when we got to the car.

Carseat Crazy

FAA's guideline is RF up to 20 lbs. Air travel is so safe to begin with that FF vs RF isn't going to make very much difference, statistically, at that age. So if FF is easier for you installation-wise (or you're on a foreign airline that doesn't permit RF) then I wouldn't hesitate. I prefer RF at that age because it can be more comfortable for sleeping and toys tend to fall back into the carseat instead of on the floor.

For me it would depend on the length of the flight. Korah was 2.5 when we flew 9-10 hours to Germany and I installed it rear-facing. The big part of the buckle was near the crotch strap.

Sunny, a new patrol car, an old raggedy Civic, and:
    J | 10.06 | RSTV2(L)
    M | 07.08 | RSTV2(S)
    K | 07.11 | FN90CT

Can you use the tray table with the Scenera (FF obviously)?

We bought one to fly with last year and it worked great, but my son was 10 and 13 months at the time so we didn't think to test with the tray table. We are flying again this December and I know this time he will want to use the tray for meals, coloring, etc. I read somewhere the sides of the seat might make it too high to use the tray table? Can someone confirm?

thanks!

You can sort of use the tray table, it's on a bit of an angle.

Our dd just used her lap. She was fairly uncomfortable though as the buckle was in the middle of her back, so we ended up taking her out of the seat on the flight home, which was only an hour long
    Last edited by finn; 11-18-2014 at 02:14 PM.
    Chrissy Mum to : Ds Isaac(6) & dd Annabelle(2)

DisneylandMom

What do you mean the buckle was in her back??

As far as a tray, anyone know if using the Star Kids Snack and Play Travel Tray may work on the plane?

I haven't used our Scenera forward facing at all. (Actually, we've only used it rear facing twice.)

Is there a good website or something where I can see how it would be installed on an airplane?

J | 10.06 | RSTV2(L)
    M | 07.08 | RSTV2(S)
    K | 07.11 | FN90CT

Do you know what type of plane that was? Seems like it has more space than others but maybe it's just the angle of the photo or something.

Senior Community Member krasota's Avatar

The scenera has an open belt path, meaning the belt and the cover have no hard shell between them. A plane belt has a buckle that typical ends up in the middle of one's lap--or smack dab in the middle of the scenera's belt path. The nice thing about this is that it's easy to access when uninstalling on the plane. The downside is the buckle is rather uncomfortable for the FF kids.

I made the personal choice to fold a prefold into a pad against the buckle. I didn't do it at first and my son actually bruised along his spine. He's pale, but hey, that wasn't cool.
    Ronan (04/07) five steps!
    Aenea (03/12) FF RXT

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandMom View Post
    Do you know what type of plane that was? Seems like it has more space than others but maybe it's just the angle of the photo or something.

Boeing 767-300 from Atlanta to Germany (Stuttgart).

Seat was at about 30-35 degree angle and the plane buckle was between her knees.
    J | 10.06 | RSTV2(L)
    M | 07.08 | RSTV2(S)
    K | 07.11 | FN90CT

Quote Originally Posted by krasota View Post
    The scenera has an open belt path, meaning the belt and the cover have no hard shell between them. A plane belt has a buckle that typical ends up in the middle of one's lap--or smack dab in the middle of the scenera's belt path. The nice thing about this is that it's easy to access when uninstalling on the plane. The downside is the buckle is rather uncomfortable for the FF kids. I made the personal choice to fold a prefold into a pad against the buckle. I didn't do it at first and my son actually bruised along his spine. He's pale, but hey, that wasn't cool.
    Yeah that

I tried a folded up jersey but dd could sill feel it, so I ended up taking her out of the seat and she sat on my lap for most of the flight home. I've heard you can put a knot in the male end of the belt and that can help.
    Chrissy Mum to : Ds Isaac(6) & dd Annabelle(2)