Cosco Scenera - FF or RF?

D

DisneylandMom

We will be traveling with our son in a few months. He will be about 17 months at the time. We play to bring a Cosco Scenera seat on the airplane with us.

Even though he will be under 2 years old, do you think it's still okay for it to be forward facing on the plane?

ADS

cantabdad

FAA's guideline is RF up to 20 lbs. Air travel is so safe to begin with that FF vs RF isn't going to make very much difference, statistically, at that age. So if FF is easier for you installation-wise (or you're on a foreign airline that doesn't permit RF) then I wouldn't hesitate. I prefer RF at that age because it can be more comfortable for sleeping and toys tend to fall back into the carseat instead of on the floor.

sunnymw

For me it would depend on the length of the flight. Korah was 2.5 when we flew 9-10 hours to Germany and I installed it rear-facing. The big part of the buckle was near the crotch strap.

996868_564689423590173_1468490662_n.jpg

Kaffy

Can you use the tray table with the Scenera (FF obviously)?

We bought one to fly with last year and it worked great, but my son was 10 and 13 months at the time so we didn't think to test with the tray table. We are flying again this December and I know this time he will want to use the tray for meals, coloring, etc. I read somewhere the sides of the seat might make it too high to use the tray table? Can someone confirm?

thanks!

finn

You can sort of use the tray table, it's on a bit of an angle.

Our dd just used her lap. She was fairly uncomfortable though as the buckle was in the middle of her back, so we ended up taking her out of the seat on the flight home, which was only an hour long

Last edited:
D

DisneylandMom

What do you mean the buckle was in her back??

As far as a tray, anyone know if using the Star Kids Snack and Play Travel Tray may work on the plane?

DisneylandMom

I haven't used our Scenera forward facing at all. (Actually, we've only used it rear facing twice.)

Is there a good website or something where I can see how it would be installed on an airplane?

krasota

The scenera has an open belt path, meaning the belt and the cover have no hard shell between them. A plane belt has a buckle that typical ends up in the middle of one's lap--or smack dab in the middle of the scenera's belt path. The nice thing about this is that it's easy to access when uninstalling on the plane. The downside is the buckle is rather uncomfortable for the FF kids.

I made the personal choice to fold a prefold into a pad against the buckle. I didn't do it at first and my son actually bruised along his spine. He's pale, but hey, that wasn't cool.

sunnymw

Do you know what type of plane that was? Seems like it has more space than others but maybe it's just the angle of the photo or something.

Boeing 767-300 from Atlanta to Germany (Stuttgart).

Seat was at about 30-35 degree angle and the plane buckle was between her knees.

finn

The scenera has an open belt path, meaning the belt and the cover have no hard shell between them. A plane belt has a buckle that typical ends up in the middle of one's lap--or smack dab in the middle of the scenera's belt path. The nice thing about this is that it's easy to access when uninstalling on the plane. The downside is the buckle is rather uncomfortable for the FF kids. I made the personal choice to fold a prefold into a pad against the buckle. I didn't do it at first and my son actually bruised along his spine. He's pale, but hey, that wasn't cool.

Yeah that

I tried a folded up jersey but dd could sill feel it, so I ended up taking her out of the seat and she sat on my lap for most of the flight home. I've heard you can put a knot in the male end of the belt and that can help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC