New Additions

classicseats

Here are 2 new additions to the collection. A Bobby Mac Deluxe II from 1980 and a Babyhood Wonda-chair from 1987.

Attachments

• DSC03954.jpg
    DSC03954.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC03955.jpg
    DSC03955.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC03956.jpg
    DSC03956.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC03957.jpg
    DSC03957.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC03963.jpg
    DSC03963.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC03966.jpg
    DSC03966.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 74
ADS

thepote

They are great! I'm curious... What are the top slot measurements on those, for sake of comparison to today's seats?

As always, thanks for posting!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Whenever a grandparent at BRU mentions the 'one carseat' they had for their kid, I just always imagine it's one of those. I say something about brown vinyl and if their kid is that old, they laugh. :)

thekatie

I just went through your Pinterest, sending pictures to my mom. She thinks I had a Bobby Mac, but not with the shield. It was a handmedown from the babysitter who had several children (all born in the 1970s).

Which makes me wonder, did they have recommendations not to use secondhand seats back then? Like now, where you're told with an unknown history you shouldn't use it. Also, were there expiration dates on the older seats?

classicseats

I just went through your Pinterest, sending pictures to my mom. She thinks I had a Bobby Mac, but not with the shield. It was a handmedown from the babysitter who had several children (all born in the 1970s).

Which makes me wonder, did they have recommendations not to use secondhand seats back then? Like now, where you're told with an unknown history you shouldn't use it. Also, were there expiration dates on the older seats?

I don't remember hearing about expiration dates or history of seats back then. I'm sure there are members here who know a little bit more about that? The bobby mac had to be used with the shield FF. There was one bobby mac that didn't have a shield, the bobby mac super, but that wasn't released until the early '80's. Many seats had metal frame so plastics degrading wasn't an issue.

thekatie

I don't remember hearing about expiration dates or history of seats back then. I'm sure there are members here who know a little bit more about that? The bobby mac had to be used with the shield FF. There was one bobby mac that didn't have a shield, the bobby mac super, but that wasn't released until the early '80's. Many seats had metal frame so plastics degrading wasn't an issue.
Hmm. I'll have to find old pictures - I remember looking at them a while ago and meaning to come here to ask you, actually, and never got around to it. Mom doesn't remember a shield. I wonder if we have it wrong (must find pictures!), or they used the seat wrong. Hmm.

mom of six

I've been a car seat geek since the mid 80's and I don't remember hearing about expiration dates until I started having my own kids in late 1990's early 2000. I think there was a recommendation out there that car seats should not be used past 10 years but it was one of those things you would know about only if you were a car seat geek.

Back in the 80's someone published a checklist of things to notice on a used car seat but the concept was not as absolute as it is now. In fact they used to sell "universal" replacement buckles and other car seat repair parts at Toys R Us!!!

thekatie

I asked mom again, and she said it was definitely that Bobby Mac. I said how it should have had a shield and she said it was broken off. There was still a harness (she sounded very huffy as she said "I mean, I strapped you in!"), and she said you could see where the shield should have attached... but apparently with so many kids using it, the seat just got busted up.

Then she said that she had a different seat, a pale colored one, in my dad's car so they didn't have to switch seats around. "Hey, it was an OB/GYN who gave me that one! It was doctor approved!" ((she said that very tongue in cheek, as she and my dad were doctors too, but obviously not super keen on car seats)) I'll have her look through your pins to see if we can find the other seat. I was born in '84 so it could have been made any time before then. I can't find a picture of it though to look myself.

Dillipop

That babyhood seat looks a lot like the seat that is sitting in my aunt's attic. I'll have to dig it up next time we make it to her house to visit. Pretty sure it has a homemade cotton cover over the vinyl one, of memory serves me right.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC