How (un)safe are big vans?

Athena

I have the impression the big vans they use as "school buses" are not very safe, but I'm not having luck searching for more info. Can anyone help?

ADS

katymyers

Like 15 passenger vans? Generally no, those aren't spectacularly safe. I wouldn't be overly concerned if I was putting kids in car seats in one but given the glaring lack of headrests and three point seat belts, they tend to be pretty risky for older passengers. There are a few exceptions, like the Nissan NV, but those are pretty uncommon and I doubt that's what you would be dealing with.

Athena

I don't know the number of passengers. It's a "school bus" van. I've seen them, but they just look like big vans to me. I've been told they have seat belts, but that's it. I was told she could use a booster, but I don't know if the belt is 3pt or if it will be compatible. I'm also concerned about van safety in general, rollover risk and all. The more I think about it I think it's too big of a hassle and we'll decline to go.

cantabdad

I think you are right to be wary because of the safety record of 15-passenger vans. At the same time, some of the key factors that contribute to their safety issues are less relevant in a school transportation context.

In particular, overloading should be less of an issue since kids weigh significantly less than adults, and driver inexperience should be less of a factor since (at least in theory) the van will have a trained, professional driver. The school transportation department should also be on top of maintenance, tire pressure, etc.

The other thing to note is that NHTSA requires any new passenger van (seating 11+) that is sold or leased for school transportation to meet stricter federal standards for school buses.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/buses/pub/noncom.hmp.html

Another thing NHTSA notes is that something like 88% of fatalities in 15-passenger vans are un-belted, which is higher than average -- I am guessing because these vehicles are often used for airport shuttles and the like, where people often forget to buckle up. I would take a close look at the seatbelts on the vehicle and see whether a carseat/booster could be installed.

Keeanh

Find out what vehicle it is exactly. I'm guessing it's a newer model Ford or GM/Chev 15p. If so, it won't have headrests, but will have electronic stability control and lap-shoulder belts. I drive one, so obviously I'm okay with them ;) I wouldn't worry one bit about a trained driver doing a school route.

Athena

Thanks for the responses!

Find out what vehicle it is exactly. I'm guessing it's a newer model Ford or GM/Chev 15p. If so, it won't have headrests, but will have electronic stability control and lap-shoulder belts. I drive one, so obviously I'm okay with them ;) I wouldn't worry one bit about a trained driver doing a school route.

I'll have to find out who to ask for the type. It might not even be a 15 passenger, but it looks big to me. I caught a quick look today at the van I think it is and the thing that struck me is that it's very tall, like it has this extra tall roof thing. Is that normal?

Athena

sounds like the new dodge/Mercedes vans. they are very tall looking

Do they look like they have this large topper put on it? Or, just occurred to me, is it because these are also used for special needs students and may need extra electrical for a lift? Is that what's in that big section on top? Sorry, I'm realizing how little I know on this topic, but I do like learning new things. :eek:

DogznKatz

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/rollover-crashes/topicoverview

Here is some material from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

My guess is that the better vans will have electronic stability control, but the height and width still make rollover an issue. I think the Sprinters are better than most, but as I mentioned before, driver training and understanding how to load passengers (weight distribution) are very important. I am sure there are differences in the year of the vehicle as well.

Athena

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/rollover-crashes/topicoverview

Here is some material from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

My guess is that the better vans will have electronic stability control, but the height and width still make rollover an issue. I think the Sprinters are better than most, but as I mentioned before, driver training and understanding how to load passengers (weight distribution) are very important. I am sure there are differences in the year of the vehicle as well.

Thanks! I'll check that out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC