Travel with Click Tight or Latch?

Hazelandlucy

If I bought a Boulevard for travel, the regular/older version weighs 20 lbs so much easier to deal with. The latch limits are 40 lbs of child weight - my almost 3 yr old is 30 lbs so latch will get her a long way. So it seems obvious to buy that over the CT version, right?

But is the CT going to be a fool proof installation in European cars vs using latch/isofix? We put the the carseat in a stroller to push through the airport or my husband carries it so the extra weight not a deal breaker.

Does CT work even on non locking seat belts?

The other seat I am thinking about is the Peg Perego. It has very similar dimensions and weight to the Boulevard. Is one much easier to install with latch and fly with than the other?

Last edited:
ADS

Dillipop

The click right would be awesome for non locking European belts. But the regular blvd also has locking clips that would work as well, I believe.

cantabdad

The Britax instruction manual for the new Click Tights does not contain any of the usual language about checking what type of seatbelt you have or needing to lock the seatbelt for a seatbelt installation. I don't want to over-interpret that, but it does seem like that implies that the CT essentially functions as a lockoff. If that is the case, it should be OK to use a CT carseat in a European car that did not have automatic locking retractor seatbelts -- and that would definitely be quite handy. Isofix/Latch is becoming more common in Europe but it is still not universal, even in newer vehicles.

I think the Peg-Perego Primo Viaggio does not have lockoffs (at least in the RF position), so that would make it less than ideal for European trips.

Hazelandlucy

How do I find out if a VW Passat (2007 or 2008) wagon has locking seat belts and /or Isofix? My MIL doesn't know....I tried asking already.

I guess without Isofix/latch, a click tight installation would be way easier rather than hoping I can get it right with locking clips?

If I don't go for the CT, are seat belt installations easier in the G4 Boulevard or the Peg?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

cantabdad

I haven't used the Peg-Perego, but since it doesn't have true lockoffs (just "guides", according to the info here) I would prefer the Britax for a European seatbelt installation. I actually prefer the old style Britax lockoffs that were on the outside, rather than the current setup in the belt path, but either of those should be easier on you than using a locking clip with the Peg.

Can your MIL just stick her hand into the gap in the backseat and report back as to whether she felt Isofix anchors? I would not be surprised if the car doesn't have Isofix, even though that is when it was starting to be phased in. I think it almost certainly won't have automatic locking retractor seatbelts.

Hazelandlucy

I haven't used the Peg-Perego, but since it doesn't have true lockoffs (just "guides", according to the info here) I would prefer the Britax for a European seatbelt installation. I actually prefer the old style Britax lockoffs that were on the outside, rather than the current setup in the belt path, but either of those should be easier on you than using a locking clip with the Peg.

Can your MIL just stick her hand into the gap in the backseat and report back as to whether she felt Isofix anchors? I would not be surprised if the car doesn't have Isofix, even though that is when it was starting to be phased in. I think it almost certainly won't have automatic locking retractor seatbelts.

Ok ...so if no Latch and no locking seat belts, I could use the G4 Britax with the built in lock offs, the Peg with a locking clip (harder) or the Click Tight (easiest)?

Are they equally easy on the plane?

Thanks so much

cantabdad

Yes, that's a good way of putting it.

I don't think you'll see much difference between them on the plane. My only direct experience is with the older Britaxes, but they should all be pretty easy to install using the aircraft lap belt. You really just thread the seatbelt through and pull tight.

At first I was concerned that there might be some sort of incompatibility / intereference between the Click Tight system and the plane's lap belt, but that does not appear to be the case according to the Britax CT manuals. It looks like you just buckle normally and don't engage the CT system.

Hazelandlucy

So I called Britax and they told me with a non locking seat belt I need a locking clip with a G4 or a CT. Is that true that even with the G4 having built in lock offs, I need a clip? She didn't sound the most knowledgable so I am a little confused! I really hope that car has latch!

cantabdad

So I called Britax and they told me with a non locking seat belt I need a locking clip with a G4 or a CT. Is that true that even with the G4 having built in lock offs, I need a clip? She didn't sound the most knowledgable so I am a little confused! I really hope that car has latch!

I hate to contradict their own phone rep, but that is not consistent with what's written in the user's manuals for either the G4 or the CT models.

Admittedly CT is new to me -- but at least with conventional lockoffs like on the older models, the whole point of using them is to lock a non-ALR seatbelt without having to use a locking clip.

cantabdad

Here is an excerpt from the Marathon manual:

ELR (Emergency Locking Retractor) with a Sliding Latch Plate
(a) Has a latch plate that freely slides along the vehicle
seat belt webbing.
(b) Has a retractor that locks only in an emergency situation such as sudden
stop or crash.

IMPORTANT: This belt type requires the use of the lock-offs built into the
seat for rear- and forward-facing installations. See page 19 for information on using the lock-offs.

Hazelandlucy

Thanks so much. She gave me some really weird answers about a lot of things!

So just to verify...the click tight does not use lock offs at all?

That will be my choice if I can't use a Peg with latch.

Dillipop

The CT system IS the lock off. To use CT, you literally buckle the seatbelt, remove slack, and push the clicktight system down over the seatbelt. You do not lock the belt in any way, as the clicktight does it for you.

Hazelandlucy

Geez, Britax needs better training for the phone reps. The answers she gave me about a lot of things were pretty crazy. I could not have been more clear about my non locking seatbelt issue and repeated it back to her several times "so I need a separate locking clip and can not use the built in lockoffs on any model..."

I really flustered her when asking about the Advocate side cushions! I have always been curious about the 45% reduction in crash force...as opposed to what?? A Boulevard? Any other carseat without cushions? I straight up asked exactly that and she talked in circles for 5 minutes. No, not compared to a Boulevard or any other car seat. But it is safer. Not 45% safer, but safer (ok, that's what you advertise, but maybe she meant in general). Never could find out safer than what!

Hazelandlucy

Re: Travel with Click Tight or Lockoffs?

So the UK car has no isofix or locking seat belts. I think I will just buy a Britax CT and use a stroller in the airports for DD1. But for DD2, what would be easiest between a Coccoro and a Keyfit?

cottonpenny

I'm not a tech, but that seems like a super odd answer. I just installed my Roundabout 55 (same shell as the G4, etc.) with a seatbelt using the lock offs and therefore didn't lock the belt.

So that's the same thing as a European seat belt that doesn't lock, right? European seat belts must still lock in an emergency/quick stop, right?

Anyway, I had never done lock offs before and it took me 3 tries to get it in really tight like I like it, but with practice it wouldn't be too bad. The real value of CT, I think, is when people who have not practiced, are not willing or able to practice, or you don't trust to do it correctly (grandparents, nannies, stubborn DH's, etc.).

cantabdad

So the UK car has no isofix or locking seat belts. I think I will just buy a Britax CT and use a stroller in the airports for DD1. But for DD2, what would be easiest between a Coccoro and a Keyfit?

Usually when people travel with an infant seat, they don't bring the base (since it is bulky and ordinarily can't be used on the aircraft).

But interestingly, the instruction manual for the Keyfit prohibits you from installing it base-less with an ELR belt of the kind that is in your MIL's car:

"NEVER install CARRIER without Base using a non-locking ELR vehicle belt. The installation will NOT be secure."

I'm not sure why the manual doesn't mention the option of a locking clip; maybe a tech could comment on that.

But taking the manual at its word, if you went with the Keyfit, it sounds like you would need to bring the base along in your luggage to be able to use it in the car. That's kind of a pain, but the advantage would be the convenience of having a bucket-type seat during your travels -- for example if the baby is still sleeping when you arrive on your overnight flight, she can just be carried off the plane without disturbing her. And the Keyfit base does have a lockoff that can be used with ELR seatbelts.

I suppose the Coccoro has more of an edge in terms of being lightweight (compared to Keyfit + base) and a little more straightforward about installation. It also has lockoffs. And arguably it's a little more versatile or longlasting as a travel seat since it can also be used FF later -- though that's not terribly relevant if you have other seats you are planning to use for ERF.

Hazelandlucy

Usually when people travel with an infant seat, they don't bring the base (since it is bulky and ordinarily can't be used on the aircraft).

But interestingly, the instruction manual for the Keyfit prohibits you from installing it base-less with an ELR belt of the kind that is in your MIL's car:

"NEVER install CARRIER without Base using a non-locking ELR vehicle belt. The installation will NOT be secure."

I'm not sure why the manual doesn't mention the option of a locking clip; maybe a tech could comment on that.

But taking the manual at its word, if you went with the Keyfit, it sounds like you would need to bring the base along in your luggage to be able to use it in the car. That's kind of a pain, but the advantage would be the convenience of having a bucket-type seat during your travels -- for example if the baby is still sleeping when you arrive on your overnight flight, she can just be carried off the plane without disturbing her. And the Keyfit base does have a lockoff that can be used with ELR seatbelts.

I suppose the Coccoro has more of an edge in terms of being lightweight (compared to Keyfit + base) and a little more straightforward about installation. It also has lockoffs. And arguably it's a little more versatile or longlasting as a travel seat since it can also be used FF later -- though that's not terribly relevant if you have other seats you are planning to use for ERF.

Thanks so much!

I do need a lock off clip for the CCO if RF. The built ins are only for FF. Do you know if an adult can fit in the back seat with two carseats? We will need to fit 3 adults and 2 kids in the car. Any known complications with certain seats?

cottonpenny

Do you have the Keyfit and the CCO already?

If so, I'd put them next to whichever Britax you're going to bring and see which puzzles better.

My dad has a (North American) 2005 VW Passat wagon, so I don't know how it compares to the European 2008 one. I was able to get a RF Sureride outboard and a baseless Snugride middle seat in that car with room for an adult outboard, but it did require the Snugride to kind of sit under the edge of the Sureride, if that makes sense. It would not have worked on the base, I don't think.

henrietta

Thanks so much!

I do need a lock off clip for the CCO if RF. The built ins are only for FF. Do you know if an adult can fit in the back seat with two carseats? We will need to fit 3 adults and 2 kids in the car. Any known complications with certain seats?

I know this is old (came across the thread looking for info on the Advocate CT), but for anyone reading, the Cocorro includes a separate lock off to use rear facing if needed (in addition to the built in lock offs of forward facing).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC