She had the right idea, but totally missed the boat

Niea

I'm traveling for business this week and had to take a really early flight this morning.

There was this mother with an infant, I'd say roughly 5-6mos old. She had an airplane seat for the baby and an infant seat, too. Except that she didn't install the infant seat at all! She had it forward facing with baby in it (not even buckled), too.

Sigh. So it seems she was just after convenience, not safety, even though she had all she needed to make her baby's ride super safe. I mean, if you're going to go to the trouble to bring the infant seat, might as well install it, ya know? :(

ADS

MomToEliEm

I think if I had been seated near her, I would have said something. This might have been her first time in an airplane with the child and just didn't know how to install the seat without a base or that the seat can be used rearfacing.

hopefully a flight attendant corrected her error somewhere before takeoff. That baby in a seat could be a huge projectile if tthere had been an accident.

Niea

I hope so someone did help her. She was sitting in the first row in coach, while I was way in the back. I was also one of the last people to get on a full plane, so everyone was trying to get us seated quickly so we could take off. If I was closer to her, I'd have said something and helped her install it, for sure.

sb518

that would be tourturous for me...

looking at a car seat and a seat belt, and you can't install it.

:eek:

that's like a horrible nightmare!

jlr9882

I was out with a friend a few weeks ago. I about had a heart attack 3 times. First we were eating at McDonalds. I saw a family walk outside with a girl that about 10 or so, a toddler/preschooler, and a baby. When they drove off, the preschooler was in the back of the van in a carseat and the 10 year old holding the baby in the front seat!!! On the way to walmart, I saw a lady holding a preschooler on her lap in the front seat. He was really close to the airbag too. It was an older car, so I don't even think you can turn it off. There was a older kid in the back seat with some boxes next to her. Leaving Walmart, I saw a child standing up in the van while the van was still moving.

lovemyfamily

I think if I had been seated near her, I would have said something. This might have been her first time in an airplane with the child and just didn't know how to install the seat without a base or that the seat can be used rearfacing.

hopefully a flight attendant corrected her error somewhere before takeoff. That baby in a seat could be a huge projectile if tthere had been an accident.

The flight attendants should verify that everyone is strapped in. However, if they are not paying enough attention, or don't know how the carseats are installed, they may only see baby in the seat and not realize it is not buckled in. They don't teach carseat installs in flight attendant training.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC