Pls recommend a Combo seat for 32 M/O

CandCfam

We would like to get a 2nd car seat for our toddler, who is 2 1/2. She's about 27 lbs and 36" tall. We don't want to get another Britax, only because this seat will not be used often at all, so we'd like to keep the purchase cheaper. I'd like to do a combination seat.
Anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive combo seat?

TIA!:)

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My kiddo sometimes uses a Graco Platinum Cargo ... I *think* there's a review of it in these forums, too. The top harness slot is 17" up [higher than her old Safety First], but after 40 pounds has to be used as a booster. It doesn't have any EPS foam that I'm aware of, but it is comfortably padded & has a recline option, plus the easy harness adjuster in front. As a booster it's for up to 100 pounds. I'm not sure, but I remember it costing about $75-80? It has fit really well in all the vehicles we've tried it in ~ Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Pontiac, Jeep, Toyota, Nissan & BMW at this point {LOL} My daughter is 2+3/4 & only 25#, but 39-40" ... still using the harness. It's our extra seat ~ usually she rides in a Wizard.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Platinum Cargo DOES have EPS foam now, it's really nice :)

The Evenflo Chase (or Traditions at Toys R Us) is also another tall top slotted, well padded, easy to install and use choice.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Here's a good shopping guide for combo seats.

Personally, I'd look at the following models:

Evenflo Chase/Vision/ Traditions
These 3 seats are made with the same basic shell, but have varying degrees of "comfort" features. Personally, I like the on-the-harness adjuster, but not everyone does.

Evenflo Comet
This model has EPS Foam, and a knob to adjust the harness tightness.

Graco Ultra CarGo or Platinum CarGo
Seats produced after July 19, 2004 have EPS foam. Different models have varying degrees of comfort features (cup holders, padding, etc). I would only consider the Ultra or Platinum CarGo; other models of CarGo do not have harness adjusters which can be accessed when the seat is installed in a vehicle.

I wouldn't look at Cosco/Safety 1st/Eddie Bauer (all three are made by Dorel) seats, because they have very low top harness slots which many children, especially those who have long torsos) will outgrow before 40 lb.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I have another question....

I see that many of these combination seats are for booster only up to 80 pounds. Our Graco is for up to 100 pounds & I'm sure my kid will reach 4'9" before she gets that heavy, but I'm wondering if, since she's so skinny & will fit width-wise, can she continue to use the seat after her ears pass the top of the shell *IF* there's an adjustable head rest behind her head & above the booster? I mean, I'm obviously not grappling with this at the moment, but the thought just crossed my mind to ask whether or not it's a definitive thing that once the top of the ears are over the top of the shell the kid can't use it even though there might be a solid head rest behind their head anyway???

CandCfam

Thanks, and a new ?

Know anything about the Nania Nuevo? Looks really nice.... and Baby Universe has it on sale for $69.99
Know if it can be used in aircraft?
l494-65518.jpg

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I see that many of these combination seats are for booster only up to 80 pounds. Our Graco is for up to 100 pounds & I'm sure my kid will reach 4'9" before she gets that heavy, but I'm wondering if, since she's so skinny & will fit width-wise, can she continue to use the seat after her ears pass the top of the shell *IF* there's an adjustable head rest behind her head & above the booster? I mean, I'm obviously not grappling with this at the moment, but the thought just crossed my mind to ask whether or not it's a definitive thing that once the top of the ears are over the top of the shell the kid can't use it even though there might be a solid head rest behind their head anyway???>>

Hhehehe, my 49 inch kid is almost too tall for any of those combo boosters...and he's maybe 45 pounds!

But I digress...good question you asked! Hmm...I have a feeling it probably doesn't matter TOO much, if there's a head support behind the booster. I'm thinking in a rear-ender, the head would flip back and the neck would bend in an unnaturally forced way if the head was going over the top of a booster and there was no other headrest, but if it's going to be supported by a taller headrest, that would keep everything in place fairly well (though if you've just seen all the headlines about how UNsupportive even adjustable headrests are, that throws another worry out there for us to ponder...ugh)

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC