Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Pls recommend a Combo seat for 32 M/O

We would like to get a 2nd car seat for our toddler, who is 2 1/2. She's about 27 lbs and 36" tall. We don't want to get another Britax, only because this seat will not be used often at all, so we'd like to keep the purchase cheaper. I'd like to do a combination seat.
    Anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive combo seat?

TIA!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

My kiddo sometimes uses a Graco Platinum Cargo ... I *think* there's a review of it in these forums, too. The top harness slot is 17" up [higher than her old Safety First], but after 40 pounds has to be used as a booster. It doesn't have any EPS foam that I'm aware of, but it is comfortably padded & has a recline option, plus the easy harness adjuster in front. As a booster it's for up to 100 pounds. I'm not sure, but I remember it costing about $75-80? It has fit really well in all the vehicles we've tried it in ~ Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Pontiac, Jeep, Toyota, Nissan & BMW at this point {LOL} My daughter is 2+3/4 & only 25#, but 39-40" ... still using the harness. It's our extra seat ~ usually she rides in a Wizard.
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar
    The Platinum Cargo DOES have EPS foam now, it's really nice

The Evenflo Chase (or Traditions at Toys R Us) is also another tall top slotted, well padded, easy to install and use choice.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar
    Here's a good shopping guide for combo seats.

Personally, I'd look at the following models:

Evenflo Chase/Vision/ Traditions
    These 3 seats are made with the same basic shell, but have varying degrees of "comfort" features. Personally, I like the on-the-harness adjuster, but not everyone does.

Evenflo Comet
    This model has EPS Foam, and a knob to adjust the harness tightness.

Graco Ultra CarGo or Platinum CarGo
    Seats produced after July 19, 2004 have EPS foam. Different models have varying degrees of comfort features (cup holders, padding, etc). I would only consider the Ultra or Platinum CarGo; other models of CarGo do not have harness adjusters which can be accessed when the seat is installed in a vehicle.

I wouldn't look at Cosco/Safety 1st/Eddie Bauer (all three are made by Dorel) seats, because they have very low top harness slots which many children, especially those who have long torsos) will outgrow before 40 lb.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

I have another question....

I see that many of these combination seats are for booster only up to 80 pounds. Our Graco is for up to 100 pounds & I'm sure my kid will reach 4'9" before she gets that heavy, but I'm wondering if, since she's so skinny & will fit width-wise, can she continue to use the seat after her ears pass the top of the shell *IF* there's an adjustable head rest behind her head & above the booster? I mean, I'm obviously not grappling with this at the moment, but the thought just crossed my mind to ask whether or not it's a definitive thing that once the top of the ears are over the top of the shell the kid can't use it even though there might be a solid head rest behind their head anyway???
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Thanks, and a new ?

Know anything about the Nania Nuevo? Looks really nice.... and Baby Universe has it on sale for $69.99
    Know if it can be used in aircraft?
    Last edited by CandCfam; 11-17-2004 at 10:41 PM.

nevermind that last question

I think I just found out that it only goes to 40" with the harness.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar
    I see that many of these combination seats are for booster only up to 80 pounds. Our Graco is for up to 100 pounds & I'm sure my kid will reach 4'9" before she gets that heavy, but I'm wondering if, since she's so skinny & will fit width-wise, can she continue to use the seat after her ears pass the top of the shell *IF* there's an adjustable head rest behind her head & above the booster? I mean, I'm obviously not grappling with this at the moment, but the thought just crossed my mind to ask whether or not it's a definitive thing that once the top of the ears are over the top of the shell the kid can't use it even though there might be a solid head rest behind their head anyway???>>

Hhehehe, my 49 inch kid is almost too tall for any of those combo boosters...and he's maybe 45 pounds!

But I digress...good question you asked! Hmm...I have a feeling it probably doesn't matter TOO much, if there's a head support behind the booster. I'm thinking in a rear-ender, the head would flip back and the neck would bend in an unnaturally forced way if the head was going over the top of a booster and there was no other headrest, but if it's going to be supported by a taller headrest, that would keep everything in place fairly well (though if you've just seen all the headlines about how UNsupportive even adjustable headrests are, that throws another worry out there for us to ponder...ugh)

Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good