Question 2015 Subaru Outback vs. 2013/2014 Honda CRV

U

Unregistered

My DH's old 2 door VW Gulf TDI that he bought after getting his first job is dying (except for the engine) and is not working well for us; we need better accessibility. We are on the fence between spending more money on a 2015 Subaru (more painful because I think the limited would be best for the rear a/c vent ) and most likely a slightly used Honda CRV (2013 or 2014). Again, the higher package has a few things we wanted. We like the refresh on the 2015 Subaru and so it seems worth it to get new if we go with the Subaru. The Honda did a refresh in 2013 and the 2015s are not out yet so a 2014 or 2013 with low mileage would be good to try and save money. We want safety, good gas mileage, affordability, ease for up to two car seats, ease for getting a child with a disability into the car, and decent storage for a stroller, possible wheelchair later, home store purchases, etc... We know we need to jump up in size, but hate to jump to a huge vehicle as we live in a city and just have our one little sweetie for now. Our daughter has issues with heat and cold which is why we prefer a rear ac vent if the car gets a bit larger. We do think leather holds up better for keeping a car longer and for easy cleaning. Does anyone have any thoughts on these or other vehicles? We had considered a Mazda 5 for cost and flexibility, but we stopped considering it when we saw the safety ratings. The Mazda CX5's back seat was too disappointing to keep considering it. The Forester drove too much like a truck for my taste, and we didn't feel it cooled down that well with only front ac vents in 90+ degree weather. We don't have to have all wheel drive, but a somewhat raised car in case of minor street flooding is nice.

ADS

SavsMom

I think both are great choices. But if I had to choose I would go with the Outback. It is a step above the CRV in terms of size and features, however in all fairness the CRV really competes in the same class as the Forester, not the Outback.

Reasons I like the Outback: Great safety ratings and safety features, superior awd, overall quality, smooth ride and quiet cabin, seating comfort, ease of entry and exit, good mpg for an awd.

My parents have had an Outback since 2010. They are currently waiting the arrival of their new 2015. They love theirs (and my dad being a retired Ford dealer - can be very picky about vehicles).

cantabdad

They both are great vehicles that are known for being reliable and family-friendly.

We have a 2014 Outback and have enjoyed it so far. The new 2015 models have some improvemenets in terms of fuel economy and features.

I think the Outback has the edge over the CR-V in backseat legroom and smoother ride due to its longer wheelbase. That being said, that also makes it about 10 inches longer than the CR-V, which could be an issue if you are navigating tight spaces. (We also live in a city and wouldn't really go any bigger, but so far haven't had any trouble with parking.)

The Outback also has greater ground clearance (for snow in our case, or minor flooding in your case) and slightly better EPA-rated fuel economy.

In terms of safety, the Outback scored higher on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's challenging frontal small offset test (Good rating for the 2015 Outback; Acceptable for 2013-2014 Outback; Marginal for the CR-V). It is hard to gauge how meaningful that one test is. The Outback can also be equipped with the Eyesight system, which provides a highly rated forward collision warning with auto-braking.

One advantage to the CR-V is that, if you really don't need AWD, the CR-V is available as a 2WD model, which will save you money both in purchase price and in all of your routine maintenance (service always seems to cost a bit more for 4WD models due to the extra components).

Since you already own a VW -- have you considered their (Jetta) Sportwagen? It's relatively inexpensive, has rear A/C vents (even in the lowest trim level, I think), and plenty of cargo space. It also gets good gas mileage (exceptionally good in the case of the TDI version). I've always heard anecdotes about VW reliability issues, but Consumer Reports describes the Sportwagen as being above-average on reliability. The Sportwagen is being redesigned for 2015, so you could see if you like the new one better, or if you'd rather scoop up a 2014 model at a discount.

vtbecca

We test drove both and went with the Outback. The same trim level, but the outback felt more polished. The ride also seemed smoother. The one thing I preferred about the CRV is that there is no hump in the middle of the floor in the back. Seemed like it would be more comfortable for the rider in the middle to not have the bump, but there really was no contest for us about which car we would go with. We have had ours about 5 weeks and put 2,000 miles on it already. It is the favorite car and we all love it.

Have fun shopping!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC