SIL & the niece/nephews

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I hung out with the kids on Saturday. Nothing more fun that leaving my comfy bed at 6:00 a.m so I can babysit them at 7.

I got to go to back to back 3rd grade flag football and kdg. soccer games. :cool: (Except for the 60 degrees and damp wind, it was pretty fun).

In the course of the day, I had 1-3 of them in my car while the others (+ 2 friends) traveled in the Windstar. My neice used an Airway as a booster. (I didn't want to move the straps since it's a new seat intended for another family). The 8 yr old hasn't passed the 5 step in my back seat, so he used my Turbo. For entertainment, I also had the 8 yr. try out the Airway as a booster and he fits - ears (just barely) below the top of the shell. (Like good nieces and nephews, they willingly endulge their aunt w/o complaint.)

In the van, the youngest two passengers were in a backless and a HB booster on the captains chairs and the older two were in the back - the bench is much narrower than the captains chair or my back seat so I wasn't too concerned.

Last fall, I loaned MY Airway to my SIL as she was using their Yukon (not the Windstar) as primary vehicle. It has lap belt only in the middle. Sometime this spring the Airway was removed. I've asked the kids. They said they don't use it, but didn't really say 'why.' AGGHH!

When I saw the Airway in the garage I asked if she had out grown it (I don't think she's 50 lbs yet. . .). I didn't get an answer to that but she said they don't use the Yukon to travel as a family. BUT, when they do, the 10 yr old rides up front.

With what? A lap belt? :eek: That's just grand. :rolleyes: Even better than the BACK seat with a lap belt. :rolleyes:

I commented, "No, not a lap belt, not in the front seat, that's even worse. I offered to reinstalled the Airway FOR her but was turned down. She just wanted me to make it disappear.

Granted, they've finally landed in a new community in Aug./new house in mid September after being in limbo since last year. The majority of their belongings were in storage to "help" sell their home. My brother stayed part time with me all last year because his new job is here, not in MN where they lived for the last 15+ years. The whole family "camped" in temporary housing since school started in August (no w/d, no stove, mini fridge, beds and a card table were the only furnishings). The furniture, etc. arrived Friday, so I know she's totally overwhelmed with "stuff" BUT she has TWO tech SILs!! I thought we'd rubbed off a bit more than this!

I'll try again, but I'm pretty bummed.

ADS

jlr9882

I had my two nephews (3yrs and 14 mos) over the summer for a week. The oldest is already in a no-back booster (their state says he can be) and the youngest is already FFing although he just now is 20 1/2- 21 lbs. So in mine and my mom's car (we were sharing a car at that time) we put the 3 year old in a harnessed carseat and the 14 month old back RFing. No complaints from either. I put the oldest in the center so that he could entertain his brother and my son who was in a graco ss1. Both my mom and I have tried talking to my older sister, but it hasn't helped. The thing that bugs me is that she had a perfectly fine carseat an EB comb seat that harnesses to 40 lb then turns into a hbb. But, she gave it away to someone who had a very young baby that wouldn't even be able to use it for a while. And now that person, doesn't even her child in it but a older overhead shield. My oldest nephew could have still been in that harness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC