Went to the baby specialty store today.....

cpsaddict

My bff and I went to our local specialty store to try out some seats and strollers. I thought I'd share my thoughts on some seats.

Her dd is 10.5 mths, 22lbs, not sure on height, but she is fairly long-torsoed. She is at the second slots on her MA.

Recaro Como: I cannot see an older child fitting in this seat at all. Her dd is only ten months and her shoulders are looking stuffed in there. We took out all of the extra padding. The wings would not even fit on either side of her. The harness tightened up really nicely. We also did not like the huge base it sits on.

Sunshine Kids Radian: Her dd looked squished down by her thighs and she hated the straps so close to her neck.That car seat is HEAVY. I also could not get the harness to tighten up all the way. It seemed sticky, but it might have been the store model. Overall, I still don't like it. It might work great for some people and especially in a three across, but I just don't care for it.

Graco Safeseat 1: She fit with like three inches above her head and did not look squished at all really.

We loved the Mossy Oak and the Mariposa cover. A Mariposa cover is in LO's future!

We also tried out Hotslings(LOVE THEM!) and several strollers. Still love the orange Bob Revolution!! The Quinny Zap is strange and I found a $250 Graco:)eek:). We found the Fleurville diaper bags(LOVE THEM!!).
We were disappointed that they did not have a selection of cloth diapers. We both wanted to check them out, but alas we will have to hunt further for a BM store to see them.

Anyhow, just wanted to share. We had a blast trying everything out.

ADS

Mama!

The Como hip cushion is optional.

For a FF child, supposedly the head cushions can come out. We use them for our BIG boy who is still RF in the Como.

It is actually bigger than it looks. My 4 yr old would easily fit FF in it for a long time.

cpsaddict

We took ALL of the cushions out, but the Como narrows towards the top. I will say that the harness adjuster was awesome. Buttery smooth! LOL! :D

cpsaddict

Jenny, they only have the Como right now. It's the dark blue with a lighter blue. They had a ton of boosters. They had the Sahara and the Madison Regent.
I really was not impressed with the Radian or the Como, but that is JUST my opinion!!:D:D:D
Oh and the Safeguard child seat is NICE, which it should be for $450! LOL

TXDani

Senior Community Member
That is so funny Segal's has the Como I asked them 2 or 3 times in July and August if they were getting the new Recaro seats and each time they said "ummm no we will NOT be carrying those!" and looked at me like my head was on backward. But hm they do have it...I couldn't think of why they wouldn't. I am glad y'all had fun! I love that store except I can't go there with my kids because it is so cramped!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm really shocked at the width room in the SS1 vs. the Radian. My ds's shoulders *just* barely fit in his SS1, but he has loads of room widthwise in the Radian and has more room in it than the MA.

My ds still has a bit - maybe 1 to 1.5", growth room in his SS1, but it is very hard to buckle him in because he leans forward and his shoulders don't fit easily unless he relaxes and leans back. I still haven't decided if I'm putting it back in the truck for the winter until he outgrows it or not... I want the carrier so I can use the fleece pop-over to help keep him warm, but I don't want the hassle it is to buckle him in in it now. :rolleyes:

cpsaddict

OMG, that store is packed! They had quite a mish mash of seats. The old Triumph and Titan, a bunch of MA's, 2 RA's, 1 Boulevard and 1 DC. They also had two of the Safeguard GO! and several other seats. And the Como. Just one sitting there. They also had the Apex, but it was the Signature series. A parent asked who made it and the sales guy hedged and hedged and finally said, "well, it's made by Dorel, ahem, uhh, aka COSCO". The parents were like, oh, is this the Apex? :D That was the only Dorel in the place, aside from the Maxi Cosi infant seat.
They do have lots of carriers. My friend found a Hotsling she loved.
I found the Fleurville Mothership.I WANT it.:p

scatterbunny

Wow, yeah, I was there in July and they didn't have Recaro and didn't plan on carrying Recaro, and they didn't have the Madison Regent (Hayley would have pitched a fit right there in the store if they'd had that one :p ). I tried Hayley in all kinds of seats that day: Air Booster, Monarch, Radian, Safeguard, Apex. I also really liked the Safeguard but it is WAAAAAYYY short in the seat depth. I know that's become my big issue with seats lately, but it's truly an issue, IMO. Hayley's got a good two inches of torso room (so at least two years) but found the seat even more uncomfortable than the Radian.

And OH how I love that Mossy Oak, too. :love: I keep trying to talk Mark's co-workers into it for their little ones (three of his co-workers have babies under a year old).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC