Fourth kid, but first time choosing infant seat!

aept

So even though I've been hanging around here for years, I know next-to-nothing about which infant seat I should want for #4.
We used a hand-me-down infant seat from family (yes, I know...) so it's not something we ever chose ourselves. It was a Graco Snugride 22 and at least it was front-adjust. It was "fine" but I want something that will last longer this time. My oldest two outgrew the Snugride 22 by height and/or weight by 4 months. It's expired and long gone now.

I would like to get this little May baby through his (or her!) first winter in an infant seat, so probably until 10 months or so. Two of my three were 30lbs by a year.
I would like something that can fit outboard, baseless, next to a FF radian installed in the center seat of a Prius.
Usually the infant seat would be used on a base in a minivan but I want it to fit in the Prius when I drive it or if daddy needs to take the little one somewhere - it's hopefully easy enough to remove one of the backless boosters that is usually outboard and buckle in an infant seat instead.

I prefer mid-range pricing. I have a long time to search for a deal and I would consider buying used from a trusted member here. This baby will be our last so if it has good "resale value" that is a plus too since I could hopefully sell it when done, or perhaps I will pass it to my sister if she has a baby next.

ADS

nataliem257

So even though I've been hanging around here for years, I know next-to-nothing about which infant seat I should want for #4.
We used a hand-me-down infant seat from family (yes, I know...) so it's not something we ever chose ourselves. It was a Graco Snugride 22 and at least it was front-adjust. It was "fine" but I want something that will last longer this time. My oldest two outgrew the Snugride 22 by height and/or weight by 4 months. It's expired and long gone now.

I would like to get this little May baby through his (or her!) first winter in an infant seat, so probably until 10 months or so. Two of my three were 30lbs by a year.
I would like something that can fit outboard, baseless, next to a FF radian installed in the center seat of a Prius.
Usually the infant seat would be used on a base in a minivan but I want it to fit in the Prius when I drive it or if daddy needs to take the little one somewhere - it's hopefully easy enough to remove one of the backless boosters that is usually outboard and buckle in an infant seat instead.

I prefer mid-range pricing. I have a long time to search for a deal and I would consider buying used from a trusted member here. This baby will be our last so if it has good "resale value" that is a plus too since I could hopefully sell it when done, or perhaps I will pass it to my sister if she has a baby next.

Keyfut meets your criteria, and is very easy to resell on Craigslist because of the brand recognition. Narrow, fairly compact, 30 lb weight limit and reasonably tall shell, and the most stupidly easy base install ever. One of the new Gracos might work too but I'm not familiar with those. Super cute covers too as a bonus.

ETA : edited, because I am officially brain dead for the night.

Last edited:

katymyers

I would look into a Keyfit, I think that hits all your requirements and they're incredibly user-friendly. I think you'd be very happy with one.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Some tall children may reach the height limit of the Keyfit before a year, and it has a max weight of 30 lbs so I'm not sure with your history of larger babies that it would be sure to last 10 months.

I would look at the Onboard Air. It is quite a bit taller than the Keyfit, and is also quite narrow. When installed baseless, it is very compact. It does take up more front-back room when used with the base however. It goes to 32" or 35 lbs, and will last an average-sized baby to about 18 months old.

With a kohl's charge card and the codes SPLURGE30 and GIGGLES10 you can buy it for about $105ish on sale right now.

It also fits preemies well so just in case, that's a nice thing. The Keyfit does too.

seb3244

Some tall children may reach the height limit of the Keyfit before a year, and it has a max weight of 30 lbs so I'm not sure with your history of larger babies that it would be sure to last 10 months. I would look at the Onboard Air. It is quite a bit taller than the Keyfit, and is also quite narrow. When installed baseless, it is very compact. It does take up more front-back room when used with the base however. It goes to 32" or 35 lbs, and will last an average-sized baby to about 18 months old. With a kohl's charge card and the codes SPLURGE30 and GIGGLES10 you can buy it for about $105ish on sale right now. It also fits preemies well so just in case, that's a nice thing. The Keyfit does too.

Op I really like my britax b ready bob version and it is to 32 or 35lbs if I remember correctly.

Also Brigala what else can I get with those khols codes right now?! I am in need of a high back booster for my almost 7 yr old niece and a nataulis or something similar for my 4.5 yr old niece. They ride with me a lot so I want permanent seats that can stay in my new (to me) suburban
Thanks!!

katymyers

Op I really like my britax b ready bob version and it is to 32 or 35lbs if I remember correctly. Also Brigala what else can I get with those khols codes right now?! I am in need of a high back booster for my almost 7 yr old niece and a nataulis or something similar for my 4.5 yr old niece. They ride with me a lot so I want permanent seats that can stay in my new (to me) suburban Thanks!!
The B Safe is 30 lbs and 32 in that's what I chose over the Keyfit for myself. I've loved the seat and I'm glad I didn't go with something else. I had a totally different set of must-haves though which is why I recommended the Keyfit. Brigala's right though, a taller baby won't last as long in it as other seats. An OnBoard or even a Graco Snugride 35 would both be great choices for taller/heavier babies.

Snow mom

Op I really like my britax b ready bob version and it is to 32 or 35lbs if I remember correctly. Also Brigala what else can I get with those khols codes right now?! I am in need of a high back booster for my almost 7 yr old niece and a nataulis or something similar for my 4.5 yr old niece. They ride with me a lot so I want permanent seats that can stay in my new (to me) suburban Thanks!!
The codes are:
One that ends in 10- $10 off a baby purchase over $30 (includes gear/car seats)
One that ends in 30- 30% off your purchase (they take this off after the $ off amount)
FS over $75 automatically or try SEPTMVC or FREESHIP4U for FS with your kohls charge

OP: I really like my snugride35 (it's a classic connect and I don't have direct experience with the click connects). My DS is just outgrowing it by height at 18 months (based on 1" over head) and he measured at his checkup at 33.25". We moved him out of it a few months ago but I had to put him back in just to see.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The GIGGLES10 code doesn't work online on all baby items, but if you're willing to call customer service they have been good about applying it to baby items that are not working online.

SPLURGE30 is good sitewide, with Kohl's charge card.

The Snugride 35 is really nice, but I'm pretty sure the Onboard Air is narrower. The Click Connect SR35 doesn't have lock-offs on the base unless you get their deluxe version, or a 2nd base. The SR35 and the OB35 are very close to the same in height capacity. Either one would likely work well for your situation.

aept

I would rather not have a second base because I want a backless booster to be able to be put right back into place on the seat without uninstalling a base.

These sounds like great suggestions to get me started. Thanks!

bnsnyde

I asked a similar question for baby #6 and I might get the Keyfit. I might take out a backless booster (son would be 9 so maybe I'd get one) and then install infant seat daily. So ease of use is a must! :)

My first 3 kids used the same infant seat and when kid #4 was born it was still not expired. I just wanted a new seat, lol, and bought a Chaperone. I could kick myself for buying it on sale. It was brand new in the box but 2 years old. So expires when baby is a month old.

aept

I very briefly looked at the keyfit in Target and it looked promising. I didn't get to see the Onboard air yet anywhere but there's really no rush except my own curiousity - lol.
When are you due? Early May for me.

aept

Well, I'm still looking. I went to BuyBuyBaby with my 3-year old in tow yesterday.
I did kind of like the Graco Snugride 35 (either the EX or regular) but the only ones I saw were the click connect. I would like to find the classic connect too because I could get my old Graco stroller back from my sis (who is storing it) and it would be compatible to pop in there.
I really do not like that stroller but it is free. :/

I didn't like the texture of the fabrics on the keyfit 30's that much. I have also heard people don't live the keyfit canopy. Is there a benefit to that fabric I'm not thinking about? Is it cooler in the summer or something? Easier to keep clean?? I am thinking of the green "surge" or the bright red one. They both have a nylon-y type fabric with a large weave texture.

I have to say I loved the fabric and sleekness of the new Peg Perego Primo Viaggio 4/35. I liked the ability to wrap the shoulder belt around the back for the baseless installation. I can't see DH wanting to spend $299 on the infant seat though, unless we knew it had awesome resale value or something.

bnsnyde

I totally changed plans. Bought Graco Click Connect 40! I love it so far!!! I am impressed, since I've seen some Gracos in the store that look really not so awesome.
I decided my priority is keeping baby it in as long as possible. Winter, you bet! My kids are crazy tall.

I did buy the Graco Elite stroller and it was a decent enough price.

It was between the Kiddyworld (which would give me 2 extra inches) but at $499 or something...for this last baby...not knowing if I even like the seat as it's only online...

I went with Graco. I also know they have decent customer service if needed.

Beloved

The Snugride 35 can have the shoulder belt around the back (European routing?). It would be an extra step for baseless install, but makes it seem more secure. It is a big seat, and in my Odyssey I had to have the captains chair all the way back for the seat-belt to be long enough.

My kids were big when born and my DS still fit at 2.5 (more than an inch above his head and under both weight and height limit) and my DD still does with lots of room at 20 months.

bnsnyde

According to the Snugride 40 it goes to 35 inches max.
My 20-month girl is already too tall!

So I know it won't REALLY last until age 2 like they say, especially since my boys are way taller than my girls! But it's the biggest I could find. I am sure we'll get our use out of it.

cookie123

I saw a preemie in one awhile back and it fit her like a glove!

Not that it matters now but both Griffin and Matthew were very sweaty in the KeyFit as tiny babies. And they were both winter babies.

aept

I saw a preemie in one awhile back and it fit her like a glove! Not that it matters now but both Griffin and Matthew were very sweaty in the KeyFit as tiny babies. And they were both winter babies.

It matters! ;)
I'm the OP and I'm still looking for an infant seat. Thanks for letting me know that about the keyfit. I was wondering about that fabric.
I am thinking the infant seat would be getting a fair amount of use this summer and that the baby might be sometimes napping in it at the (outdoor) pool this summer. Our pool club is very shaded so it's likely I'll try to find us a spot in the shade and I might lay her down for a nap in the stroller or carseat-in-stroller.

Carolinadaisy

I found the Keyfit fabric to be sweaty as well. I put my boys in the stroller to nap in summer if outside. More shade from the canopy and much bette airflow around baby so they stay cooler.

However, I did like the fabric of the Bokoo cover I used on the keyfit with DS2. Much cooler. I'm likely listing it for sale in the next few days as I just ordered a pretty red Bsafe35 for my baby girl.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC