Air Travel from CA to GA w/2 Toddlers

AllieK

In March of next year my family will be traveling from California to Georgia. I'm trying to sort out logistics now. We will get dropped off at the airport in the family vehicle, and we will be renting a minivan at the airport in GA. Here are my kids stats as of today: DD is 7 months old, 18lbs, 27", currently RF in a Britax Boulevard; DS is 2.5yrs old, 41lbs, 42", currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier 90.

1) Will our current car seats fit on the airplane? If not, are there cheaper, lighter options we can buy to travel with?

2) Any car seat laws I need to be aware of in GA that might differ from CA? I plan to use our seats the same way we do at home, unless local laws dictate otherwise.

3) Any tips for getting through TSA checkpoints, down narrow airplane aisles and through the airport with 2 toddlers and 2 car seats? :eek: Frankly, I am a little scared!

Last edited:
ADS

lgenne

I'm not sure about the Boulevard, but I would NOT want to travel with an FR90. Sure, the install is great, but it's a beast, both in terms of weight and size.

I would look at some cheaper, lighter harnessed seats for him. The Sureride, the Guide 65, Harmony Defender...I'm forgetting other options, I'm sure.

AllieK

I would NOT want to travel with an FR90. Sure, the install is great, but it's a beast, both in terms of weight and size.

Yes, it is pretty heavy! I was considering bringing it just for the ease of using the Click Tight installation on the plane and in the rental car.

We also have a Graco Nautilus we could bring but I think that is equally heavy and awkward.

lgenne

You can't use the Click Tight on the plane anyway. The buckle on the seat belt would be right in the middle of the CT. It has FAA approval, but you have to put the belt over the CT. Which I assume would leave the buckle in the middle of the occupant's back.

So you're talking about a lot of inconvenience for one easy install at your destination.

AllieK

Okay, good to know!

Now I am leaning more towards buying a Cosco HBB for DS (it has a harness) and a Cosco Scenera for DD. For less than $100 for both seats I could work that into our budget.

cantabdad

Now I am leaning more towards buying a Cosco HBB for DS (it has a harness) and a Cosco Scenera for DD. For less than $100 for both seats I could work that into our budget.

I agree with the general idea of getting inexpensive, lightweight carseats that will be good for travel. The specific issues I see with those two seats are that (1) the Cosco HBB (if we're talking about the same model) has a limit of 40 lbs. for harness mode, so it has already been outgrown; and (2) the Scenera, while otherwise great for travel, is usually described as being difficult to install RF, notably that it needs many pool noodles to achieve the correct angle.

If your spouse (or another capable adult) is coming on the trip with you, I'd probably just take your existing Britax Boulevard. Sure, it's heavy, but it's a known quantity and installation is so easy. (Speaking as a dad, one of the very few things that I am good at is carrying heavy things, so I don't object to doing so for the sake of a family vacation.)

For the older child, you might consider something like the Evenflo SecureKid, which is relatively inexpensive and lightweight but has a 65-lb. harnessed limit and also converts to a booster later.

On your other questions:

- Georgia carseat law doesn't seem to have anything unusual or that is inconsistent with your plans.

- I would not necessarily worry about the airport too much. You can search other posts where this was discussed, but also feel free to ask follow-up questions as you like. Everyone has their own strategy; personally I like to put the carseat(s) in an empty stroller to wheel them through the airport, then I gate-check the stroller. The younger kid gets carried and the older kid can walk the relatively short distance from curb to security to gate. We sometimes also have one parent board the plane at the earliest opportunity to get the carseat(s) installed while the other parent lets the kids get their energy out in the boarding area, boarding toward the end.

landers2929

Hi.

I have a boulevard (70), but was concerned that it might not fit on some airline seats and is significantly more difficult for me to carry than the roundabout (55). I use our roundabout for travel for the RF child. (Not sure if height/weight of child fits.).

I agree evenflo secure kid is nice for travel.

Good luck!

AllieK

Thanks, cantabdad, I didn't know that about the Cosco HBB.

I would hate to spend over $100 for a seat we will likely only use for travel.

Is the Evenflo Maestro an option for my son? What about using it for air travel? I like the price on that better than the Secure Kid.

cantabdad

Is the Evenflo Maestro an option for my son? What about using it for air travel? I like the price on that better than the Secure Kid.

Yes, that's a good option - it is lightweight and often mentioned as a good carseat for travel.

It only goes to 50 lbs. in harnessed mode, so that's one consideration (versus 65 lbs. for the SecureKid) but it also converts a booster so you may still get some use out of it later, e.g. as a spare for carpooling or travel.

You're not traveling till March -- and usually a 41-lb. kid will not be up to 50 lbs. only 6 months later -- but you may want to "wait and see" a bit until closer to your travel dates.

I believe Britax issued a clarification last year stating that the Frontier is approved for aircraft use (I don't the details - so someone please correct me if I am wrong). So if you're only planning this one trip and would prefer to save your money rather than buy new careseats, you could always use your existing carseats as long as you don't mind their bulk. Even something as big as the Frontier will fit on most planes.

AllieK

I'm no expert but according to our manual the Frontier 90 is approved for air travel when using the harness.

My next concern is fitting 2 car seats in the same row on the plane. According to my former flight attendant friend you cannot seat a person between car seats, they must be next to each other. Can anyone confirm this? I am not concerned about me or my husband not having enough room but I am concerned the seats won't fit if they have to be next to each other. I suppose the other option would be to have 1 car seat and 1 parent in one row and the other car seat and parent in another row, but I can hear the kids now - "But I want to sit next to mommy!" :(

cantabdad

Apparently certain vintages of the Frontier were not approved for aircraft use (even in harness mode) due to some sort of seatbelt incompatibility, but that was was later changed, and in any event doesn't seem to affect your model.

As to seating, carseats ordinarily go at the window to avoid impeding emegency egress. Some airlines will allow side by side carseats from the same family at the window & middle seat, with parent on the aisle. Carseats definitely can't go in the aisle seat. Is it 3x3 seating on your flights? Some folks prefer carseat-carseat-parent with the second parent across the aisle while others would do window-middle/window-middle in two adjacent rows. We prefer the former and have never had an airline prevent us from doing that-- but no guarantees on that since FAA gives airlines some leeway in policies regarding multiple carseats.

cantabdad

Also, I've never seen this written down anywhere, but if you have two carseats in the same row (window & middle) and one is RF, the airline will want the RF seat at the window. I've never done your exact combination of carseats, but even if you bring the Frontier, I think they will both fit since the seats will be facing opposite directions and won't have their widest parts next to each other.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC