Latch help 2005 chevy suburban

seb3244

Hello we are finally going to be getting a new (new to me) vehicle and I am looking at a 2005 chevy suburban.

My 1997 for f250 doesn't have latch and that drives me crazy because latch is much more convenient and easier than seat belt install.

I need to know if the 2005 Chevrolet suburban has latch but I'm not sure where to find out.

Is there like a latch list somewhere?
Also has anyone had any mechanical issues or things go wrong and a 2005 suburban?

Any help is appreciated thank you!

ADS

mommabritt

I don't know when the model hanged but I drive a 2006. I have LATCH in my middle row captains chairs and tether anchors behind those seats and the middle of the third row. I've not had any issues with any seats in my car. I can do a three across in the back easily, keeping in mind that the middle belt is a lap only and is only usable for a ff car seat. That is a pretty crappy thing.

Mechanically, the only things we've had to repair was the O2 sensor a few years ago. I'm sure I should have a high mileage tuneup done now that I'm at 130k. But it's runs perfectly and I'll dive it into the ground.

seb3244

I don't know when the model hanged but I drive a 2006. I have LATCH in my middle row captains chairs and tether anchors behind those seats and the middle of the third row. I've not had any issues with any seats in my car. I can do a three across in the back easily, keeping in mind that the middle belt is a lap only and is only usable for a ff car seat. That is a pretty crappy thing. Mechanically, the only things we've had to repair was the O2 sensor a few years ago. I'm sure I should have a high mileage tuneup done now that I'm at 130k. But it's runs perfectly and I'll dive it into the ground.

Thanks for this help. I think the 2006 might be a diff body style but still similar. With a lap belt you can easily install a rf convertible. I have done this in my truck. Only mentioning since you so you can only install forward facing seat. I'm really glad to hear that you like your suburban because makes me happy that I'm looking for one.

Hoping to find an eight passenger one so I have that bench on the middle row

mommabritt

Thanks for this help. I think the 2006 might be a diff body style but still similar. With a lap belt you can easily install a rf convertible. I have done this in my truck. Only mentioning since you so you can only install forward facing seat. I'm really glad to hear that you like your suburban because makes me happy that I'm looking for one. Hoping to find an eight passenger one so I have that bench on the middle row

I'm sorry, I said that bc only have ff'ers now. :) I see that it was confusing. I really wanted a bench middle too.

Kegracin

It says 05 with bench has 3 tether anchors on back of seats. Latch on passenger side. I should pull up the manual or find the one for my car but I'm running short on time. As it seems weird to only have latch in one spot I have buckets and latch in two places not that I used it often. I'm a seat belt installer). Eta I we have not had any major issues with my 03 she's been good to us but is getting old, and now needs some work.

Attachments

• image-924673053.jpg
    image-924673053.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 10

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
It does have 2 full sets of LATCH to meet the LATCH FMVSS requirement of 2 sets for most non-exempt passenger vehicles. :) The second row center column of the LATCH manual page cited above for the '03-'06 and '07-'13 Suburbans indicates all of those models have full LATCH in the second row center if equipped with second row bench seating, in addition to the full LATCH on the second row bench passenger side. If equipped with second row captain's chairs instead of second row bench seating, then each captain's chair has full LATCH.

J-max

CPST Instructor
I have had an 04 and 08. Both had bench seats in the center row, with LATCH on the passenger and center positions, and TT in all 3, as well as 1 TT in the third row. I have put many, many seats in several suburbans over the years, so if you have specific questions I am happy to help if I can!

seb3244

It says 05 with bench has 3 tether anchors on back of seats. Latch on passenger side. I should pull up the manual or find the one for my car but I'm running short on time. As it seems weird to only have latch in one spot I have buckets and latch in two places not that I used it often. I'm a seat belt installer). Eta I we have not had any major issues with my 03 she's been good to us but is getting old, and now needs some work.

Thanks so much I really appreciate this! What does it mean when (in the pic on the right side) it says that it shares latch with center seat?

Thank you for snapping that pic for me. Is this a car seat manual or a chevy manual?
Also may I ask why you say you're a seat belt installer and don't usually use latch?
Thanks

seb3244

The second row center column of the LATCH manual page cited above for the '03-'06 and '07-'13 Suburbans indicates all of those models have full LATCH in the second row center if equipped with second row bench seating, in addition to the full LATCH on the second row bench passenger side.

Jeanum this confuses me. So is the 2nd row the 1st back seat row? Or is it the last row they are talking about?
I read somewhere and have seen in pics while car shopping that if the 1st back seat row is a bench there are 3 latches. So does this mean there is only one latch in the 2nd back seat (very back) row?
Thanks and sorry if I am so confusing lol

seb3244

I have had an 04 and 08. Both had bench seats in the center row, with LATCH on the passenger and center positions, and TT in all 3, as well as 1 TT in the third row. I have put many, many seats in several suburbans over the years, so if you have specific questions I am happy to help if I can!

Perfect we will be test driving this weekend and I'll let you know if I have any questions

Thanks ladies!! I truly appreciate you replying!

Kegracin

Thanks so much I really appreciate this! What does it mean when (in the pic on the right side) it says that it shares latch with center seat? Thank you for snapping that pic for me. Is this a car seat manual or a chevy manual? Also may I ask why you say you're a seat belt installer and don't usually use latch? Thanks

I hardly ever find latch to be easier to install a seat. The only seat that I ever owned that I consistently used latch with was the marathon with the independent latch straps, and now my kids are to heavy for latch and in out other vehicle the latch is a pain to get too.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Jeanum this confuses me. So is the 2nd row the 1st back seat row? Or is it the last row they are talking about?
I read somewhere and have seen in pics while car shopping that if the 1st back seat row is a bench there are 3 latches. So does this mean there is only one latch in the 2nd back seat (very back) row?
Thanks and sorry if I am so confusing lol

Sorry to cause any confusion. Yes, the second row is the row right behind the front seats. It's second when you count the rows of vehicle seats from the front row to the back of the vehicle, where the front row is the first row, and so on. :) There are two full sets of LATCH (lower LATCH anchors plus top tether anchor) total in the 2003-2013 models, and the location/allowed usage of top tether anchors varies depending on model year/vehicle seating style in the second and third rows. One set of full LATCH (lower anchors plus top tether anchor) is on the passenger side and one set is in the center of the second row if it's a bench, plus there's a driver's side top tether anchor if the second row has bench seating. There are 2 full sets of LATCH, one in each second row captain's chair, if it has captain's chairs instead of second row bench seating. The 2003-2006 Suburban models have a third row center top tether anchor intended for use in the third row center only. In the 2007-2013 Suburban models, if the third row is a bench, then it has a top tether anchor for the third row center that can also be used for the third row driver's side instead of the third row center. If it's a 2007-2009 model with optional bucket style third row vehicle seats instead of third row bench seating, then it has a top tether for the third row driver's side only. This info. is all from the LATCH manual page for 2003-2013 Suburbans that Kegracin helpfully posted above.:)

seb3244

Sorry to cause any confusion. Yes, the second row is the row right behind the front seats. It's second when you count the rows of vehicle seats from the front row to the back of the vehicle, where the front row is the first row, and so on. :) There are two full sets of LATCH (lower LATCH anchors plus top tether anchor) total in the 2003-2013 models, and the location/allowed usage of top tether anchors varies depending on model year/vehicle seating style in the second and third rows. One set of full LATCH (lower anchors plus top tether anchor) is on the passenger side and one set is in the center of the second row if it's a bench, plus there's a driver's side top tether anchor if the second row has bench seating. There are 2 full sets of LATCH, one in each second row captain's chair, if it has captain's chairs instead of second row bench seating. The 2003-2006 Suburban models have a third row center top tether anchor intended for use in the third row center only. In the 2007-2013 Suburban models, if the third row is a bench, then it has a top tether anchor for the third row center that can also be used for the third row driver's side instead of the third row center. If it's a 2007-2009 model with optional bucket style third row vehicle seats instead of third row bench seating, then it has a top tether for the third row driver's side only. This info. is all from the LATCH manual page for 2003-2013 Suburbans that Kegracin helpfully posted above.:)

Wow thanks so much for telling me all this and for clarifying! It is crazy to me that not all seats have latch or top tether anchor because people that drive minivans or suburban's usually have children and babies in car seats. This really limits where I can put my nieces in the car since they are forward facing and need top tether.

I will have 2 forward facers (for my nieces & I'm not sure which seats I will get them yet)
& they will be in the 3rd row ages 7 & 4.5
& then my two nuggets 26 months and 3 months both rear facing in the 2nd row.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC