Input on these 2 models?

KatieMB

Okay, we are going to try to look at these three vehicles this weekend. Any thoughts, suggestions input on 08 vs 2013? The 2013’s are really a bit above what I want to pay right now but I’ve got my Dad & husband pushing for one of those. The 2008 has had 2 owners, the 2013’s were both rental cars. No accidents on any.

2008 Toyota Sienna CE V6, Beige $11,990 82k miles

2013 Toyota Sienna L V6, Salsa Red Pearl $17,750 52k miles

2013 Toyota Sienna L V6, Silver $18,000 54k miles Obviously those are dealer prices and we will haggle.

ADS

DawgDad

For me I would stay away from all rental cars. Plus, the newer Sienna's removed top tethers from 5 down to 3 in their car making it a little more difficult to install car seats everywhere in the vehicle. I personally like the styling MUCH better in the newer generation, but the older one was supposedly their better for carseats model.

tl01

I would go for an older Sienna or the current generation Odyssey. Having owned a 2012 Sienna and 4 Odysseys.. 2011 and newer... I can't say enough about the odyssey vs. the Sienna. The day I got rid of the Sienna was quite a happy one! I can go into more detail but just the car seat situation and the usability of the seats is enough of a reason not to get the Sienna. For 2015 they finally added another tether.

KatieMB

I would go for an older Sienna or the current generation Odyssey. Having owned a 2012 Sienna and 4 Odysseys.. 2011 and newer... I can't say enough about the odyssey vs. the Sienna. The day I got rid of the Sienna was quite a happy one! I can go into more detail but just the car seat situation and the usability of the seats is enough of a reason not to get the Sienna. For 2015 they finally added another tether.

Where are the tethers located on the newer Siennas?

Dillipop

Where are the tethers located on the newer Siennas?

For a seven seater, the older models had tethers in both captains chairs and then on passenger outboard and center of the rear bench. Current 7 sweaters have both captains chairs and center of the third row.

KatieMB

For a seven seater, the older models had tethers in both captains chairs and then on passenger outboard and center of the rear bench. Current 7 sweaters have both captains chairs and center of the third row.
. Gotcha.

I only have 1 FF seat to install that requires that rear tether. And, even he is small enough (at 4 1/2) to RF in the Radian. There is almost 5 years between child 2 and child 3. I would never want the three of them all grouped together for a long car ride, but if I did need three in the back row at once I could put:

7 year old in NBB and RF 3rd child outboard. FF 4 year old center, yes?

It is a consideration, for sure. But, I also don't have three TINY ones. They are 17, 7 1/2, 4 1/2, and one tiny.

I'd like to keep this vehicle 10+ years, the way I have my Matrix.

Though, I'm still not sold on going above what I wanted to pay, either.

KatieMB

So, the 2013's were nice, but out of our price range. And while I'd consider a rental, 52k in a year and a half is excessive.

I test drove a 2008 too and it drove just as nice as the 13. It had 4 top tethers by the way, not 5. it was the top model so $$$. Going to look at a CE with 82k miles Sat that is more in our price range. Anything I should know about the 2008?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
A 2008 does have 5 tether anchors. The fifth is across the trunk on the sill. :)

Don't buy a 2008 unless the transmission has been rebuilt or replaced already. Be prepared for the power door motors to die at about 100,000 miles.

KatieMB

No... I confused your thread with the Odyssey one. Sorry :eek: Disregard...

Oh thank God. I was all DAMN IT TO HECK!!! We sorta sold DH's car faster than I anticipated so we need to find a car ASAP.

Meanwhile I just read about a bunch of issues that the 2003 Matrix has had. I'm at 144k and going strong. Crossing my fingers!!!!

KatieMB

I swear the 08' feels roomier than the 13' too, but I looked up the overall cubic feet and they are just about identical. I did like the feel, layout, and features better in the 08' than the 13' though. DH refuses to believe me, but I'll show him on Sat :)

Dillipop

A 2008 does have 5 tether anchors. The fifth is across the trunk on the sill. :) Don't buy a 2008 unless the transmission has been rebuilt or replaced already. Be prepared for the power door motors to die at about 100,000 miles.

Just to clarify- the 2008 has 4 anchors in the 7 seater. It has 5 anchors in the 8 seater. The anchors on the sill are cargo hooks, not tether anchors. There is no anchor for the outboard third row drivers side.

KatieMB

Just to clarify- the 2008 has 4 anchors in the 7 seater. It has 5 anchors in the 8 seater. The anchors on the sill are cargo hooks, not tether anchors. There is no anchor for the outboard third row drivers side.

That is exactly what I saw when I looked at it. We really are fine with one rear tether right now, as we have one kid in a booster, one RF, and only one FF in a 5pt. And, he will likely go in the captains chair in the 2nd row. But, put any nieces or nephews in the car and it could get complicated.

KatieMB

The 2013's were driven hard, we could tell.

We looked at two 08's today, one was banged up and the other was really clean. The banged up one had the 8 seats, which I like the idea of, but it makes it difficult to access the third row.

So... we bought the other one and it is VERY clean. :)

DawgDad

The 2013's were driven hard, we could tell.

We looked at two 08's today, one was banged up and the other was really clean. The banged up one had the 8 seats, which I like the idea of, but it makes it difficult to access the third row.

So... we bought the other one and it is VERY clean. :)

That's what I thought. Rental cars are just driven rough...and depending on the rental agency, not kept up with really well. I think you made the better choice. Congrats!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC