Pediatrician's hand out said RF until 17-20lbs :(

brightredmtn

I just found a hand out that we got almost a year and a half ago from my DS's 2 week check that said to RF until your baby reaches 17-20 lbs. Not even to wait a year! Yikes! I guess I was too out of it having a two week old baby to have really noticed back then.

The doctor is really great about other things so I want to send him an email to see if he will change this hand out. If there is anyone in your life to trust it should be your pediatrician's advice, he needs to change this. Will you guys help me figure out what to write to him? Obviously firstly that it's illegal in California to FF until at least 20lbs and one year (it is illegal here right?) What else? I know the benefits of extended RF but I know you guys can put it into words so much better than me.

Thanks!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Nope, not illegal there. Especially in a Britax, which has no minimum FF age... Cosco's do, others might as well (in which case it is illegal under the 'proper use' clause, but is still not a law, per se). Still, 17-20? Sounds awfully outdated! I agree, go straight to the AAP paper.

:)

brightredmtn

This is what I wrote. Thanks ladies!

In packing I found a hand out from your office given to us at our two week check. Among other things it said to keep your baby rear facing in their car seat until they reach 17-20lbs.

I know that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendation is:

Children should face the rear of the vehicle until they are at least 1 year of age and weigh at least 20 lb to decrease the risk of cervical spine injury in the event of a crash. Infants who weigh 20 lb before 1 year of age should ride rear facing in a convertible seat or infant seat approved for higher weights until at least 1 year of age. If a car safety seat accommodates children rear facing to higher weights, for optimal protection, the child should remain rear facing until reaching the maximum weight for the car safety seat, as long as the top of the head is below the top of the seat back.

This is from:

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;109/3/550

Car seat safety has become very important to me as I am studying to become a car seat technician. I remember that at every appointment you asked if we were still using a car seat and I very much appreciated you checking! I just wanted to pass this info along so that hopefully you can update your hand outs.

Hope you and your family are well,

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
What you wrote is great. Perhaps highlighting or bolding the section about RF to the limits of the seat would be helpful.

Nice job!

jdchic3

Nope, not illegal there. Especially in a Britax, which has no minimum FF age... Cosco's do, others might as well (in which case it is illegal under the 'proper use' clause, but is still not a law, per se). Still, 17-20? Sounds awfully outdated! I agree, go straight to the AAP paper.

:)

It's not illegal under the proper use clause but it IS illegal according to state law. Will try to find the link...

jdchic3

That is the same thing I found last night but I couldn't find anything in it about rear facing seats. It's all about boosters and riding in the back seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC