Question Purchasing a van

KatieMB

I was so not expecting to sell our Accord in 12 hours, but we basically have. We need to go get the title from the bank (pay off the $1400 we owe) and get emissions done and we are signing it over on Sat.

I've been searching the internet for vans and I think we've settled on a Sienna. But, we need to move fast because we are going to be short a vehicle!!! Making sure RF in the captains chairs is viable. I plan on the 17 yr old and 7 year old in the 3rd row (7 year old is in a booster, can buckle himself). 4 year old and newbie (due 10/31) in the captains chairs in Radians.

The vans I've got inquiries on are all base models: 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2013. The 2013 is at the VERY top of our range so the others are more likely. Anything I should know? 2007 is when they switched to a chain on the v6 models, yes?

ADS

Dillipop

2007 is the year they switched to the chain. We have a 2008 8 passenger LE that we've been very happy with for the past 3 years. We just got our power sliding door fixed, which was starting to cause problems, but it was covered under a warranty that toyota extended to cover it up to 120k miles. That's the only thing we've had to fix on it since we've owned it.

I love how flexible it is for us. I watched 4 kids this summer with my 3 kids and was able to get all of them in the van safely with minimal effort the couple times we had to go somewhere. I think you'll be happy with whatever you end up with!

KatieMB

Fantastic. We've had my Toyota Matrix for 12 years, so I hope we are as happy with a Toyota van as we have been with my car.

DawgDad

I would suggest driving a Sienna first before you buy it. As an Accord owner for a while, Toyota's drive a lot different than Honda. They are smoother on the handling (it doesn't feel as sporty), have a little more body roll, and are quieter on the revs compared to Honda. If you like that feel, then you need to try an Odyssey as well. If the Accord always bothered you, then you will like the Toyota. Since you are looking at base models, each manufacture have a different interpretation of what is "base"...so it's going to be a little confusing/frustrating. The LX is the base on the Honda, but it comes standard with more features and has very little you add on before you just move into the next trim. Toyota has less base features, but most owners added some nice add-ons that you don't have to jump into another trim to have like you do with Honda. So, you might find some hidden gems that have a auto-dimming rear-view mirror, back-up camera, and/or even a rear-DVD entertainment center. It's rare, but they exist.

In the end, you have to do yourself a favor and drive them...simulate your daily life in one (bring the car seat, stroller, etc) and see how you like folding the seats up and down or accessing the 3rd row.

Good luck and keep us posted! It's a good time of the year to be buying...sales start to slow in September before new product hits the show room typically in October/November.

KatieMB

I would suggest driving a Sienna first before you buy it. As an Accord owner for a while, Toyota's drive a lot different than Honda. They are smoother on the handling (it doesn't feel as sporty), have a little more body roll, and are quieter on the revs compared to Honda. If you like that feel, then you need to try an Odyssey as well. If the Accord always bothered you, then you will like the Toyota. Since you are looking at base models, each manufacture have a different interpretation of what is "base"...so it's going to be a little confusing/frustrating. The LX is the base on the Honda, but it comes standard with more features and has very little you add on before you just move into the next trim. Toyota has less base features, but most owners added some nice add-ons that you don't have to jump into another trim to have like you do with Honda. So, you might find some hidden gems that have a auto-dimming rear-view mirror, back-up camera, and/or even a rear-DVD entertainment center. It's rare, but they exist. In the end, you have to do yourself a favor and drive them...simulate your daily life in one (bring the car seat, stroller, etc) and see how you like folding the seats up and down or accessing the 3rd row. Good luck and keep us posted! It's a good time of the year to be buying...sales start to slow in September before new product hits the show room typically in October/November.

I'm going to go Thursday to test drive, but my car is actually the Toyota Matrix. DH drives 60mikes round trip (I drive 10) so he is taking the Matrix and the van is mine. Before the Honda he had a 2003 Camry and we both preferred the feel of that car, but the looks of the Honda. We went with Sienna because we do seem to lean Toyota I everything else. Toyota seem much more substantial.

DawgDad

I'm going to go Thursday to test drive, but my car is actually the Toyota Matrix. DH drives 60mikes round trip (I drive 10) so he is taking the Matrix and the van is mine. Before the Honda he had a 2003 Camry and we both preferred the feel of that car, but the looks of the Honda. We went with Sienna because we do seem to lean Toyota I everything else. Toyota seem much more substantial.

That's perfectly reasonable. Like I said, they drive differently. And at the model series you are looking at, it shows off the Toyota better than their current generation, especially when you compare it to the Honda generation series to generation series. Let us know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC