Honda Odyssey '06-'10 vs. '11+ decision help pls!

aquamama

We definitely are going to buy a used Honda Odyssey. We know which feature we want, and will probably get an EX-L. (I've already seen here that we should skip a Touring unless de-PAXed, '06 and up for 5 tethers, budget for timing belt replacement - thanks!) We've been leaning towards an '06-'10. But I have two questions.

Firstly, does it seem like a good strategy to get a used car that already has 85-125K miles on it, if I don't put many miles on my car myself? We have salt on the roads here in the winter, and I don't know if we'd benefit from getting an older vehicle with low mileage. We're (too) frugal, and I'd like to spend about $13,000, but really we could spend up to about $25,000. (We've seen 2 lately: both EX-L w/ DVD: '06, 98K miles for $13K and '09, 54K miles for $20K.) Thoughts?

Secondly, we want to put two rear-facing seats in the 2nd row and still have 3rd row access that grandparents can navigate. Which is better: the earlier scheme where you can take out the middle (8th) seat in the 2nd row and move over one captain's chair to allow for an aisle, or the '11+ where wide mode allows you to put one car seat on the side, on in the 8th, middle seat, and then people can still easily get into the 3rd row AND an adult can sit in one of the two captain's chairs in the 2nd row? I've heard that putting a rear-facing car seat in that 8th seat isn't safe, but I have no idea if that is true.

Thanks!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd go with a newer one just because of the transmission and automatic door issues, and the greater flexibility of the new setup vs the plus one in the older ones (which has an annoying belt geometry if an adult does ride in it.)

aquamama

Thanks for the input. We haven't done any research on issues for certain years of the vehicle. :/ I'll take your word that there are transmission and automatic door issues, and if we do decide to look at '11+ I'll hope those issues help convince us to spend the extra $$$ !

I should add that we have a Diono Radian for our 2 1/2 year old and we may get another for our second child, unless I find a better seat for her (she's already 39" tall) and put the 4 month old in the radian.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
FYI, I've never gotten an install of a rear-facing Radian in any position but third row outboard that I was happy with- and it's difficult there, though can be done.

aquamama

FYI, I've never gotten an install of a rear-facing Radian in any position but third row outboard that I was happy with- and it's difficult there, though can be done.

Yikes, that's good to know! Can you say why exactly? We're about to take the car seat to the dealer to try the Radian in the '06 or '09, so it'd be much appreciated. Also, we'll soon be buying a new convertible seat, so if you'd recommend another over the Radian for the Odyssey, please let me know. :)

lgenne

I have a great RF LATCH install on a Radian in a captain's chair right now in our '13. If you want something to go in the +1 seat, don't get another Radian, though. There are plenty of other options that work well there.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In the center positions it doesn't work well with the two piece belt.

In the second row outboard, it overreclined once a child was in it and with the angle adjuster the amount of contact with the seat seems unsatisfactory.

Third row it does well braced on the second row seats, but is difficult.

It does great forward facing in the second row, though.

aquamama

Thanks for the link, lgenne. Are you using the angle adjuster with your Radian? Is it braced against the driver's seat?

Here's another thing a friend just pointed out to me. If you can't use the seat belt to install a car seat in the captain's chair in the earlier models once it is moved over to make an aisle, how does an adult sit there even?

Last edited:

DawgDad

I would opt for the newer generation model series '11+. The new '15's are coming out next month, so inventory might spike and you might find a good deal on one in a month or two. The wide-mode is just so nice and we have safely installed our infant carrier in the middle seat (Britax B-Safe) along with a Britax Boulevard (2008 model series) and the replacement seat which is a FF Recaro Performance Sport. We have since moved the little man back to the 3rd row (he is the only boy in the family) with his big sister so the baby can stop being attacked when she is napping on longer rides. LOVE having the ability for my wife to sit next to her in the middle row...you lose that if you do the "remove the 8th seat" in the '06-'10 series...plus the seat belt is weird like ketchupqueen mentioned since it's on the car wall/roof and not the seat.

We have owned a 2009, 2012, and now a 2014...we moved up in trim every time. Started with an EX-L w/ REC, then a Touring, and now the Touring Elite. We also don't lease...it's just that everytime Honda would improve the van to do the things we really wanted or added safety/convenience like they have in the new model. Also didn't hurt we went down on our monthly payment everytime we traded and the new ad valorem laws allowed us to pay all of our sales tax on the car upfront instead of $500+ every year when we needed a new tag. I love the new '14 Elite...seriously the best car I have owned.

Also, you asked about a new convertible. I would definitely look at the new click-tight Britax Marathon/Boulevard/Advocate line-up. They are available after 10/6...it seemed to get pretty great reviews from the editors here when they saw it and got to play around with the install. Plus, I think it's a 10 year expiration (I may be mistaken). We will be picking up one soon as our 16 lb 4 month old baby is getting quite large in the infant carrier.

aquamama

I would opt for the newer generation model series '11+. The new '15's are coming out next month, so inventory might spike and you might find a good deal on one in a month or two. The wide-mode is just so nice and we have safely installed our infant carrier in the middle seat (Britax B-Safe) along with a Britax Boulevard (2008 model series) and the replacement seat which is a FF Recaro Performance Sport. We have since moved the little man back to the 3rd row (he is the only boy in the family) with his big sister so the baby can stop being attacked when she is napping on longer rides. LOVE having the ability for my wife to sit next to her in the middle row...you lose that if you do the "remove the 8th seat" in the '06-'10 series...plus the seat belt is weird like ketchupqueen mentioned since it's on the car wall/roof and not the seat.

Thanks. Yeah, we're leaning towards an EX or EX-L '11+. It just seems like the only option where we'll definitely be able to get grandparents (in their late 60s and mid 70s...the 90 year old can ride up front!) into the 3rd row - meaning, we can either fold the captain's chair forward or remove it completely. Also, we'd be able to have 2 car seats in the second row and an adult next to them, as you noted. And we can leave them there longer, as that 8th seat can do a RF seat belt install.

We're super frugal though, and we were loving the idea of paying $14,000 for a safe ride. So, if we'll now be paying $25,000 for it, you do think we'll get the value out of it, either by driving this vehicle longer or by its resale value, right?

Also, you asked about a new convertible. I would definitely look at the new click-tight Britax Marathon/Boulevard/Advocate line-up. They are available after 10/6...it seemed to get pretty great reviews from the editors here when they saw it and got to play around with the install. Plus, I think it's a 10 year expiration (I may be mistaken). We will be picking up one soon as our 16 lb 4 month old baby is getting quite large in the infant carrier.

Hah! This last line amused me because our 4 month old boy is 21 1/2 lbs (biggest BF baby our Dr's seen!). I'm afraid we might no be able to wait a month or two for the van, b/c we need it to fit the new seat that'll replace the infant seat (ours goes to 30 lbs but I can't see him making it that long).

I've heard (probably should look around here some more) that RF is safest up to 5 years old. So I estimated that my daughter could be 45 lbs and 46 1/2 inches (if she gained 5 lbs and 3" per year) by 5 years old. The Diono goes to 45 lb and 44" (and we already have that one, though it doesn't fit the jump seat). The Foonf 50 lb and 43". The Nextfit 40 and 50". The Britax (new) 40 and 49". I'd love to do one of the latter for height, but I think she (or our baby) might max out the weight too soon. BTW, I think the new gen Dionos have a 12 year exp.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
4 is the best practice recommendation as an age to quit extraordinary measures to rf. :) remember that almost all seats will be outgrown by shell height before the stated limits by most kids.

DawgDad

Thanks. Yeah, we're leaning towards an EX or EX-L '11+. It just seems like the only option where we'll definitely be able to get grandparents (in their late 60s and mid 70s...the 90 year old can ride up front!) into the 3rd row - meaning, we can either fold the captain's chair forward or remove it completely. Also, we'd be able to have 2 car seats in the second row and an adult next to them, as you noted. And we can leave them there longer, as that 8th seat can do a RF seat belt install.

We're super frugal though, and we were loving the idea of paying $14,000 for a safe ride. So, if we'll now be paying $25,000 for it, you do think we'll get the value out of it, either by driving this vehicle longer or by its resale value, right?

Yes and yes. First off, the Honda Odyssey has a stupid and ridiculously good resale value. What 7 year old car out there can hold it's value from a $28k car brand new to still selling for $16-18k? That's insane. And there is a low stock of them given how many they sell each year because people don't sell them (unless they upgrade to a newer version). Also, seating because of how you can configure the seats and put a car seat virtually anywhere, you can have room for the grandparents (plus the comfort of getting into the second row would be much better for them).

This last line amused me because our 4 month old boy is 21 1/2 lbs (biggest BF baby our Dr's seen!).

JEEZ!! My daughter is in the 92nd percentile for weight (she just turned 4 months this past Saturday), so you would think that is pretty big, but 5 1/2 more pounds?

I've heard (probably should look around here some more) that RF is safest up to 5 years old. So I estimated that my daughter could be 45 lbs and 46 1/2 inches (if she gained 5 lbs and 3" per year) by 5 years old. The Diono goes to 45 lb and 44" (and we already have that one, though it doesn't fit the jump seat). The Foonf 50 lb and 43". The Nextfit 40 and 50". The Britax (new) 40 and 49". I'd love to do one of the latter for height, but I think she (or our baby) might max out the weight too soon. BTW, I think the new gen Dionos have a 12 year exp.

Four years old is the goal for everyone, but it's hard to live up to that long because most kids spec out of most car seats. I would definitely advise going with whatever car seat manufacturers recommend and stick with that for RF. Sure most can last a good long time (I think the new Britax goes to 45lbs RF, but I am probably confusing it), but if your daughter (and son) both are super fast growers for their age, then flex accordingly to your car seat needs for that child (just as you do with clothes). Also, are they mostly all leg, torso, or a good mix? That weighs in on how they fit in car seats...

aquamama

And there is a low stock of them given how many they sell each year because people don't sell them (unless they upgrade to a newer version).

We are finding that, we haven't seen one we really want yet. We'd like to buy one soon, but it looks like we might have to wait until the new model year comes out, like you mentioned.

Also, are they mostly all leg, torso, or a good mix? That weighs in on how they fit in car seats...

Good point. I'm going to measure how much room my daughter has to grow soon when she's actually in her Radian.

aquamama

Angle adjuster: yes. Bracing: no.

Another question: is it tethered? I'm supposed to talk to someone at Diono tomorrow about how to install the Radian in the Odyssey's captain's chairs.

I'm concerned if it can't be tethered that it'll be moving all over the place, especially with the angle adjuster. We intend to use LATCH, by the way.

aquamama

We went out tonight and bought a '09 EX-L w/ DVD (that we looked at before). Good fit for us, features and price. Thanks for all the advice!!!!

Now I'm going to have to figure out how to properly install the Radian and which new one I want to buy. :)

DawgDad

We went out tonight and bought a '09 EX-L w/ DVD (that we looked at before). Good fit for us, features and price. Thanks for all the advice!!!!

Now I'm going to have to figure out how to properly install the Radian and which new one I want to buy. :)

That was our first foray into van ownership...we had a grey one. Great car...enjoy!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC