Question Single cab truck and an infant seat?

naanaamoreno

My cousin has to buy a new truck and all he can afford is a single cab. He has a child RF in an infant seat and another child in a HBB. What are the risks of having the infant in the front seat? Air bags I know but anything else? If the airbags can be turned off does that make it safe? Thank you for your help!

ADS

1mommy

As long as the airbag can be turned off with a key it is safe for a rear-facing infant seat to be installed in the front seat. Do not rely on any "smart" sensor but it needs to be a physical key you turn.

Technically the safest place in the car is the furthest away from the point of impact in an accident, so therefore if he had a backseat it would be safER to install it there, but without a back seat and an airbag off seat it is safe and allowed by law. Double check with the owners manual that they allow seats to be installed but it should be allowed.

here is some more info about putting a rear facing seat in the front:
http://www.carseat.se/rearfacing/position-in-vehicle/front-seat-safety/

jess71903

Ambassador
I agree with the above. What would concern me is trying to get both seats in the truck together. If it's not brand new, chances are the center seat won't have a shoulder belt, and if it does, it will have a short seatback (flip up arm rest?). He would need to make sure the booster being used didn't need head support.

I would be wary of putting the infant in the middle seat because many time, the driver air bag can cover the middle seat, too. I'd definitely look into that before purchase.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC