Small vent: Why does Chicco use crappy paper based stickers?

aporthole

On our KeyFit all the stickers turned super brittle and started crumbling off after less than 3 years.

Our NextFit is 9 months old and the sticker around the bubble leveler is already peeling off and brittle. Many of the other stickers have pucker lines where you can tell they will crack any day now.

Neither were ever picked at and the stickers came off in areas comelpletely inaccessible to little hands. Even the ones on top of the KeyFit base fell off.

Britax uses really nice plastic based stickers that never seem to bubble, crack or peel. All the stickers on our 5 year old Boulevard still look great.

I remember there being some line in FMVSS 213 about labels needing to be permanently affixed to the restraint or something along those lines. I even contacted Chicco at one point requesting new stickers for our KeyFit since they had all fallen off with only half its lifespan used. They told me the FMVSS requirement is only that the labels be affixed when the consumer purchases it and tough luck on anything after that point. They also said they could not send me new stickers.

It's just frustrating that an extremely well maintained seat is loosing its stickers after less than a year of use. I haven't tried contacting Chicco about the NextFit but honestly I want to report it to NHTSA as it seems like a defect considering the labels are a requirement at least at the time of sale.

ADS
I know exactly what you mean. I've actually had the same problem with some of my SnugRides. It's annoying to say the least, because I usually pass my seats down with 4+ years remaining on many of them. On every SR I've ever had the stickers on the side of the bucket are cracked and/or peeling by the 2nd year. I want those stickers there because when I pass the seat down they provide pertinent info to the user that they may not otherwise know.

tjham

I've had this problem on a few seats, although I don't remember the brands. As soon as I noticed there was going to be a problem, I covered them with clear good quality 3 inch wide tape (not just average packing tape). They lasted til expiration after doing that. But the companies absolutely should fix the issue!

rachelandtyke

I've retired 3 seats due to expiration. The Boulevard's stickers are as good as new, the SnugRide's stickers were a little bubbly, but still intact, and the Keyfit's stickers were completely off.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I joke with parents that Chicco uses 3M glue on their stickers and to NOT encourage the stickers to come off in any way.

Twenty minutes after I told one family this, the "LATCH storage here" sticker literally jumped off when no one was touching it and landed on the backseat.

Wendy

rachelandtyke

I don't understand why Chicco won't send new ones? I contacted them about it before I was flying with the seat as the one that says it is approved for airplane use was off, but they wouldn't even then. Fortunately, no one required to see it (and I took the manual JIC, but I know some flight attendants will argue if the sticker is missing).

katymyers

My friend brought her twins home in Keyfits less than a year ago from the NICU and the stickers on both seats are already toast. Meanwhile our old Snugride 32 that I used for both my boys and as a backup for Ella, then passed down to a friend for his baby, expires the end of this year and still has all of its stickers and they're perfectly legible. That seat has been used for four different babies, all but one for longer than a year, been used in summer in El Paso, TX, winter in Idaho, literally in dozens of different vehicles, I've washed the shell with baby soap and water more times than I could count, and it's still good. Not to mention all my Britax seats which are now 1.5-2.5 years old and have stickers that look brand new.

Cnidaria

Yeah, it's so weird. I don't like the ugly-looking bubbled Chicco stickers or the easily-falling-off stickers either. They should really rethink that aspect of their product. The Keyfit is so great and well-thought-out in nearly every other way!

thepote

I got new stickers for my Radian XT because they all fell off. It was one of those that were originally 35 lbs rf and then went to a retroactive 40lbs rf. The stickers they sent me said rf to 45 lbs :eek:

My sad story about that seat, though... The seat accidentally got left on the porch last week and became a cat toilet... Soaked straps and all. Bagged the seat with two years left on it and tossed it :crying:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC