Meaningless Dorel Whine

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I know it doesn't do any good to whine about it, but I'm going to anyway.

I am so frustrated that Dorel puts all their most adorable designs on their cheapest, lowest-capacity seats.

I have a perfectly good infant bucket to use for new squish, but if Dorel would make THIS in an Onboard Air + I would go out and buy a brand new one. (This or the Mickey pattern which is equally cute, pending results of next ultrasound).

CS-843_1z.jpg

Likewise if they would turn this one into a Complete Air or, better yet, a Pria.

resource.ashx

Seriously. You pay Disney royalties to make the most freakishly adorable car seats, and then only sell the patterns on your cheapest seats? WHY?

/WHINE

ADS

katymyers

I hear you, we bought a Cosco umbrella stroller at a Walmart for $15 just as a temporary while we were out of town at a family reunion. It's Minnie Mouse, pink polka dots, and has mouse ears and a bow on the canopy. So.Freaking.Cute.It.Isn't.Funny! But OMG does that stroller suck! I'm not even that much of a stroller snob and using it for five minutes makes me want to just throw it in front of a truck. The worst part is the kids all love it and beg for me to use it so I have to listen to them whine and cry each time I put one if them in a stroller because I refuse to use it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You likely answered your own question- probably the royalties. By paying the royalties, to make a decent profit they need to sell more volume, and their cheap seats sell more...

But yeah, I want that Apt but, you know, on a tall seat. *grumble*

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I personally like that they make such cute covers for the cheap convertibles. It makes it that much easier to talk parents out of buying the Cisco High Back Booster for their 9 month olds.

rosey2007

I hear you, we bought a Cosco umbrella stroller at a Walmart for $15 just as a temporary while we were out of town at a family reunion. It's Minnie Mouse, pink polka dots, and has mouse ears and a bow on the canopy. So.Freaking.Cute.It.Isn't.Funny! But OMG does that stroller suck! I'm not even that much of a stroller snob and using it for five minutes makes me want to just throw it in front of a truck. The worst part is the kids all love it and beg for me to use it so I have to listen to them whine and cry each time I put one if them in a stroller because I refuse to use it.

I had a Pooh Bear cosco stroller and omg what a pitb to use. I had a better stroller but it was a huge beast to use on the city bus. I remember trying to use the cosco stroller on newly waxed store floors. Yea the front wheels would just spin.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I personally like that they make such cute covers for the cheap convertibles. It makes it that much easier to talk parents out of buying the Cisco High Back Booster for their 9 month olds.

True, and I have no issue with low cost seats being cute.

But throw us an adorable AND long-lasting seat now and then, huh? :)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
You likely answered your own question- probably the royalties. By paying the royalties, to make a decent profit they need to sell more volume, and their cheap seats sell more... But yeah, I want that Apt but, you know, on a tall seat. *grumble*

I wonder whether they'd have to do all new royalties to put the same design (more or less) on more than one seat.

Like, if they're doing an APT in Mickey fabric would they have to pay double to also stick it on a CA?

My dd LOVES Minnie but is right at the top height limit for all the Safety 1st harnesses anyway. But still. I guess if she still loves Minnie in a couple years I'll get her the Disney Pronto.

katymyers

I had a Pooh Bear cosco stroller and omg what a pitb to use. I had a better stroller but it was a huge beast to use on the city bus. I remember trying to use the cosco stroller on newly waxed store floors. Yea the front wheels would just spin.
That's funny you mention the wheels, our malls has smooth tile floors throughout the whole thing and the ONE time I used that thing at the mall it was a disaster because the stupid foam 'tires' wouldn't even grip the floor enough to turn. It does the same thing on the wood floors in our house. You can still push it but the wheels aren't turning so the stroller is basically a sled. The only thing it does ok on is flat concrete or paving with no bumps or cracks and only if you're going in a straight line.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I wonder whether they'd have to do all new royalties to put the same design (more or less) on more than one seat.

Like, if they're doing an APT in Mickey fabric would they have to pay double to also stick it on a CA?

My dd LOVES Minnie but is right at the top height limit for all the Safety 1st harnesses anyway. But still. I guess if she still loves Minnie in a couple years I'll get her the Disney Pronto.

Usually the way licensing deals work is that a contract is signed for either a specific monetary amount or a specific amount plus a percentage to make a certain number of a certain specific design. They either have a contract listing all the things they are going to do (two rfo seats, two convertibles, two boosters, two strollers) or an individual contact for each design (less common.) A licensing agreement usually includes specifics of what it will be used on, decided in advance. (At least, the deals i've been privy to have worked that way. I'm assuming it's the same for car seats.)

2BunniesMommy

Oh man, those are cute! Is the infant seat at least front adjust? If I have another kiddo, I would want a lower capacity infant seat because we don't use them for long anyway so no need for a heavy seat.

Ali

I completely understand! My nephew turned 1 yesterday and LOVES everything Mickey Mouse. I did buy him the Mickey Apt just for it's cuteness. I've used it in my car and DH's. It is currently in my living room, but eventually will be in my mom's car for when she has him. I do wish other companies made cuter covers for seats. I loved when the MA had so many options.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Oh man, those are cute! Is the infant seat at least front adjust? If I have another kiddo, I would want a lower capacity infant seat because we don't use them for long anyway so no need for a heavy seat.

I'm about 90% sure it is front adjust because it is the Luxe model. But I can't get on Dorel's website to confirm.

jwilliams

You could get your mouse fix with one of these Madame GooGoo carriers... weren't you looking to buy a new one? I think they're adorable.

ForumRunner_20140906_222825.png

bnsnyde

There is Disney baby something on a low back in todays' ad. Not sure which company. But Disney baby??? it's minnie but the ad actually says the word baby. Low back??!! Or Cars for a boy.

There is Disney baby something on a low back in todays' ad. Not sure which company. But Disney baby??? it's minnie but the ad actually says the word baby. Low back??!! Or Cars for a boy.
IME the Cars Movie theme is, in many cases, long outgrown by the time the child is ready for a backless. I try for 7-8 for backless boosters. I wish they'd do a Minecraft backless.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC