HBB recommendation for big 6 y/o

lourdes

Friend has a big 6 y/o boy and has outgrown his Maestro, she wants to keep him in a high back if possible but don't have a bog budget since they have to buy 2 seats

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
As long as they have vehicle head restraint, the Cosco Pronto, Safety 1st Boost Air Protect, and the Safety 1st store n' go are tied for tallest dedicated boosters on the market and are all budget-priced.

lourdes

As long as they have vehicle head restraint, the Cosco Pronto, Safety 1st Boost Air Protect, and the Safety 1st store n' go are tied for tallest dedicated boosters on the market and are all budget-priced.

So did a little search and the only one that is sold here in PR is the cosco and it looks like it's a little flimsy, is the evenflo right fit a good option? Stores also carrie the turbo and the big kid amp, on the turbo he was on the click before last

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
All of those are about the same height, aren't they?

”flimsy” is why they need support from the vehicle, but they do a fine job positioning the belt.

lourdes

All of those are about the same height, aren't they?

”flimsy” is why they need support from the vehicle, but they do a fine job positioning the belt.

When you say all of those above are also talking about the ones that I mentioned?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, I mean the ones you listed are all about the same height. Around 3.5-4" shorter than the ones I listed, I think.

lourdes

Ok, the mom concern is that in the moment of a crash she wants him to have some body protection, the cosco doesn't look like it will give him that...

KatieMB

Is there a difference between the evenflo amp and the graco turbo?

I don't know the difference between the two spec wise, but they looked pretty similar to me just. My 7 year old also outgrew the Maestro and the turbo booster was too narrow at the back for h to sit back comfortably, and he was at the highest setting on the seat. I'd suggest she drive to stores and put him in the seats at this point. Any of the HBB should have worked for us based on height/weight limits but they don't account for a kid being all torso, or having broad shoulders. Finding a good booster has been a bigger PITA for me than shopping for ANY other seat.

In the end, my son is mature enough for a LBB and had maybe 6 months in any HBB I could find that might work in our cars (three across) so I opted for a LBB. He sits much, much better in it and I'm surprised to say I feel better about it. However, he's 7 1/2. He wouldn't have been ready at 6.

lourdes

I don't think he is ready to be in a lbb he just stop using harness, he didn't outgrown a Maestro, it was another evenflo combination seat, the problem wasn't his height or weight, he outgrown the harness, it was so tight he cried that it was hurting his private parts, right now he is using the seat on.booster mode, the lap belt is good but the shoulder belt keeps sliding of place, this is the seat the picture is from a few months ago

View attachment 26048

Last edited:

Keeyamah

According to the measurements on this board, the Turbo has a top belt guide of 19.25" and the Amp is 19.5-20.5, so not enough time to justify, IMO. It's maybe 6 months growth time, depending on fit in the vehicle.

lourdes

According to the measurements on this board, the Turbo has a top belt guide of 19.25" and the Amp is 19.5-20.5, so not enough time to justify, IMO. It's maybe 6 months growth time, depending on fit in the vehicle.

So the amp will give him about 6 more months on a hbb than the graco, so if he was on my DD graco on the click before last you think he can last a year on the amp?

Keeyamah

So the amp will give him about 6 more months on a hbb than the graco, so if he was on my DD graco on the click before last you think he can last a year on the amp?

Hard to say, honestly. It all depends on his growth and fit in the car. What I would do, is order from somewhere with a good return so you could try it out if you really want to. Unless you can find someone local with one to try it out in the car it's gonna be in.

KatieMB

I don't think he is ready to be in a lbb he just stop using harness, he didn't outgrown a Maestro, it was another evenflo combination seat, the problem wasn't his height or weight, he outgrown the harness, it was so tight he cried that it was hurting his private parts, right now he is using the seat on.booster mode, the lap belt is good but the shoulder belt keeps sliding of place, this is the seat the picture is from a few months ago

He looks tiny in that seat to me. I'd check to make sure the crotch strap can't be adjusted or you don't have any other issues. I once had a really freaking short crotch strap on a um, I think it was a true fit, and it turned out the strap for the latch was yanking on it under the seat.

lourdes

Hard to say, honestly. It all depends on his growth and fit in the car. What I would do, is order from somewhere with a good return so you could try it out if you really want to. Unless you can find someone local with one to try it out in the car it's gonna be in.

Can't order online, no one ships to PR

lourdes

He looks tiny in that seat to me. I'd check to make sure the crotch strap can't be adjusted or you don't have any other issues. I once had a really freaking short crotch strap on a um, I think it was a true fit, and it turned out the strap for the latch was yanking on it under the seat.

I check it yesterday, turn it upside down and everything is fine

Keeyamah

Just how big is big? Do you know what size clothes he wears or can you get his height and weight from mom? But that said, the most inexpensive and tallest boosters have been mentioned in this thread, so anything else will likely be more $$.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC