RSTV for 35lb 4yo --- safe for wintry/mountain road conditions?

pinky.

Would you use the RSTV in this situation? (Safe Traffic System Ride Safer Travel Vest)

We are taking two trips over the next several months... The first trip we will only be using a taxi to our hotel and back and then won't be driving anywhere so the RSTV seems like a great option.

The second trip we are taking will involve an hour long car trip from the airport to our destination. We will be driving in the mountains during the winter with likely icy conditions. Our family that we will be visiting usually has to use chains on their tires during this time of year. So, my question is... do you think the RSTV is as safe as a 5pt harness carseat for my 35lb 4 year old? (I think she is just under 40" but I haven't measured her recently).

I've read a lot about the RSTV (here and other resources) and I'm comfortable with the safety it provides with two taxi rides in normal weather conditions. The winter mountains drive has me more concerned. We will be in the backseat with her and even if we weren't, she is a rule follower and will sit properly in the seat. We could put her in the middle of the backseat between us so I think that the RSTV will be just as safe as a 5pt harness carseat, but I just wanted to get more opinions.

I really want to buy the RSTV for the first trip and would love to be able to use it for the winter trip too since we'll already have it. I had been considering buy a maestro and having it delivered to my family out there so that they could bring it to the airport for us. If the RSTV is safe though, I don't want to spend the extra money on the Maestro since we would only be using it once a year (until she outgrows it).

Thanks in advance!

PS. If you think the RSTV is the way I should go, would you get the RSTV2 or RSTV3? (they have a newer SUV that will have a shoulder belt, so don't think I need the RSTV2 with tethers?)

ADS

pinky.

I just realized I posted this in the wrong section. Can someone please delete this one and I will add it to the correct forum? Thank you.

Athena

I did use an RSTV on a trip when my DD was that age and size! However, for that young age, I used both shoulder belt and tether for our version 2 and seated her in the middle because I didn't like her being outboard with no shell. HTH.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
The RSTV is a booster alternative. Since your child doesn't meet the minimums for what we know to be safe for a booster, I would be more comfortable with your child in a harnessed seat.

I have a RSTV and a 37 lb 4 year old. Since I'm not comfortable with him riding in a booster, I'm not comfortable with him using the RSTV yet.

Athena

The RSTV is a booster alternative. Since your child doesn't meet the minimums for what we know to be safe for a booster, I would be more comfortable with your child in a harnessed seat.

I have a RSTV and a 37 lb 4 year old. Since I'm not comfortable with him riding in a booster, I'm not comfortable with him using the RSTV yet.

That's not what I was told. The RSTV2 with the tether acts more like a harnessed seat. Otherwise, there'd me no reason to buy it because my kids would be getting too tall for it by the time they turn (my minimum) booster age.

OP, In the end, you have to decide what you're comfortable with. :)

gigi

I totally, completely 100% agree with this.

Meg

That's not what I was told. The RSTV2 with the tether acts more like a harnessed seat. Otherwise, there'd me no reason to buy it because my kids would be getting too tall for it by the time they turn (my minimum) booster age. OP, In the end, you have to decide what you're comfortable with. :)
:yeahthat: It is a harness or booster seat replacement. OP, carseatblog did a good piece on it and scroll down for the comments which are helpful in deciding between the versions:
http://carseatblog.com/21235/ride-safer-3-travel-vest-review/

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC