Pointers on how to turn the buckle tonque around on a strap.

BudgieStew

My one Radian has a buckle tongue turned the wrong way.
Until its fixed I can't use it, as it causes the strap to be twisted when attached.

Is there a trick to getting it turned around to the proper direction?Or is it going to be plain old blood sweat tears and lots of swearing.

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I just start folding the strap and sliding the tongue as I fold it more. Eventually it turns itself around.

Morganthe

Hmm, I've turned enough buckles around to know it's a true pain in the rear, especially if it's too small for the strap.

What might be a lot easier and quicker is remove the strap from the back as if you're raising/lowering the harness.

Then slip off the chest clip (Pull the middle loop out and unthread one -- then the next --

Slip off the tongue and flip it around...

reverse the above instructions ;)

Other than that, I can't suggest anything else :whistle:

good luck :)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hmm, I've turned enough buckles around to know it's a true pain in the rear, especially if it's too small for the strap.

What might be a lot easier and quicker is remove the strap from the back as if you're raising/lowering the harness.

Then slip off the chest clip (Pull the middle loop out and unthread one -- then the next --

Slip off the tongue and flip it around...

reverse the above instructions ;)

Other than that, I can't suggest anything else :whistle:

good luck :)

The buckle tongues on the Radian are a huge PITA to remove & I haven't yet tried to put the narrower ones back on, so I'm not sure if it's even possible to do just because of the thick ends where the straps are stitched.

I'd just go the fold it back and slide it over the fold route. It's got to be easier than removing the buckle tongue. Coming from someone who cursed and swore and about gave up when she switched out the buckle tongues - yet wants to put the smaller ones back on. :rolleyes:

Morganthe

Got it!!! I folded it over and it went in a few tries.:D

Now to the stress of installing it in DH's car.
Yippee! Congrats!!:thumbsup::D

I'd just go the fold it back and slide it over the fold route. It's got to be easier than removing the buckle tongue. Coming from someone who cursed and swore and about gave up when she switched out the buckle tongues - yet wants to put the smaller ones back on. :rolleyes:

Seems easier on the Radian to do it your way then. Probably because it's so much smaller than my last job doing something similiar.

I twisted around the buckle tongue/seatbelt shackle on the center belt for the Camry. The metal part was facing into the backseat when I purchased the car and had to twist everytime I used it as a 3pt or a carseat connector. Only took me 90 minutes and loads of cussing in a very hot garage! :eek:

So why are you changing back?

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I twisted around the buckle tongue/seatbelt shackle on the center belt for the Camry. The metal part was facing into the backseat when I purchased the car and had to twist everytime I used it as a 3pt or a carseat connector. Only took me 90 minutes and loads of cussing in a very hot garage! :eek:

Have you taken it to a dealer? They will look at you cross-eyed, but if you explain repeatedly, they can usually disconnect and flip quickly.

I hate flipping the buckles to remove a twist or backward latch plate on vehicle seat belts. Usually it's easier if you have more than one person - one to hold tension and the other to fold the belt and slide the latch plate.

Otherwise, I pull out the belt so it locks or I can "brace" it between my foot or upper arm and the other end of the seat belt.

Morganthe

Have you taken it to a dealer? They will look at you cross-eyed, but if you explain repeatedly, they can usually disconnect and flip quickly.

I hate flipping the buckles to remove a twist or backward latch plate on vehicle seat belts. Usually it's easier if you have more than one person - one to hold tension and the other to fold the belt and slide the latch plate.

Otherwise, I pull out the belt so it locks or I can "brace" it between my foot or upper arm and the other end of the seat belt.

I had discussed it with them via phone, but I wasn't thrilled about having to go there in person and wait for however long it took them to get around to me :rolleyes: They were very doubtful if they could do it at all. :mad:

The main problem was that the opening on the buckle for the belt on the Camry is VERY narrow. It took a lot of work to double the belt in any type of fold. But I was so proud of meself when I was done. :D

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

So why are you changing back?

I actually prefer the buckles staying in place on the straps... having to dig them out from under the bum regularly is slightly annoying when I know that the other buckle tongues didn't do that. I think I jumped on the band wagon before really deciding if my straps would even have twist problems - and then one twisted in the wider buckle tongue. :rolleyes:

(Who knows though, I reserve the right to change my mind again at any time. :whistle: ;))

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC