I've got this friend...

cryswilkins

That has a 15 month old that is smaller than my 10 month old and she is FF. :eek: She is only 19 lbs, and 28 inches. We were talking the other day and she was telling me that now that Sam is FF she is so much happier in the car. I think that I almost fell over when she told me that. I said something to the effect that she really is safer RF, but are there any other ways to approach the subject without sounding preachy?

ADS

MomToEliEm

What carseat is she using? I would try to point out that most carseats cannot be used forward facing before 20-22 pounds. She is going against manufacturer instructions which voids the manufacturer of liability if there was an accident (besides being dangerous). In some states, it is illegal to go against the manufacturer instructions on seats (not in my state though).

If you can get her e-mail, you could send her this youtube video. It is good since it shows the crash tests results of forward vs rearfacing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8

And here is a site talking about what experts recommend on extended rear facing in car seats:
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

If you only see her in person and not via e-mail or at your home (you could always sit her down in front of your computer and show her the above links though), print out this 2-sided flier.
http://www.cpsafety.com/PDFfiles/RearFacingBrochure.pdf

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Many states have a 1 AND 20lb law, so she could be breaking the law & going against manufacturer instructions. I'm not sure how to approach it without sounding preachy since it's sometimes easiest to say something when you first find out - at least when it comes to laws... but I know others will have good ideas. ;)

cryswilkins

We are going to the Zoo on Wed and I am driving, I am going to pre-install the seat (my spare) in my car RF. I will talk to her about it then. I hope that she will change her mind.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC