Vent Moldy Straps!!

MotoMommaNH

Waaahhh, my two MA70 s straps are gross and moldy after being in my basement for 6 months. I washed the covers, wiped down the straps and wrapped them back in the plastic bag they came in and boxed them up.
We got a dehumidifier a couple months ago but I guess it was too little too late.

I was planning on using them in a couple months for DD. :(

I am going to see if I can order a new set of straps for one but the other has mold on the versa tether strap and obviously that can't be replaced.

Im just so upset! Maybe I can make it better by pre-ordering an Advocate CT from Albee Baby... :drool:

ADS

MommyShannon

I think you can get new straps, but I wouldn't discourage getting a new seat. If you want to use them RF, you could get the new ARB instead of using the tether.

MotoMommaNH

Yeah using them RF for DD...kind of kidding about pre ordering, but if the cost of the harnesses ans tethers with shipping is astronomical I may do that.
I have a little Diplomat waiting as a spare that doesn't expire for another year so I could use that until November.

I didn't know the tether could be replaced! Ill have to call up Britax today.
Thanks!

thepote

Aw I'm sorry. I ended up throwing away a seat with 18m until expiration because of that. It wasn't worth it to get replacement straps at the time. I feel your pain!

ERFmama

Horrible to find. :(
I got told that the trick is to not store in lofts or basements because of this very problem, but wrap in a blanket, then in bag or box and put in a wardrobe.

Hope you get new straps for a low cost! x

MotoMommaNH

Aw I'm sorry. I ended up throwing away a seat with 18m until expiration because of that. It wasn't worth it to get replacement straps at the time. I feel your pain!

DOM on both seats are somewhere around 01/2011 . So I'm thinking it'll be worth it...its just an expense I wasn't planning for. Maybe I can sell a cover or two to make up the cost.

krasota

Yeah, the seat I put in supposedly climate-controlled storage got mold on the straps. I tossed it because ordering new straps for a Scenera was about half the cost of a new seat. Also, the tether strap was moldy, so I don't think it was residual food or drool.

henrietta

Britax may kindly offer you a nice price on a new seat ordered through them if you call. They used to sell seats straight from the warehouse. And replacement straps aren't that bad, for a seat that will get another 3 years of use. I would definitely replace. And if makes you feel any better, I did the same thing to my old Britax Decathlon a few years ago, which apparently you could not replace the adjuster strap on (it was moldy, too). I called to replace straps, but instead purchases a seat directly from them.

MotoMommaNH

Welp, it looks like the straps with shipping will amount to just about $59. Only thing is, the link they gave me did NOT have the top tether strap on there so I don't think that's something I can replace? Not sure. Emailed back for an answer and am waiting.

Either way for two seats that's almost $120....I planned on buying an Advocate/Boulevard CT down the road anyhow but I really need one of these seats for Grammy's car eventually. UGH.

So I have to weigh the benefits of $120 for 3 years left (and buying one new seat anyways) vs. using the money towards two new seats.

Pluusss, one is COW! I need to have that back in rotation. Especially if I want to buy the new Cowmoo FR90 for DS. :cool: Matchy!

Well I'm rambling now and good for you if you got this far.

Anitra

This happened to a friend of mine with her Britax as well. Sad for her, but good for me - because I had an infant on the way and an extra MyRide - I was able to trade it to her for a Chicco Keyfit her baby was outgrowing :)

MotoMommaNH

Just to follow up...the top tether can be replaced and is 27.99+ ship. I opted to skip it for now since I likely won't be using it FF and RF tethering is kind of falling out of favor for my vehicles (I have two newer Hondas).

So I ordered two sets of harnesses and adjuster straps with shipping came to just under $100.

I still want an Advocate CT in Limelight though! :) just have to wait a little longer for funds on that now

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC